“Trouble free if uninspiring stay!”
Review of Grand Hotel Sofia

Grand Hotel Sofia
Ranked #4 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Had a very pleasant stay, being a frequent traveller to Bulgaria I suppose a lot of what irritated other travellers barely rated... rooms are really large, and the non-smoking room was smoke free (which makes a change in this country!).

Staff were disinterested, but once you got their attention they did deal with the issue. Room service was okay, and prompt. Bathrooms were decadent, but as with some other reviews, water temperature fluctuated.

Great location, good parking availability, which is a big plus, and very clean. One of the better hotels in Sofia, good english skills which makes things much less stressful, though for the price I was expecting more.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Christanna B

Reviewed April 14, 2008

Stayed two nights on business. The hotel suited my needs. It is very central, very clean and comfortable but a little uninspiring. The room I sayed in was very large - almost too large. I was told that the building was originaly designed as an office block and then made into a hotel resulting in very deep rooms. Bathroom was very clean and had a bath and separate cubicle shower; the only niggle was that the water temperature was a little tempremental, on the plus side the shower pressure was very good. Room was standard large hotel decor (nothing wrong with it but you could have been in a hotel room anywhere in the world i.e. no real character or particular style) and has a huge bed, TV, minibar, safe wardrobes, large picture window, sofa, desk, TV . Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was perfectly adequate with a variety of hot and cold buffet food. Overall a safe bet in Sofia, but next time I might try somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I've stayed in this hotel in August 2006 during a tour trip to Bulgaria. This hotel is very central, the rooms are spacious and nicely decorated in a classic style. During breakfast I had an omelette prepared in front of me with the ingredients I chose, which was delicious! It was one of the best hotels I've stayed in Bulgaria and I would definetely stay again in this hotel if I'll come back to Sofia!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I have stayed in this hotel twice on business trips to Sofia, most recently in January of 2008. The hotel is very nice and, for the most part, probably does deserve its 5-star rating. The bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious, well furnished, clean, and comfortable. The service and the breakfast are both very good - although it would have been nice to have my coffee cup refilled a bit more promptly during breakfast. (It's not as though the breakfast room was extremely busy while I was there.) The fitness room is small and doesn't open until 7:30 so no chance for an early morning workout if you need to be somewhere by 9am.

I think my only significant complaint is that the hotel lacks a certain character or flavor. If you didn't look out the windows, you would have absolutely no idea where in the world this hotel was located. If I need to visit Sofia again, my inclination is to select either a lower priced alternative or a hotel that offers something truly special at the same price level.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank DKO
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Stayed here a few times during trips to Sofia over the past year for 1 or 2 nights at a time.

Check In/Check Out

Service at the desk has been excellent each time I've visited. The staff are among the top in the city. They make a conscious effort to remember your name and are good with suggestions around the city. The bell service beats any in the city & the underground valet parking is excellent for anyone with a car.

Room

The rooms are in the pricier region of the higher end hotels in the city, but are by far the largest for a standard or executive. Each of the rooms on the top floor is fashioned with a huge balcony which is nice. There are nice touches in the rooms such as the small bottle of wine as mentioned previously. The bathrooms are definitely nicer than other hotels in it's class in the city. As mentioned earlier, there is an issue with hot/cold water in the showers. It's apparently a top floor thing and you have to figure out just the exact position to turn the shower knob.

Breakfast is nothing special, but it is not bad. Other hotels in this class in the city, (i.e. Sheraton & Radisson) put on a much more impressive spread. Have never eaten a meal but have sat out on the patio and enjoyed a drink/dessert which is a somewhat nice location.

Location

Is excellently placed for exploring Sofia. In fact, arguably the best placed among the luxury hotels for visiting the city center shopping/historical sights.

All in all, I wouldn't avoid this hotel on future trips to Sofia as it can be quite comfortable but it is not the top on my list.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Faithful_Suitcase
Reviewed June 13, 2007

My husband & I stayed at this hotel as part of our Bulgaria & Romania package tour last May 2007. The hotel is centrally located and is walking distance to several major sights of the city. Reception staff service was acceptable; porters/bellboys' service prompt and excellent. We were given an executive room facing the Vitosha Mountains (I think that's what it is) and a busy main street down below, which did not bother us at all, since it was so quiet and peaceful inside our room. I believe the rooms across our room are better rooms to book because they face the City garden & the Ivan Vazov National Theatre, which for me, is a nicer view from one's room. Our room is humongous and very clean although I'll say it's time for the carpets to be replaced. The room also came with complimentary bottle of water daily during the duration of your stay, a small bottle of red Bulgarian wine on day of check-in, room safe, breakfast daily and internet access. What we like most about the room is the huge and tastefully designed bathroom. One can just have a relaxing bubble bath in there after a long day of sightseeing.
Breakfast was more than adequate. They have cereals, juices, various kinds of breads & pastries, fruits & some other food items I personally do not recognize. One can also order omelette which will be prepared in front of you. However, the numerous times we were there, nobody was stationed to cook the omellettes. No big deal, however, our biggest peeve was the slow service by the waiters even though they are not busy. We are not demanding Americans, but most of the time it took forever for anybody to approach us to ask if we want coffee or tea.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay in this hotel. We would not hesitate to recommend this place to our friends & family.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gctravelbug
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I met a bulgarian girl in a nightclub and she agreed to come with me in my hotel room at Grand Hotel Sofia but what was my surprise when the receptionist refused to let her in because she might be a prostitute (I wonder why this should bother me so much since the prostitution is not a crime in Bulgaria) and I couldn't convince them by any means that I can take care of myself pretty well. They ruined my night and my stay at this hotel. I guess that the guys at the reception have some kind of financial agreement with call-girls agencies not to let the competitors in Grand Hotel Sofia. I really didn't care if my girl was a streetwalker or not - I think I have the right when paying load of money to stay at a certain hotel to be able to invite my friends to visit me for couple of hours in my room.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business