“Could have spent a lot more time here”

National Museum of History
and up
Vitosha Mountain Hike with Bulgarian Food Tasting Private Tour from Sofia
Ranked #15 of 188 things to do in Sofia
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of History has the most impressive collection of national treasures and is the largest museum in Bulgaria. Through more than 650,000 artifacts – Thracian gold and silver, pottery, icons, art & jewelry, mosaics – it tells the story of the European civilization from the dawn of times to the modernity. With focus on the 1300 years history of the Bulgarian state, the museum is a must-see attraction to visit while in Sofia. Closed on national holidays - 1 Jan, 24, 25 Dec.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you are in Sofia the last Monday of the month there is no entry fee. We visited on the 1st Monday though and it was still well worth the admission. The only problem is we went after visiting the Boyana church and ended up short on time.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I visited the National Museum of History right after my visit to Boyana church. It's just south of the tram station, so it takes only 30min. or so from the Sofia city center by tram 5 which costing only 1lev. The museum costs 10lev. for the entrance. There is a free WC and 3 souvenir shops inside. The 1st floor has many gold items and Christian religious items. Some armors and weapons from the Middle Ages just like the popular historical museums.
The downside is the high security despite of the loose personal belonging holding. The museum prohibits: photo taking, bags, and so on. I visited there after I received new bank/credit cards after someone stole my wallet few weeks ago. The reception simply gives you a number card for your bags and coats to be hanged on the hanger behind of the counter. You know, I already got pickpocketed near the Halite mall and I did not want anything stolen even by accident like another guest mistook my belongings and such. No locker nor keys to keep everything under control. I wanted to make my visit there short and I tried to walk very quickly and found a female clerk following me and asked me what was the matter in English. I said I'm in harry and made all the walk done in 10 minutes. Later, a security guy showed up near me when I was about to leave and get my side bag from the reception. I just felt the security got some wrong motivation for checking me out there.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Fantastic exhibition of Thracian Gold and 7000 year old pottery makes this somewhere not to be missed. You could easily spend most of a day here following the whole of Bulgarian history bot whatever you do don't miss the exhibition of 2,500 year gold which shows craftsmanship that we find difficult to match today

Reviewed June 18, 2013

nice half day, wish we had more time. There are many many interesting things to see, give it a try and its only a short distance from Sofia center...

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I found a lot of Belgian references in this museum, so for Belgians is this the museum to visit although the price of 10 Lev was high, and the garden not maintained (should be nice when they maintain it) the contents of the museum is very nice. A lot of fine golden pieces of ancient times alone worth of seeing it.
There is also a film department donated by a family with pieces out of different movies. Less interesting.

2  Thank Yoda T