“Centrally located, friendly staff, fast internet, nice but pleasant rooms”
Review of Art Otel

Art Otel
Ranked #44 of 132 Hotels in Sofia
Blonay, Switzerland
“Centrally located, friendly staff, fast internet, nice but pleasant rooms”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

What I liked: Very helpful and friendly reception. Rooms relatively small, but this was not a problem for me. Very fast and smooth wireless internet. Hotel in short walking distance to most sights and amenities (restaurants etc.).
What I didn’t like: Elevator a bit slow. Difficult for taxis to come to hotel (one way street).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Yes, I agree with other reviewers lobby is smokey (you feel it since you first enter), but then- you have a hotel really in city center for 45 euro/day!!! Room was very big (just compare with any hotel room in center of Paris/Wien??), clean, bathroom huge also. Breakfast lousy- but you do not have to pay for it, and you have plenty of cafes/bars/restaurants just a few meters away... Staff was friendly, and I`ve paid by card w/o any issue:)
Overall- i`ll definitely go back.

Room Tip: ask a room with a terrace, and at a higher level
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
oslo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed here many times. All main museums, art galleries, restaurants and shopping all within a few minute´s walk. Staff very friendly and helpful. Carpets a bit shabby and the place is a bit funky, but I like that....

Room Tip: Choose one at the back for peace and quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank maditkatt
Bucharest
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am regularly in Sofia for business and until now stayed at the Art'Otel. It wasn't perfect, but it was well located and not too expensive. Staff were friendly. It's been noticeably going downhill on my last visits. The breakfast is now pretty poor and the rooms look outdated and dark. My previous trip sealed the deal - there was no hot water or heating (in November), wireless didn't work and credit card payment wasn't possible (this has happened several times, so perhaps staff should try telling people before they check out?). Complaints met with "it's not our fault", which is irrelevant - the hotel failed to provide basic services that had been paid for. My company will now take it's business elsewhere and I recommend that you do too - there are better options in Sofia.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Phil J

Travelers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a really horrible, threatening experience here. The hotel itself is adequate but gloomy and stinks of stale smoke - not surprising when friends of the receptionist hang out all day in the foyer smoking- but the staff were threatening and scared me. When I went to check out I was told the credit card machine wouldn't work. I was confronted by 3 young men at the desk, only one of whom spoke English, demanding in a very nasty manner that I pay in cash. I went to the cash point but was only allowed to take out 400 leva. The bill was 440. I scraped together every last leva I had including my taxi fare to the airport but still only had 437 leva. I asked them to accept this and they became extremely hostile and aggressive. They even asked me to ask one of the other hotel guests to pay! The man on the desk said that the other men would accompany back to the cash point to see if I was telling the truth. I was told there was no manager to speak to and that this was my problem not theirs. All the time the two other men were standing very close to me and smoking and I was genuinely frightened by this point. In the end I gave them my email address and told them to invoice me for the rest. However then they refused to give me a receipt for the money I had paid and I was expected to leave 437 in cash on the desk with no receipt. Another row ensured and I did get it eventually but I have no idea if this was all a big scam to get me to pay in cash which they then would pocket. I was just relieved to leave but then had to walk 25 minutes across town to get a bus to the airport with my very last leva. Needless to say the staff at the hotel had told me there was no bus and there was nothing they could do. I made my flight by a whisker and have never been more grateful to see BA in my life.
This was the worst hotel expereince I have ever had and I would not recommend that anyone stays here. I am well travelled and quite used to staying on my own and I have never felt as intimidated as I was by the horrible thugs here.

Room Tip: Higher up is less noisy but all the rooms smell of stale smoke
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Heather M
Israel
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Good location about 50 meters from Vitosha boulevard. The breakfast was excellent

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2011

'Art' doesn't describe the tasteless decor of this shabby, ill-managed, den. Frayed carpets, smoke-smelling foyer, cheaply-fitted rooms, inexpert service, all create a rather low-glamour ambience. You would be better off elsewhere at no greater expense.

I complained about the smoke in the foyer, and the receptionist said it came from the hotel manager.

If you want 'black' tea for breakfast, then take your own.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business