“One of the higher end HI hotel...5 star hotel”
Review of Holiday Inn Sofia

Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“One of the higher end HI hotel...5 star hotel”
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Location: Out of the center of Sofia downtown. Located in what seems like a relatively new business park. Taxi and bus accessible, though beware that for the bus (found behind the cinema) it takes sometime to get to somewhere near downtown but still requires about 10 mins by foot to the city center.
Staff: Very friendly staff. Felt very welcome and staff spoke very good English. Informative about most general common questions.
Rooms: Very modern and clean rooms. Nicely designed for both business and leisure travellers. Good amenities. Good temperature control too.
Food/drinks: Good selection of food and drinks. Prices are quite ok compared to western Europe standard, but as expected,slightly more expensive than normal bars and restaurants on the street.
Status recognition: This is the only downside. Although recognized as Plat member, no visual or other perks provided. Not even sure if my room was an upgraded one. Only provided with a 10% F&B voucher which I think is quite lame. No other recognition provided. Maybe a free b'fast or some other perks would have been nice.
Overall: Good business hotel if you have to be around the area. For pure touristic purposes, a bit far from the main tourist attractions, unless you have a car or willing to pay for the taxi or the long bus ride.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
pagm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Sofia. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your pleasant experience with us.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service to all our guests and it is truly rewarding when they recognize our staff’s efforts.

Priority Club Rewards Members are highly valued at our property. Although we do not offer free breakfast, we provide them with 10% discount on restaurant bills. Moreover, PCR Platinum Members benefit from VIP room setup with complimentary chocolate and mineral water, newspaper and room upgrade upon availability.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Sofia.

Holiday Inn Sofia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This was my third visit to the Holiday Inn Sofia and I was pleased with my stay (again).

The hotel is still incredibly clean, and the service from the front desk friendly and efficient.

The fitness center and pool are great and help make the trip more enjoyable. I am always here on business so I always bring a bathing suit so I can relax with the great facilites.

Once again, rooms immaculate and incredibly clean also.

One thing I've noticed from my other stays, which is also nice: The price on the rooms gets cheaper with each visit.

Now, to the one thing that wasn't perfect and still isn't about this hotel: the breakfast and the service provided therein.

It definitely isn't the worst, but there is room for improvement. In my last review I complained about the price. I am looking at the bill for the hotel and the price on breakfast is 35.21 lev. That is 18 Euro or 23.50 USD. This is totally overpriced for Bulgaria, and in relation to the prices the hotel charges for the rooms. Just because other hotels charge similar prices in Sofia doesn't make it right. If your friends jump off a cliff, would you do it too???

So you can read that I still ate there, but I wouldn't have if my company wasn't paying for it.

Also, the service in the rest. was in general not that great, especially compared with that in the rest of the hotel. We always had to ask for coffee, then we got extras we didn't need, it took 5 minutes more to get milk for the coffee we had already asked for, one day there was a run on scrambled eggs and we could never get any in the time we had to eat....service was quite slow in general and the impression that I got was that the waitstaff didn't know how to handle busy times at all and/or had no experience waiting tables. The wait staff was good at clearing plates but the whole coffee thing was just a mess.

I'd suggest better training to waitstaff and the use of coffepots for tables--it's much more efficient in the mornings when not everyone has time to wait around on coffee.

So to sum up, very nice hotel for the money, but again, breakfast overpriced. Eat on your own in the morning if possible.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank american_expat_CPH
pagm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your views following your most recent stay at Holiday Inn Sofia.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior standards and service to our valued repeat customers such as yourself, and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.We would also mention that our breakfast prices are inclusive of 20% VAT and are the best value breakfast offering in Sofia whilst also being at the most affordable prices. For 15.00 EUR, our full Buffet Breakfast not only provides you with the extensive buffet offering, but includes the entire A La Carte breakfast menu and unlimited coffee.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Sofia in the near future and to doing our best to make your stay a perfect one.

Kind Regards
Essex
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Myself and my Business partner have stayed in this Hotel on 3 separate occasions and each time it has been fantastic. All the staff, from the reception to the barstaff, are so friendly and efficient. The rooms and gym area are superb and the Hotel is so clean and fresh. It is on the outskirts of Sofia but superb for the Airport. It takes approx 20mins by cab to get to the centre of Sofia (12 mins back at night!) The food in the restaurant is exceptional. I travel to Sofia twice per year and will not bother to check out any other Hotel because this meets our needs and in my view is the best.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
pagm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, April 22, 2009
Dear Guest

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your very positive views of your stay with us. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts. Your comments will be shared with the team as motivation to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Sofia a leader in excellence. Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2009

My husband has stayed here several times since the hotel opened and always comes home delighted with his experience. This year I went with him & stayed for 5 days, now I know how he feels. Its a 5 star hotel without an attitude.
The hotel is beautiful in appearance & very welcoming. The staff were excellent at all times. Our room was wonderful, very clean & very comfortable. It even comes with a pillow menu! Loved the comfortable bed. For those of you fans of the Colum & Jim Jim show....there's a phone in the Jacks:) The bathroom was so great, clean & fully equiped. If you forget toiletries dont worry it's all supplied free of charge. There's also a T.V. in each room with a good variety of channels.
I just loved the food, we ate loads....never once got anything remotely bad. If your lucky enough to stay here make room for dessert it's amazing. The staff were so friendly, they were professional with personality. Loved them:)
I recommended this hotel to a friend who went last oct 2008, she loved it too.
So looking forward to going back to stay here!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
pagm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, February 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Holiday Inn Sofia Team, we would like to thank you for the wonderful comments you have provided following your stay with at Holiday Inn Sofia. We are delighted to read about your positive experience at our hotel and are very grateful to have you as our loyal customers. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Hampshire
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I have been staying at the Holiday Inn in Sofia on business over the past 12 months and I feel obliged to give my feedback on this site. I must have spent around 155 nights over a 14 visits during this period.....In terms of the hotel itself, it is very clean, modern and tidy with a great modern fitness centre including gym, swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi as well as offering a large variety of massages services. The staff are "Absolutely Faboulous" and without a doubt the service they provide is the best I have had when compared with any of the my other hotel experiences over the past 30 years. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and on many occassions they have gone that "extra yard" to ensure that my stays have always been pleasant and trouble free. I for one will always have very fond memories of my time in Sofia and a lot of this is due to the great service, food and the hospitality provided by the staff and management of the Holiday Inn Sofia. THANK YOU.

The quality of the food especially the breakfast is very good when also compared to the other hotels......

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DC2008Hampshire
pagm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
Dear Guest

In my capacity as General Manager of the Holiday Inn Sofia, it fills me with great pride and gives me and the team real pleasure to read of your wonderful stay with us. We thank you for your custom and your very kind comments. We are very pleased that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations which is what we strive to achieve for all our guests

Thank you once again for being our valued guest and we hope to see you again at Holiday Inn Sofia in the not too distant future.”

Kind regards,

Birmingham
Reviewed September 21, 2008

This is a great hotel in the fast developing business district (still a little quiet when we were there) the quality of the hotel was excellent, the swimming pool has panoramic views and you can relax whilst looking up at the mountains. Restaurant was good and all the best of Holiday Inn

• Liked — The highest standard I've stayed at in Bulgaria, a great quality hotel
  • Disliked — It was pretty expensive - check for deals
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
Reviewed March 8, 2008

This is a modern hotel situated in a new Business Park area at the edge of the city.
The rooms are well equipped and comfortable. My only issue is with the air conditioning/heating: guests cannot turn it off - the best I could do was to change the fan setting from Auto to minimum.
The staff were all exceptionally helpful and friendly at all times.
There is a very good selection at breakfast to cater for anybody's taste - from the simple croissant to the full English breakfast.
We ate three meals in the hotel restaurant and were not disappointed by any of the dishes - and we enjoyed all 3 bottles of Bulgarian wine as well.
I took advantage of the hotel shuttle bus both from and to the airport - being greeted by the driver holding a sign with my name on arrival - well worth 10 Bulgarian Leva (~5 EUR).

• Liked — Modern, clean and good, friendly service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)