“Not bad at all.”

Ranked #261 of 1,140 Restaurants in Sofia
Cuisines: Irish, International, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 1856, James Murphy in partnership with four of his brothers founded the J.J.Murphy & Co. Brewery in Cork, Ireland.Since then his name has been associated with only the highest quality for his world famous Murphy’s Irish Stout, Red Beer and J.J. Murphy & Co. Irish Bars. In 1998 J.J.Murphys Irish Pub was founded in Sofia, Bulgaria.J.J. Murphy’s is the first authentic Irish Pub in Bulgaria. If you like the Irish atmosphere and food, there is no need for you to travel all the way to Ireland. Here you can try the traditional Irish Stew, Shepherds Pie and Beef Steak. Also on draught at J.J. Murphy’s are Kilkenny, Guinness, Carslebrg, Heineken, Stella Artois and Krombacher. During the summer you can enjoy an ice cold pint in the beer garden, with some great BBQ food.On the big screen televisions we show all main sport events from football to rugby, american football and many other sports. Every Friday and Saturday night you can enjoy live music ( Jazz, Pop, Rock, Irish and Bulgarian Music).Through the years J.J. Murphy’s proved to be the best Irish Pub in the country. The excellent reputation is brought by the nice warm atmosphere, the quality of food and brilliant service.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We came here on a quick trip to Sofia and were a little let down, no Murphys as advertised, but it has a very good British pub feel. The TV was showing the Chelsea game, our main reason for attending, there were families eating food that looked good and appetising and I had the best pint of London Pride I've had outside London. A nice atmosphere, but with so many great bulgarian bars to be had I don't think I'd come back.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is the most popular and best Irish Pub in Sofia, you can eat inside or outside with great service. With flat screen TVs and a projector screen, I would also recommend any of the food and of course the draft beer during the big games. Great place to meet the local Bulgarian girls if you have a chance.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I, along with friends have visited J.J.Murphy's several times. As soon as you enter from the narrow street, just off the fashionable Boulevard Vitosha, you are enveloped in a real pub atmosphere. The large, wooden, shaped bar is manned, (and womanned) by friendly staff. The waiters are attentive and obliging and the clientele is international. I must say the toilets were spotlessly clean, although being a gent, I did not enter the ladies.
There is sport shown on several large screens. I was watching Man.Utd play Wigan, then I walked over to the other screen to see the Australia v Sri Lanka Cricket Match. The man behind the bar offered to switch the cricket to the screen close to where I was sitting which I though was a considerate thought.
We ate there in the outside area in September 2012. Our meal for three which jncluded pies, chips,chicken steaks, salads, bread and several drinks which included Guinness and Strongbow, came to about 30 Leva, about £12.50; very cheap by UK standards. However although the beer is cheap compared to the UK, it is pricier than many Bulgarian bars. One minor thing though, on each visit since, they have not had any Murphy's Stout, apparently not for nine months.
I would always recommend all you ex -pats and passers through Sofia pay J.J. Murphy's a visit.

Stefan P, Manager at J.J. Murphy's, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Sorry to all our customers, but there has been no import of Murphy's Red, and Murphy's Stout to Bulgaria for more than one year from the suppliers.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Amazing chicken curry with basmati rice! We were a party of four and we ordered four of this plate! Also don't miss the garlic bread and the fries with ketchup and mayonaise. We kept them coming!!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

A welcoming pub , with friendly staff. One of the few pubs/bars with clean toilets for customers.
Spacious with plenty of seating ; Music and TV screen to watch sport.
Cheap beer 3 lev a bottle( 2.4.lev to pound)
Not a good choice of local beers - OK if you drink Guinness or Murphys' Stout