“Champion pizza” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Champion pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic pizza - chef Rado was away competing in Pizza World Championships but all our pizzas were sublime. Slightly slow service but wine list and very friendly staff more than made up for that. Will definitely return.

Sofia
“Amazing. Truly.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Being very lucky to have this restaurant just around the corner, I paid a visit.
Many different owners in the past, usually average to bad.
So I came with fear in my heart, to say the least.
Fear to lose time & energy & money for a lame place.

What an amazing good surprise !!!
Rado is a star, a gem and a very sweet and delicious person.
His team is exactly like he is.
The food is amazing.
One of the best Sofia can offer you.
From pizzas (amazing) to pastas (awesome) to specialties (octopus, scallops - one of the best ever eaten, etc.)
The place is calm, and well organized.
Globally, it's a true gem in Sofia.

What a fresh restart for a place which looked doomed by a bad karma, for so long...

The service is excellent.
Bad luck for the previous reviewers, sorry for them. I came with friends (foreigners & BG), family (with a 3 years old who was always treated as a little prince), my love only. Many times.
Each time I had perfection.
We had the better wine ever there (and I'm French !!!)

Highly recommended. Highly.

Can't wait to go back there.

As I always say to my little boy : always start first to be awesome and you'll see that the world and the people will always be awesome with you in return. ;-)

• Visited April 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Good food, bad attitude by owner and staff!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

It is very strange or not at all that what I intend to describe as an impression of this place was already written by another reviewer.
I have known this place for many years being a citizen of Sofia. I heard lately that a chef, who is a superb master of pizza, 3rd in the world rank list of pizza masters, became an owner of the restaurant. It was promoted heavily by common friends of the chef and me. They presented his pizzas as the best in the city and the service extraordinary, with great caring and attention to the customers.
It is not surprising that after this extensive advertising me and my family paid a call to the osteria the very next day. It was Sunday, the weather was very pleasant, warm, not typical for February in Soifa, so it was a lazy warm Sunday afternoon.
The place was totally empty and we had great pizza, great pasta, great homemade ice cream, garnished with service dedicated only to us in a quiet atmosphere. The smell of fresh baked dough was mesmerizing. The owner was not there but I already felt great respect about how he has deployed the place.
My gourmet senses were calling definitely for another visit. So it was not extraordinary that the next evening, me and my husband went there again for a dinner. I just wanted more of this pizza and its flavor.
We were accommodated on a table in the semi empty restaurant and provided the menu.
For the next 15-20 min nobody took any care of us, neither anybody noticed that we were ready and already impatient to order. Nobody offered at least a drink, even ordinary water. To add more to our deteriorating gourmet mood, we noticed the owner to stick to other tables and put special attention to them, never noticing that we sit , looking around to grab somebody's attention.
Finally, after the waiter diligently serviced the tables which were granted the attention of this boss, came to us and collected our order. The pizzas were serviced timely.
Unfortunately this time the pizza was not so delicious as the day before but I could live with that. Meanwhile I noticed that the owner continued to pay much attention to other tables chatting friendly with people, promoting the virtues of his dishes.
He personally was meeting new visitors to the restaurant, accommodating them to their tables, personally providing bread sticks to the customers while they were waiting for their dishes to arrive. I found the sticks looking good and was astonished that nobody offered such sticks to us. I claimed before the waiter why we were not serviced such sticks. To my astonishment he answered that the owner decides to which customers to provide bread sticks and he offers them for free only to special customers.
From that moment on, I decided never to visit this restaurant where the owner decides who is "special" and who is not in his place.
This was outrageous and disgusting! Our money is just as good as the one of the other people in the room. And even if I have never tasted a pizza and say that it is rubbish, he has no right to treat me second hand in his restaurant.
I grouched about that and maybe somebody from the personnel heard me. The owner approached our table and instead of apologizing from all his heart, or asking if everything was alright, or asking if we like the food,he just said: "Well, now since you did not had bread sticks, maybe I can offer you some limoncelo." This sounded to me as: "Well, since you were so impudent to demand my special bread sticks and feel so grumpy, I shall give you alcohol, never mind that you might be driving you car to go home after dinner."
If I was the owner of the place, making good pizza, willing to stick around the tables, I would never miss a table and see for it that people like what I have done for them. I would watch attentively if they eat with pleasure and spend good time or feel unsatisfied with something and personally take care of it.
So much for the good food, spoiled by bad service of the personnel, under the owner's leadership!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bangkok, Thailand
“The food was good, the service not.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

It's a shame that such good food comes together with a bad staff attitude. The first waiter was ok, took a lot of effort with the wine but from there it was a ride downhill. The food was very good, the scallops salad was a pleasant surprise, the seafood pasta was lovely and a pizza was good but not as outstanding as they promote it. So on the food side we were happy but... how can you enjoy your evening if the service is not on par? The starters (a) bruschetta w. tomato pesto and b) scallops salad came after a) 15 minutes b) 25 minutes. The main dishes were perfectly timed as the pizza arrived exactly when my wife had eaten her pasta (she wanted to wait but after 5 minutes we decided that "eat it while still warm" beats "being polite") What really set me off was the owner/pizza chef hanging around on the neighbors table talking for ages to some chicks. It's his business but my money. Cheesecake was good but not really worth another 10 minutes wait for one piece. There are other options in Sofia with equal or even better tasty food but far better attention to guests. It's just sad as da Rado is just around the corner and could be a perfect spot for occasional dining. But with that service I better cook myself.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shunima
Bend, Oregon
“Superb Italian food in Sofia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a very pretty restaurant south of the main business area in a residential neighborhood near the US Embassy. Excellent food, wine and service. Just take the Metro line 2 to the south end of the line and walk a couple of blocks.

Visited October 2013