“A Good Place to Stay in Sofia”
Review of Grand Hotel Sofia

Grand Hotel Sofia
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
La Mirada, California
“A Good Place to Stay in Sofia”
Reviewed June 13, 2007

My husband & I stayed at this hotel as part of our Bulgaria & Romania package tour last May 2007. The hotel is centrally located and is walking distance to several major sights of the city. Reception staff service was acceptable; porters/bellboys' service prompt and excellent. We were given an executive room facing the Vitosha Mountains (I think that's what it is) and a busy main street down below, which did not bother us at all, since it was so quiet and peaceful inside our room. I believe the rooms across our room are better rooms to book because they face the City garden & the Ivan Vazov National Theatre, which for me, is a nicer view from one's room. Our room is humongous and very clean although I'll say it's time for the carpets to be replaced. The room also came with complimentary bottle of water daily during the duration of your stay, a small bottle of red Bulgarian wine on day of check-in, room safe, breakfast daily and internet access. What we like most about the room is the huge and tastefully designed bathroom. One can just have a relaxing bubble bath in there after a long day of sightseeing.
Breakfast was more than adequate. They have cereals, juices, various kinds of breads & pastries, fruits & some other food items I personally do not recognize. One can also order omelette which will be prepared in front of you. However, the numerous times we were there, nobody was stationed to cook the omellettes. No big deal, however, our biggest peeve was the slow service by the waiters even though they are not busy. We are not demanding Americans, but most of the time it took forever for anybody to approach us to ask if we want coffee or tea.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel. We would not hesitate to recommend this place to our friends & family.

• Liked — huge clean room
  • Disliked — mediocre staff service except the bellboys/porters
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gctravelbug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I met a bulgarian girl in a nightclub and she agreed to come with me in my hotel room at Grand Hotel Sofia but what was my surprise when the receptionist refused to let her in because she might be a prostitute (I wonder why this should bother me so much since the prostitution is not a crime in Bulgaria) and I couldn't convince them by any means that I can take care of myself pretty well. They ruined my night and my stay at this hotel. I guess that the guys at the reception have some kind of financial agreement with call-girls agencies not to let the competitors in Grand Hotel Sofia. I really didn't care if my girl was a streetwalker or not - I think I have the right when paying load of money to stay at a certain hotel to be able to invite my friends to visit me for couple of hours in my room.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
44 Thank wild_stag
Munich
Reviewed March 7, 2007

Stayed business-wise at the Grand Hotel at the end of February 2007. Rooms are above average spacious and if you have a room not to the street side, you will have a nice view on one of the main squares of Sofia. Breakfast rooms are a bit lacking of atmosphere. The biggest asset in my opinion is the location in the heart of Sofia. If you go to Sofia for sightseeing purpose I would definitely recommend it compared to the Hilton or the Kempinski (which are in the south of the city centre). Only the SAS Radisson and the Sheraton are also situated in the real city centre. If I return to Sofia, I would definitely come back there again.

• Liked — Very large rooms, good view, central location
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank MunichVagabond
Sussex
Reviewed January 12, 2007

Stayed there few nights over New Year. Nice size room with good balcony (meant to be Executive Room although you not really getting anything extra for the Executive bit e.g. check-in/out, happy hour, executive lounge with snacks etc). Hotel good location. However I am really surprised for the "Best Hotel" award!!! Few problems from the time we walked in and despite staying there for 3 nights nobody did anything, apologised or small gesture even! We stayed on the 9th Floor and could not have a shower as the water was changing from freezing to boiling every 2 seconds. After a speedy call to the front desk(which was another problem as the speed numbers were not working and the usual "0" was not the operator or from desk ...i think was 100) i had to call an outside line to the hotel (they've had the cheek to charge me for the call as well!!!) I was greeted with a comment on the sort of "Why you bothering me with your problems?!" . I know it is the prevailing attitude in Bulgaria but being a 5 star hotel and best in Sofia as they like to claim I expected a bit of interest in the problem. We complained every day that we are unable to shower properly and took me 30 mins everyday for the simple shower because you had to go under and out of the shower every few seconds when the water temperature changed...On day two a girl on the front desk did admit that they knew about the water problem but thought it has been fixed. For 4 days not one person apologised, offered an alternative room or even acknowledged us. The picolos, porters and front desk staff more interested in chatting at the front desk instead of helping with luggage, doors, greet etc. Concierge is an alien term for them. Duty Manager does not exist or if it does not interested....more like having a cigarette and coffee...No point staying in a hotel if you can not have a shower!!! Simple!!! Other problem is with the cigarette smoke coming through the airconditioning. Despite being allocated a non-smoking room smoke from other floors probably gets in your room and it's highly unpleasant when you trying to sleep and smelling smoke all night. Again, no action despite number of complaints....it might be a good hotel but not a 5 star and the service ...not that existed but whatever we saw ...was more like 1 star if that...As a regular traveller I would revert back to the Radisson - 20 times better (including service, facilities and best breakfast in any hotel in the world...and I do travel a lot).....Even hotel "Anel" (another small "5" star hotel ) would be a better option.... I know they give the stars very easy, hence I find it useful to read about hotels here on the advisor....at least gives an idea of the place.....about this place however my advice would be....skip it!!! Go for the Radisson, Hilton, Anel even....

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont waste your money....look for an alternative-Hilton, Radisson etc.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank snan
london, uk
Reviewed December 13, 2006

the hotel is nice with massive rooms but my room had air conditioning problems so i made them change my room in the middle of the night to a less nice room. food is good and there is a terrace to sit outside. location is fine.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank jwdw
London
Reviewed November 11, 2006

An absolute delight. I had a suite that was atleast 80m2. The rate was only 200 Euros. The bathroom was huge. Service is A1. I am a regular traveller to Sofia. I would recommend this over the Kempinski and Hilton. Only the Sheraton is better, but then the rooms are more expensive.

The only drawback is the lobby which is quite small and not appropriate for business meetings.

• Liked — room size for the money
  • Disliked — lobby is small
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank tornado78
greenwich, CT
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Great location, beautiful room. Screwed us on the rate - wouldn't give us what showed on our reservation, citing some fine print about it being 'subject to change'. If you don't care how much you spend (or get charged rather), it's a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple