“Decent for a 'stop over' hotel”
Review of Forum Hotel

Forum Hotel
Ranked #26 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am writing this from the room, which is medium size/a bit on the small side but nevertheless comfortable.

The hotel has lots of positives - a Great bathroom (shiny and clean), wonderfully friendly (and helpful) staff and an overall good vibe. It's nothing special though, just a regular hotel that I would rate as about 3 star standard. It has god fast Internet which is a serious plus, but to be expected in Bulgaria.

We have not experienced any issues with air conditioner, animal infestation, dirt etc. We have been here 5 nights and would recommend it, but don't expect anything amazing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank laura067
There are newer reviews for Forum Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel is a very reasonable hotel around 80 Euros a night. The rooms are very clean and even though I had to change my room as the aircon was only blowing warm air when the temp was humid and in the 30's the standard was good.
The hotel has 4 stars I would rate it as a 3 star Hotel.
The area the hotel is situated needs a little tidying up and for my liking just a tad too far from the centre of Sofia around 4 or 5 stops on the tram, the tram is only 100m from the hotel
The staff were very helpful and would bend over backwards to help you sort out any situation.
The area is quiet and there are a few bars on the main street.
A nice hotel to stay for a night but next time I would prefer an international chain.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank lee M
Reviewed June 18, 2012

From the outside not much to look at, looks like a shabby communist era concrete block not much different than the run down tower blocks that surround it, is located in a less than salubrious residental area. Reception was not too bad apart from the grubby mat. At first room looked ok, clean bathroom and fairly spacious but air con did not work and it was very hot so at night very hard to sleep. Bed also extremely soft. Was also an infestation of ants on the floor. Carpet was also a bit stained.

TV had a slightly odd selection of Bulgarian language only channels with not so much as a western news channel.

When I tried to complain to reception about the air con they looked at me as if I had p**ssed in their cornflakes.

Breakfast basic but ok. Location a bit out from the centre.

Not quite a roach motel but has some ants instead.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a few days in this hotel. We found the staff friendly and helpful and the food was very good...I particularly liked the Forum Salad and the breakfasts. Although the hotel is not in the centre, we found that we could get around very easily.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I was swithering whether to give this experience a 2 or a 3 out of 5 but I decided on 2 for the following reasons.

The hotel, is not, as the name suggests, particularly central. It's a good half hour walk / 10-15 minute tram ride to the main attractions of the city. The tram stop is right outside the hotel, which is useful. There is also a large supermarket nearby - also good. However the area is largely residential.

The welcome we received was wholly underwhelming. The receptionist substituting the usual basic courtesies ("hello", "welcome") for monosyllabic instructions ("passport", "which room"). It also took rather a long time to check in, or perhaps it just seemed that way, thanks to the crushing silence in the foyer as we waited for our room key.

However the hotel is clean and bright, the rooms are air conditioned, the bathrooms are well equipped, the showers are fine. There are no double beds, only singles pushed together, the beds (and rooms) are on the small side but basically comfortable. Breakfast is what you would expect - a selection of meats and cheeses, cereals and yogurts. Adequate rather than amazing.The coffee was good, best enjoyed on the terrace, a welcome respite from the dry heat of the day. Hotel guests can also use the fitness suite and sauna on a complimentary basis.

All in all, the hotel has a lot of potential but this is swiftly destroyed by the attitudes of the front of house staff who are surly, rude and unforgivingly indifferent to the mere presence of their guests. I welcome the fact the customer service in Eastern Europe is so different from the over-familiarity of America or the formal servitude of Britain. However Hotel Central Forum boasts an apathy towards the term 'customer service' I have never experienced, and never hope to again, in all my travels.

I will briefly go into detail here so feel free to skip ahead. We asked if it were possible for the hotel to help us with our pre-arranged airport transfer which was met with, "impossible" and we were told we would have to dial the number from our own rooms. We got the impression, thanks to the woman's hand-on-hip, gazing at own fingernails, stance, that we were a mere inconvenience to her morning. We asked about the best route into the city and the answer consisted of a raised arm and an index finger. We asked if they had any recommendations for restaurants and were informed that the hotel's restaurant was open until 10pm, that was all. The overall impression was just so unwelcoming and uncomfortable and beware future guests; the prices for the mini bar are in Euros - not Levas. I will say that the young bell-boy was their only saving grace. He was polite, efficient and - unlike the others - actually capable of a smile.

My suggestion would be to avoid this hotel, I think its main business stems from conferences and weddings rather than tourist city breaks. A better experience can be found elsewhere for the same cost or less. The people of Sofia were welcoming and kind, on the streets and in the restaurants but Hotel Central Forum is appalling in its attitude to guests, we witnessed similar scenarios with other groups at the reception desk. It just shows you what a difference a warm welcome and helpful staff can make. This hotel would scrape 3 stars if its customer service improves tenfold, after all, it's nice to be nice.

Room Tip: On one side of the building the rooms have balconies - but the staff like to keep this a secret.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BurntOutBarista
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Nice spacious rooms. Good restaurant. Breakfast ok, but not 4-star level. Staff very helpul. Some small remarks: sometimes it was difficult to set hot/cold water. The toilets on the ground floor were not so clean and had no soap. The room was a bit noisy at night (probably because of my neighbours). In general, consider it a good 3 stars, not a 4 star. However the price was very good.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This was one of two hotels I stayed in when I went to Sofia last year. The first I stayed in for a few nights and was lovely (Les Fleurs) and then I travelled to another part of Bulgaria and was meant to stay at Central Forum for one night. It ended up being two nights due to a change in travel plans.
The service was absolutely fine, no complaints there, and the room was clean enough. I didn't really like the location, it seemed in a bit of a quiet place and a bit too removed from the centre of the city. I just didnt feel particularly comfortable. I also found the room quite claustrophobic. It wasnt tiny, but it was just the layout. There is a narrow corridor as you walk in, and then the bed in the middle of the room which pretty much took up all the space. It may be that I am comparing it to Les Fleurs (which I thought was gorgeous), but after the two nights here I was really looking forward to leaving! Breakfast was ok - not that great but it was edible.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple