“A threatening and horrible place - avoid”
Review of Art Otel

Art Otel
Ranked #43 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A threatening and horrible place - avoid”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a really horrible, threatening experience here. The hotel itself is adequate but gloomy and stinks of stale smoke - not surprising when friends of the receptionist hang out all day in the foyer smoking- but the staff were threatening and scared me. When I went to check out I was told the credit card machine wouldn't work. I was confronted by 3 young men at the desk, only one of whom spoke English, demanding in a very nasty manner that I pay in cash. I went to the cash point but was only allowed to take out 400 leva. The bill was 440. I scraped together every last leva I had including my taxi fare to the airport but still only had 437 leva. I asked them to accept this and they became extremely hostile and aggressive. They even asked me to ask one of the other hotel guests to pay! The man on the desk said that the other men would accompany back to the cash point to see if I was telling the truth. I was told there was no manager to speak to and that this was my problem not theirs. All the time the two other men were standing very close to me and smoking and I was genuinely frightened by this point. In the end I gave them my email address and told them to invoice me for the rest. However then they refused to give me a receipt for the money I had paid and I was expected to leave 437 in cash on the desk with no receipt. Another row ensured and I did get it eventually but I have no idea if this was all a big scam to get me to pay in cash which they then would pocket. I was just relieved to leave but then had to walk 25 minutes across town to get a bus to the airport with my very last leva. Needless to say the staff at the hotel had told me there was no bus and there was nothing they could do. I made my flight by a whisker and have never been more grateful to see BA in my life.
This was the worst hotel expereince I have ever had and I would not recommend that anyone stays here. I am well travelled and quite used to staying on my own and I have never felt as intimidated as I was by the horrible thugs here.

Room Tip: Higher up is less noisy but all the rooms smell of stale smoke
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Heather M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Israel
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Good location about 50 meters from Vitosha boulevard. The breakfast was excellent

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2011

'Art' doesn't describe the tasteless decor of this shabby, ill-managed, den. Frayed carpets, smoke-smelling foyer, cheaply-fitted rooms, inexpert service, all create a rather low-glamour ambience. You would be better off elsewhere at no greater expense.

I complained about the smoke in the foyer, and the receptionist said it came from the hotel manager.

If you want 'black' tea for breakfast, then take your own.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I had the name Arte Hotel, a lone taxi driver at the bus station who had no clue where that might be (I had forgotten to write the address down) but he looked something up and took me to Art Otel instead! Which fortunately had rooms. Very lovely surprise. Comfy room but a cold day so staff gave me a small heater to make sure I really was all comfy and cozy! Extra service goes a long way when you're tired and cold after a long bus ride. The location is perfect as well, right in the center and in a rather artsy district. Seemed to be lots of good restaurants around and little markets. Hotel also recommended "United Europe" Free Walking Tours, an approximately three hour walk around historic Sofia with a very knowledgeable young woman. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice. This lovely little hotel made my Sofia time rich and rewarding. I keep forgetting to add, every hotel I've stayed in has had free wifi that has worked well---and windows that open. In this aspect Europe is way ahead of U.S.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel over a number of years for period ranging one night to a month. On this occassion I returned for one night on business after a gap of a year. I am pleased to report it is still a good small friendly hotel. It is in the heart of Sofia and provides good value accomodation that is near to all the shops and restaurants. If you want clean good value accomodation near to the shops, restaurants, museums and theatres this is it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times in the last three years. During my last stay, I noticed that the service, the breakfast quality and the room quality has diminished. My room was like a cave with improper lighting. The breakfast was terrible. The once charming hotel is making cuts while keeping its price point. This is NOT a four star or three star hotel. I'll give it two stars.

Room Tip: As fpr a room on the third or fourth floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
rode heath
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Good price on hotels.com for a stopover from tryavna for early morning flight next day.Right in the middle of the old quarter right next to principal buildings and a shopping arcade just around the corner.Comfortable bed and tidy room ,good shower so just right for a rest and roam and sleepover.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple