“Just perfect.”
Review of Sense Hotel Sofia

Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
“Just perfect.”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

A charming, on trend hotel in the centre of Sofia's diplomatic and cultural area.

The hotel staff are what make the stay so lovely, always attentive but never overbearing. The rooms are trendy (4 star not 5) but great. Restaurant is fab, non farm sea bass, great steaks and Bulgarian wine is worthy of a resurgence.

Our benchmark is Dubai so used to great Hotels (Royal Mirage One and Only etc) . However an delight in a charming new favorite city.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Wayne P
Elitza V, General Manager at Sense Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to share your experience with Sense Hotel Sofia on TripAdvisor.

Your thoughts are important to us. We're especially pleased when the feedback is positive. I'll be sure to share it with the entire hotel team.

We try very hard to provide the best possible service to our guests and their satisfaction is our reward.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we're doing something right and you now have one more favorite destination. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Elitza Velichkova

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Although, my title is a positive one, I want to start with few advices for improvement.
I have stayed in Sense hotel 3 or 4 times so far and I can easily say it is the hotel I like the most in Sofia.
Nevertheless, our previous visit there was a complete disappointment - we have sent few e-mails requesting reply regarding our visit, time of arrival, late check-in, etc. (all of that - before our actual arrival), no reply. When we first came, we have mentioned our sent e-mails and the reception have excused themselves. So, they promised to talk with a supervisor and reply to us shortly. No reply. Next day, passing trough reception again reminder - again excuse (different people on duty), again promise to call and answer. No reply. Me and my boyfriend have stayed for 3 days, so 2 were gone already... Not to mention that they made us take the car outside the parking we were using (and paying for) before our check out, as there were some renovation procedure going on...
Also, very disappointed that they charge for printing a paper, as we haven't had such experience in 5* hotel so far.
My last visit at Sense was 2 days ago - this time, I cannot complaint .. I read few comments about cards and doors - actually, this time, the card they gave us was unlocking any door you like ( I accidently entered someone else's suit, and they - tried everything around :) )
Anyway, I have tried many Sofia hotels and this one, despite of everything I have said, is really really nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Slavyana H,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for being a regular guest of Sense Hotel Sofia.
Thank you for your valuable comments and advices. They have been well noted by all management and staff concerned in order to avoid similar situations in the future.

It is a great delight and reward that you enjoy our hotel most among others when visiting Sofia. Our utmost priority is our guests’ comfort and satisfaction.

I greatly apologize for the delayed e-mail reply by our Reception team. I would like to assure you that all preventive measures have been taken and put in place by the Front Office Manager to ensure that all our valued guests, like you, receive a reply in due course and not later than 24 hours from sending a request. The person who was responsible for your reply is no longer with us. I’ve been informed by our Front Office Manager that he has contacted your partner as soon as he was informed and the situation was resolved to his satisfaction.
I regret that your car had to be moved from the underground parking, along with all other cars parked at that time, as per the scheduled maintenance about which all guests were informed in advance. Once again I apologize for the inconvenience caused and would like to assure you of our best intentions and always putting guests’ safety and security at first. Therefore, scheduled maintenance works needs to be performed timely.
Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Thank you for choosing Sense Hotel Sofia. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Sincerely yours,

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. After staying at numerous gaudy (and weird) hotels all over Eastern Europe, the Sense Hotel was a welcome break. The hotel boasts elegant, simple, and modern design. It's is clear that a lot of thought was placed into creating a comfortable, yet simple and cozy environment. The hotel staff are super helpful, and it is obvious that they are well-trained and motivated to make guests feel welcomed.

As other reviews mention, this hotel is popular for its rooftop bar and restaurant/lounge. In addition to guests, there are a fair amount of visitors to the hotel. The elevators allow access to rooms only for hotel guests, therefore aren't random people wondering the halls.

If you are looking for quiet, request a room without a view. I stayed in a room that faced a back courtyard and I didn't not hear much noise. I was also on the third floor and to avoid waiting for the elevators, I took the stairs. My room was stocked with a mini bar, snacks, coffee, and tea (not free). It also included a power plug adapter, hairdryer, radio, and products from Molton Brown. There was also a turn down service with a cute chocolate.

One thing that really stood out to me was the bed. Not only was it firm, but the hotel provides high quality, soft linens, fluffy pillows, and a warm comforter. It's lovely to wake up without back aches or crick in the neck because of worn out mattress and flat pillows.

Overall, if you are looking for a traditional hotel, this is not a place for you. If you are looking for something that is different and modern, this is an excellent choice. And if you have any requests, simply communicate with the hotel before your arrival.

2 Thank pirksts
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our team’s efforts and takes the time to share it. Your comments will be shared with our entire team, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Sense Hotel Sofia a leader in excellence.
I’m particularly glad that you have appreciated and enjoyed the comfort of our beds, mattresses and linen as we have selected them among some of the world’s leaders in the field, aiming at providing utmost sleep comfort to all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Sense Hotel Sofia.

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a tough one. From a usability perspective, the Sense Hotel is an unmitigated disaster. I'm amazed that they got Health and Safety approval (though of course I have no idea what the standards are in Bulgaria). let's just say that this is a massive FAIL from EU standards. Here's my experience:

1. Check-in (at 23:30) took over 35 minutes. No excuses are possible.

2. The first room I was given had a door that wouldn't lock. Since I couldn't figure out how to use the phone, I had to take my bag back downstairs and wait for another room. This added a further delay. It was close to 01:00 when I got a room.

3. The elevator has a flat digital panel with no labels on the buttons. The door closed on me (quite hard) at one point. Dreadful from a safety, accessibility, and usability standpoint.

4. The lack of a deadbolt on the door (it is all digital) is a real worry. As a woman traveling alone, I do not like the feel of an all-digital lock. You get a few seconds of a flashing red light to tell you that you have locked the door, but as it doesn't STAY lit, there is no way to know whether it is locked or not.

5. Windows are not labeled as being reflective or not. This means that you have no idea whether everyone walking by can see in or not.

6. Closing the window panels (not shutters, but floor-to-ceiling panels) is difficult. Would not be easy for an elderly person.

7. The info about how to use the phone (and believe me, you need it) is hidden UNDER the phone. Who the heck looks under the plastic tray? Very frustrating.

8. The ultra-sleek sink fixtures splashed every time. EVERY. TIME. You need a surgeon's delicate touch to be able to turn the faucet on *just* right to prevent flooding all your stuff on the counter.

9. Two bath mats but only one bath towel? No bathrobe until day 2, when one mysteriously arrived? Seriously? I actually ended up using the second bath mat as a towel on day 2.

10. Toilet flush mechanism requires a great deal of pressure. If you have nails, you will break a nail. I used a knuckle and ended up with a big bruise by the end of the trip.

11. Extra TP was stored a meter away from the toilet. Really? Well, by the time I noticed this, it was (shall we say) awkward. :-(

12. Shower fixtures have no labels at all. I scalded myself the first day before I figured it out.

13. All hotel doors are confusing. Some push, some pull, and none are labeled. Some are actually invisible (flush to wall with an almost invisible seam).

14. Fire exit points down the hallway. Hallway dead-ends at the elevator and a door marked Toilets. What?! Turns out that if you go INTO the toilets, there is actually another hallway and the stairs. Fail, fail, fail.

15. The first floor room I was in was right over the open area of the lobby. This means that all night long, I heard people going in and out. It sounded like people were talking and laughing right in my room. More to the point, the bar on the top floor is a very popular spot, so you get people wandering through the hotel all night long to get to the bar. NOT a quiet retreat at all.

16. The spa is lovely, but the stainless steel pool is gorgeous, but there are no visual cues at all. You can't tell the sides from the bottom, so if you plan on swimming laps, you'll probably crack your head against the end walls.

17. The "whirlpools" are just soaking tubs. If they said soaking tubs, I wouldn't be disappointed. But I got in expecting whirlpool action. None. "They are not jacuzzi," said the hotel spa person. Well, they sure as heck aren't whirlpools. (Jacuzzi is just a brand name type of whirlpool, after all.)

On the plus side, the staff is friendly and the included breakfast was very nice.

Bottom line: if you are a business traveller, you will find this hotel's attempt a sleek cool design to be simply frustrating. If you are looking for an "experience" hotel and don't care if it takes you 20 minutes to figure out the most basic thing in your room, this could be OK. But for me, a HUGE part of luxury is QUIET. No hotel that promotes a spa experience can have a bar on top with loud, thumping music that makes half the hotel uninhabitable on weekend nights.

Save your money and stay somewhere less pretentious.

6 Thank CowTC
Dear Mrs. Karmiel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with us.

I’m glad that you have enjoyed the hospitality of our team and our breakfast.

I regret that many of our hotel’s fixtures and fitting have not lived up to your expectations, though I would like to assure you that everything we had in mind at time of designing the hotel was utmost guests comfort, well-being, functionality and luxury feeling, incorporating state-of-the art technologies that are user- and environmentally- friendly.

Your constructive criticism is very much appreciated and has been taken very seriously by me and the management team to the greatest extent possible, where changes could be made, especially to further ensure the safety and security of travelling alone ladies. Although we do have extensive security and safety measures in place, such as limited access to guest floors through elevator and staircase, CCTV, etc., you have noted points that enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.
I greatly apologize for the prolonged check-in and room move.
I would like to share with you that at the end of this month we’ll install extra toilet paper holders, where needed, to ensure guests’ convenience. We have addressed the lighting concern about the privacy flashing of the digital lock to the manufacturer, however it cannot be amended technically. The small pools’ signage in the Spa is being amended from whirlpools to tubs in order to prevent other guests confusion and misleading due to inadequate translation. The first room that you have stayed in is being installed additional door with high- proof insulation to ensure guests comfort and sound proof from the lobby area. We are now working on a possibility to further slowdown the shutting of our elevator doors, thought the manufacturer has assured us that this is the slowest they can close. All matters listed in your valuable feedback concerning our housekeeping and maintenance departments have been addressed and acted upon.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We do hope that you would give us a second chance and the opportunity to welcome you to Sense Hotel Sofia.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I am at the hotel as I write this. Checked in tonight after a long flight. Usually I stay at the Grand Hotel when in Sofia but it was booked so I decided to try something new.
Checkin was smooth, the lobby is not as big as the Grand, but nice.
Walked into the room and was happy about the design - nice and modern.
The first trouble happened when I decided to take a shower - I dont know who designed the bathroom but I suggest the hotel owners get their money back - the water comes out and goes all over the floor. At this point the whole bathroom has about 1/4 inch of water. Luckily I hadn't thrown my clothes on the floor otherwise I would've been even more upset.
Attaching photos.
I will talk to the hotel management tomorrow and see what happens. Will continue to update

2 Thank seattle_family_1
Elitza V, General Manager at Sense Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your present in-house experience with us! The feedback that we receive from all our valued guests, like you, helps us to target issues that need immediate action.

We hope that you are enjoying your first stay with us. I’m, however, very sorry to hear about the bathroom flooding issue that you have experienced during your first night. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Upon receipt of your feedback on TripAdvisor on June 11th the matter has been addressed promptly to our engineering and housekeeping departments and we believe it was rectified by 11 a.m. the same day. Unfortunately, to my knowledge we don’t have a registered complaint with the service staff directly in the hotel. If we’re made aware of the issue at time of happening, we would have made sure that it’s fixed on the spot because our guests’ satisfaction and attentive service are Sense Hotel’s utmost priority.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Myself or the Manager on Duty will contact you later on today personally to receive your detailed feedback.

If you have any further concerns or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me through the Front Desk or at +359 (0) 884513830 or elitza.velichkova@sensehotel.com

Wishing you a pleasant stay with us!

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed May 23, 2014

It isn’t 5* hotel at all! I never met so awful hotel for leaving (I am traveling a lot for holidays and business staying in 5*, 4* in case absence 5* hotels). I didn’t used to write my comments after staying, but Sense is worth to do this.
"+"
1) Hotel pretends to be very fashionable and expensive. It is brand new, young, fresh, trendy, swimming pool is amazing for relax, but not for active swimming.
2) The design is the only thing of 5* level, quite expensive.
3) Rooftop bar - very good bar for clubbing! With great views
4) Good food in restaurant and rooftop bar

"--"
1. Rooms (I had Suit on 7th floor, 210 euro per night) - around 45 sq.m with not big terrace
1) absolutely stupid thing - the bath tub directly in the middle of room, just in the back of your bed, and there is no places around to put your shampoo and other stuff for taking a bath... + after taking the bath all water is around the bath tub in the room
2) bathroom ( toilet + shower + shell) - the worst is shower : 1 sm space between glass walls, so water is also everywhere on the floor , shower-pot isn’t easy to use if you are girl with much plenty hair on your head , as you have to hold it in one hand and wash yourself by other hand, another option fixed on the cell isn’t convenient to wash your head (too wide, no direct stream of water)
3) Suit on the 8 floor is special story (my colleague was there) - huge, bigger than mine, bathtub was inside of bathroom :) with huge terraces, and with amazing view!
3.1. directly under the rooftop bar , in fact it is the kind of the night club with very loud music for dancing! And in the room and your own terrace you can hear music like you are in this bar! This bar is very popular for parties and clubbing during whole week! and it continues till the last client. Awful!!!
3.2. this suit absolutely can’t be used by women - there is no mirror almost at all ( only 1 mirror with specific light in very small wardrobe)
3.3. in bathroom
- huge and no mirror!! you have shells and just window in front of you!
- there is the only place you can use hair dry (as no electricity facilities for hair-drier in room) and no mirror!
- nice shells but zero places around even to put glass, tooth paste, soap, cleaning emulsion for face. Stupid design decision!

2. Lift/Elevator - you can get only on your floor, you are not allowed to get to another floors. It is very not convenient when you are team placed on several different floors. If you want to come to your friend’s room, you should meet with her on 1st floor and then go together to her room

3. Breakfast - is very poor - like for poor 4* (limited choice of everything)
- 3 types of fruits - green melon, not tasty watermelon (in that season it is very tasty everywhere around), orange, strawberry or pear)
- 3-4 types of cheese and ham
- boiled egg - 1 option of boiling :) - well done
- 1 type of jam + honey + nootella
- scrambled egg + fried mushroom , tomato , sausages and ham
- packed juice
- coffee - awful - the only option is similar like on the plane during the flight. Cappuccino to be paid additionally 3 euro
- sweet - just 3 types of small sweets : small empty croissants, and 2 other similar - not tasty at all
That is all! you will stay in great shape for sure! :)

4. Service also terrible
- In breakfast - scrambled eggs were purely cold in its main place, on my question to bring at least warm one, waiter wasn’t happy about it and tried to explain me that dish is hot! And agreed to bring other one when I asked him to try it himself! The same was with hot water for tea, so I had to wait when they bring hot water to have a tea
- In general they are very slow in restaurants - we had team of 9 persons for teambuilding . All launches (prepaid and ordered everything in advance) took 1,5 hour! We had to wait everything, water, soup, salads and so on. And even if on 2nd day we asked them to be quick as we have just 40 mins , so we need to have everything on the tables exactly at 2:30 pm. We got it at 3:00 pm! Ice for wine arrived in 15 mins after it was asked! When we asked why so long we were answered "we are very busy!" with non happy face.. The funniest thing that we were alone in this restorante :)
- Coffe-breaks - very pure - the same coffee as was on the breakfast, tea, and 1 small plate with small cookies of 2 types , one small pieces of each type for 1 person, not more :)))
- Cleaning room, you can find it clean only after 4-5:00 pm
5. After reception there are the steps to get to lift. Being girl with baggage it isn’t convenient . You have to find and ask someone to help. And it is great if some service boy is there, if not you should ask reception
6. No places for taxi stop in front of hotel, it is on the street where taxi are not allowed to stop, so you have to go and find your taxi on the square near hotel ~100 meters , where is many taxis staying...

