New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Boutique charm in leafy area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofia Residence

Sofia Residence
Ranked #40 of 127 Hotels in Sofia
“Boutique charm in leafy area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed twice at the beginning of our holiday in Bulgaria and at the very end. Three of the four rooms were magnificent and the fourth, on the very top floor, was wonderful but the access was tricky. We've never had such a spacious room as one that had separate bathroom and lounge and in addition a free standing, claw footed bath in an extension of the already generously sized bedroom. What a pity it was only for one night. The tiny lobby/reception area gave no clue as to the spacious rooms upstairs. Staff very pleasant. Very good restaurants in neighbourhood.

Not part of the review of the hotel but the Free Walking Tour of Sofia was excellent and opened up the city for us.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ray Margaret G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Orpington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Residence as with all others we found it to be charming and cosy. The staff were always friendly and helpful beyond what would normally be expected. A little side note for the Management we would recommend that as there is no Room Service that you would consider putting tea/coffee making facilities into each room/suite, only a minor thing as they did supply us a kettle when they realised it would be easier for us. We will be returning to both Sofia and the Residence in the future

Room Tip: Sredetz Suite is where we stayed cannot fault it
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spencer4laura
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and were looking for a boutique place close to the City center. Couldn't have wished for anything better. This charming townhouse-type hotel was just perfect. Our suite was spacious and perfectly equipped (including a fully-stuffed) bar, the staff was extremely helpful and eager to accommodate. The hotel is located on a charming quite street with numerous cafes and convenience stores. The city center (Alexander Nevsky Cathedral) is within 10-minute walk. Also, very reasonably priced, particularly as compared to Western European or US equivalents. Would definitely stay there next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Go for the attic
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IsraCane
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

For a year I got to stay at this hotel many times for work. My boss got a room at the Oborishte one trip and told me that I had to request it on my next trip. It turned out to be an excellent find.

The people who work there are friendly. The breakfasts were always great for going into a sometimes long day at work. I stayed in many of the rooms in the hotel. They all looked nice, were clean, and were comfortable. The room right below the penthouse toward the back is probably my favorite. Though, in summer when a thunder storm rolls through, I would sit up in the penthouse and watch the storm while drinking wine. It was pretty excellent.

The neighborhood is excellent. Its changed even in the year I was there. There are lot trendy restaurants appearing. I passed a fancy-looking cheese and wine shop last time I was there.

I recently left my job for better things and won't get to go back for a while. These folks run a good hotel and they made my trips away from home excellent, so I am leaving a nice note. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Luke C
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

With a just very few rooms, this Hotel has very warmth atmosphere! It is very private and charming, the stuff is very nice and great food! Very big and fantastic rooms! Very good location! I recommend it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very big and beautiful. Only the one in the top is a little bit smaller than the o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AMLQ2830
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here last month, and were delighted to have found such a gem.

The positives:

1) It's located in a leafy, peaceful district favoured by foreign embassies - and is just a few minutes walk from Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Other key tourist attractions are about 15 minutes away by foot.

2) Forget what you might have read in other reviews; although this gorgeous little property is predominantly aimed at couples or single business travellers, it is possible to share a room with a friend. We enquired in advance and were given a beautifully decorated, immaculate suite - Tzarevetz - where the stylish, oversized sofa was converted into a second bed for us.

3) Breakfast is fantastic. Yes, you have to order the evening before, but this is only the slightest of inconveniences. In return, you can opt to have breakfast in your room (they don't apply room service charges here) or downstairs - both until very late in the morning. The portions are enormous, too. And there's a lot of choice. I can seriously recommend the Bulgarian breakfast.

4) The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They helped us sort out a little medical emergency without batting an eyelid, and were on-hand to deal with any requests we had - from sourcing a guide for a trip out of the city to answering questions about Sofia itself to providing free wifi passwords.

5) The on-site restaurant, Landau, was really well-priced - considering that it is a hotel restaurant. Both service and quality/menu options were great.

The negatives?

None. Seriously, you could nit-pick about little things, such as the fact that Residence Oborishte doesn't have a night porter or the fact that it doesn't offer a couple of rooms with twin beds. But these fade into insignificance when you compare them to what you get.

All in all, I would very much recommend Residence Oborishte - to couples, single travellers or small groups of friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank travels_regularly
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Friendly stuff, excellent rooms, bars, food etc. I can truly recommend it! I forgot my scarf somewhere and they found it took good care of it until my friend picked it up and sent it to me.
Larry Kärkkäinen, Helsinki, Finland

Room Tip: I had "Serdnica". Jolly good!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple