“A clean, handy base for exploring the city”

Ranked #22 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel was chosen for us by the tour provider. It is in a quiet location handy to most of the tourist interest areas, but with access too awkward for a tour coach. Our room was on the first floor where they were undertaking some renovations on the terrace immediately outside, including on Sunday! It was neither quiet nor private. While our room was not spacious, the toilet and separate bathroom were. Everything was very clean. Dinner and service in La Tribuna were very good. The breakfast service was not so good, with one waiter serving and the other three having a loud conversation in the kitchen. Although the standard of English was quite high, the standard of service was variable. My husband pointed out a puddle on the polished marble floor just in front of the doors to the restaurant. The response was a shrug. The puddle was still there 24 hours later, but someone had finally found a "Wet Floor" sign.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ArenadiSerdica, General Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Finona 68,
Thank you for your recent stay at Arena di Serdica hotel and your detailed review. I appreciate guest feedback and will look into the matters you have noticed. The noise that you mention was from trimming the garden of the building behind the hotel and it was on a working week day (not on Sunday). I apologize if this has caused disturbance during your stay but we cannot control everything that is happening around us although we are trying. Myself and the staff will be happy if we can have you as our guest on your next trip to Bulgaria!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Well, it was certainly clean and well kept (in the main), however, my experience wasnt quite as nice as some of the previous reviewers. Just in the middle of a heatwave, the Aircon seemed intent on keeping the first room allocated at an unpleasant 26c. After one rather sweaty night moved to an alternative room, which was a pleasant 1c cooler despite me trying to convince the control panel that I actually wanted 18c, not enough heat to par boil an egg. The service was a little lacking. Sitting out on the terrace was not a service hotspot - continually had to go and hunt down the waitresses to pay my bill or order another drink. That being said, it wasnt a bad place and was in a good location to go see the sights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
ArenadiSerdica, General Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear RLJ899,

Thank you for your feedback and your comments. It is valuable for us and helps us see where we need to focus our efforts to provide excellent stay to our guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you again and to have the opportunity to offer you improved service and more pleasant stay!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was in Bulgaria and I stay in this hotel. The rooms are nice and I fell ok in the morning after a white night in Sofia. I visit Back Stage and I can't speak for the standard of acts over a period of time but we dropped by on two consecutive nights to catch some really laid back jazz. The atmosphere is relaxed. Definitely give it a try

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Cristian B,
Thank you for choosing Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel and for your feedback. We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Sofia.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was in Bulgaria checking it out for a tour and this was my last night before flying home. I had been thrilled with what I had seen so far in the country and when we arrived here I was very pleased...from the doorman holding the door open to check in, it was pleasant and friendly. What was so cool about this hotel is it felt very comfortable, the ambience of it was immediately attractive...and to have Roman ruins under your feet was a very special feeling.

I then went to the 8th floor where my room was, opened the door and there before me was a huge room with three full size patio doors leading out onto a 42 x 12 balcony (yes I counted the feet) I could not believe how large it was! Now the only thing funny was that there was just one chair with a small table on this balcony. Never the less it was enjoyable to sit and look out over the city before going out to dinner. There was no kettle here and I am a tea granny, but never mind! in jig time I had a kettle and a hot cup of english tea.

The bedroom was very large, then a sitting room with desk and t.v. and finally the bathroom. The bedroom had a wardrobe plus slippers and bathrobe, the sitting room had the desk, two comfy chairs and table, bar area with bar fridge, credenza for t.v. The bathroom had a shower and tub, along with the other stuff and nice L'Occitane toiletries. The bed was really comfy with great pillows.

Breakfast the next morning was in the diningroom and it was a lovely setting. My cappuccino was delicious and hot, the food was yummy and varied with everything from frest fruit to that wonderful pastry filled with feta cheese to cold meats and cheeses to eggs, bacon and sausage.

I think the only thing that would have made it more perfect is fresh orange juice...the real thing. This hotel calls for the real thing. The view from your table is to the patio area that gets spiffed up for outside dining and is full of greenery. It had been raining out so the picture I have taken is from one of the ones up on the elevator wall. The view inside the dining room is of lovely pale yellow and dark wood. There is a spa as well. It is on a very quiet street in an easy to get around area that you can walk and shop in...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ICanTravelPanama
ArenadiSerdica, General Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice words and I am happy that you really enjoyed your time at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel! We really appreciate the opinion of people who have traveled and seen a lot and it is a pleasure to have you as our guest. Our team will always welcome you with a warm smile and excellent service!

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is built over the ruins of a Roman fighting arena you can visit below the lobby. It is centrally located at the e nd of a quiet dead-end short street. The entrance and lobby are bright and attractive. We splurged on a 7th floor Deluxe Suite and were pleased with our two large rooms although the view over the rooftops was not of interest.
Breakfast was very good but not opulent.
The hotel is certainly worth a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2013
ArenadiSerdica, General Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear KenatRSF,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel. You are always welcome here and our team will be happy if you visit us on your next trip to Sofia!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights in sofia as tourists and think this has to be one of the best located hotels for exploring the city, the room was comfortable and the toilet (and a second sink) has its own room separate from the shower. Te shower itself was great and the toiletries are L'Occitane. Our only real complaint about the room was the lumpy pillows! But, when I finally remembered to ask for a feather pillow, it was produced immediately. There is a lovely spa in the basement of the hotel, and incorporated into the roman ruins, our massages were fine, but because they were Swedish massage, we were not entitled to use the steam or sauna which seems silly, surely hotel guests should all be allowed to use such facilities, as they are allowed to use the fitness room.... Interestingly the hotel is quite uncrowded on weekends, being more of a business hotel. We did find that odd given its great location but I guess that is probably because sofia isn't in the top ten of most people's destination wish lists! We had a few other minor issues, but they really were minor (the breakfast staff appeared bored and fairly unhelpful until a large diplomatic group arrived) and if We were returning to sofia we would definitely stay againat the arena

Room Tip: There are a few nightclubs in the area so if you are going to stay at Arena on a saturday night, ask...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peripateticprincess
ArenadiSerdica, General Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear peripateticprincess,

Thank you for your recent stay at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel and your feedback. We take all guest feedback really seriously and we will look into your experience with our breakfast staff and we promise that all the necessary actions will be taken. I am happy to hear that you had a chance to try most of the services in the hotel. Some of the massages in the wellness club include complimentary use of sauna and steam bath, but not all of them. Also if you book Junior or Deluxe suite the wellness is free. On our website you can find special spa packages. We will wait to welcome you back you on your next trip to Sofia and to have the opportunity to offer you improved service and same pleasant stay!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Sofia does not yet offer an inspiring array of world class hotel options however this one is well located, just a few steps from the old city with its yellow brick road and stunning array of historic buildings. Staff here speak English, are helpful and can offer useful insights for what to see and do around Sofia. Rooms lack charm but are clean, large and comfortable especially by Sofia standards. My bathroom had plenty of hot water, fluffy towels and Occitane bath amenities. The view outside my room extended to the snow covered mountains. Breakfast was fine, a buffet including fresh fruit and Bulgarian cheeses. From here its an easy walk to most of Sofia's interesting sites.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ArenadiSerdica, Manager at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear PoppyHopper,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel! Rooms are decorated according to the hotel theme- the roman amphitheater. In the decoration are used wrought iron, wood and warm colors. I am also happy to hear that you had a great experience with our staff. We sincerely thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Sofia!