Summarizing: I would never stay there and wouldn’t recommend it to somebody. My colleagues’ impression is the same. We had corporate event, and decided don’t use this hotel anymore.

Room Tip: Don't take suits - they all are differnet some biger, some smaller, and located directly under r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank titunina
Elitza V, General Manager at Sense Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Mrs. Titunina,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to advice of your recent stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read about your experience with us. Whilst an apology wouldn't change the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend it with all sincerity.
We have taken note on all room and bathroom functionality matters detailed by you in your review for the suites you and your friend stayed in. As all our suites are different we are now in a process of moderating and re-designing the comfort in these suites and bathrooms to ensure guest satisfaction and practicality at all times and for all our guests.
We now offer to all our valued guests breakfast that has something different each day to ensure that longer-staying and regular guests are provided with variety. We are additionally working on a “wish-to-order” breakfast items option that are not found on the buffet.
We are in a process of re-doing our coffee-break offers and presentations with the help of our new, recently appointed and very experienced Executive Chef.
I most certainly empathise on the noice coming down from our Rooftop Bar and the service you've received at breakfast and with luggage assistance. This service level is certainly not acceptalbe by any means and has been addressed accordingly to all hotel managers concerned. Our highest priority is to show utmost care at every encounter with all our guests.
The fact that elevators take you only to the floor of your room and the hotel’s public areas has been implemented having in mind only guest security and well being, predominantly looking after 'traveling alone lady' security.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments.
I do hope that you would give us a second chance and we will have another opportunity to serve you the next time you visit Sofia.

Warmest Regards,

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Location and setting is nice, no question about that.However if you want to be treated clearly as " you are here because we allowed you" than go without second thought.Asked for a room with Double Bed-declined! without even option to check for the next day. we are fully booked was the answer.Really... or you too lazy and disinterested to take a guest request into account? As a professional working for SLH and Relais & Châteaux maybe I am used to different kind of service.Other unacceptable situation which makes me thing m I in Moldova...? no is my home country! Despite the declined late check out ( i know is always upon availability ) they were full again ... good for them i checked out at 12:10 PM and returned to the hotel at 12:30 with the question if i can seat at the lobby and use the internet for no more than 10 min.for free or for charge both are ok.... declined I should be guest of the hotel yes but I was 20 min ago....and could be a future one, not anymore offcourse.A friend of mine used to say if you are lost in a city go find the first hotel and ask for direction , at this one probably they wont allow you to enter. Luxury must be convenient, otherways is no luxury.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank cream-de-la-creams
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience with Sense Hotel Sofia.
It’s only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve the service we provide to our treasured guests.

I greatly regret that you are disappointed with your stay with us.
It is our highest goal to provide consistent superior service to all of our valued guests and ensure that we meet and exceed their needs and wants to the greatest possible extend. We strive to make all of our guests feel at home away from home through comfort and service.
Your comments about the way service was offered and acted upon your requests, such as the wish to use our wi-fi, were seriously addressed to all hotel managers and service team at Sense Hotel, aiming that we never again have disappointed guests from the way we communicate with guests and handle their requests.
Regrettably we couldn’t accommodate your request for a double bed and late check-out at time of check-in due to availability restrictions and pre-confirmed engagements with other valued guests, like you. I apologize for the way this information has been brought to your attention and how you felt. Our team members are now being re-trained on how to courteously handle all guest requests to ensure professional, timely and helpful reply and most of all to guarantee consistently exceptional guest service.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I do hope to welcome you again at the Sense Hotel Sofia.

Kindest Regards,