“Over £75 (British Pounds) for a simple grilled sea bass !”
Review of Gloria Mar

Gloria Mar
Ranked #500 of 1,055 Restaurants in Sofia
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over £75 (British Pounds) for a simple grilled sea bass !”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I agree with Speedy G's comments - food is OK but the staff has no integrity. My colleague and I were in Sofia for a business trip and the hotel where we stayed recommended us to eat at Gloria Mar, which was walking distance from the hotel. As we arrived at the restaurant we were greated by the host who asked if we were coming from the "x" hotel (clearly the hotel called them to say they were sending 2 guests for dinner). We were seated at the table and after looking at the menu I decided to order a grilled sea bass with a Shopska salad. The food was good, fresh and nicely done however the big surprise came when the bill was presented to us. My grilled sea bass (the fish only) cost 170 Leva (over £75). When I called the waiter to say that there must be a mistake on my bill, he looked a bit uncomfortable and confused and tried to explain that the fish was heavy in weight and that's why it came to this amount. I looked on the menu and it clearly said: Grilled Sea Bass 300-400gr for 19.9 Leva (under £9) which means that the fish they served me had to be an almost 4kg sea bass to make it to 170 Leva. When I questioned him again about the weight of the fish he blushed and came up with a different excuse - this time he said that they served me a "wild sea bass" - which I never ordered!! Subsequently looking at the menu again I noticed that even the wild sea bass was more or less the same price as the plain sea bass therefore the large amount we were charged for a simple grilled sea bass was completely unjustified ! I will NEVER set my foot again in this restaurant ! Shame on you Gloria Mar for having no integrity whatsoever !!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Laura P

London, United Kingdom
“Gloria Mar, Sofia”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great Restaurant. The service was professional and kind. The food is delicious and the fish is fresh in my opinion. The wine list is massive and they keep the wine bottles in professional cellar. The prices for this kind of restaurant are probably on the high note..but the atmosphere and the staff maybe deserved it. Its a OK restaurant for a romantic dinner or business lunch,but if you prefer more classy service and better food..try different restaurants(Panorama Kempinski, Krim..Pri Orlite, etc).
Anyway probably I will visit again,because of the fish and the huge wine list.

• Visited March 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Excellent food, but no integrity”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have a mixed feelings because the food is good but the staff does not have integrity.
Fresh seafood with excellent quality is not typical for Sofia. Prices are above averge, but justified by the good food and service.
However, i am very disapointed by the dishonesty of the personnel. I paid by mistake 200 Euro insted of 200 leva (the ratio is 1:2 and the 50 leva and 50 euro notes are quite similar). When I called 30 min later the waiter and the casher denied having received more.
It's a pity when people lie in your face, no matter how good the restaurant is. I am sure in my claim and will not go there again. The choise is yours.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Speedy G
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
“New Years Eve in Gloria Mar”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am so very satisfied with everything... The selection of food for the NYE menu, the perfect service, the welcoming stuff, all was wonderful. Me and my husband enjoyed our visit to this restaurant. I highly recommend You to visit for lunch or supper.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank susanlBitola
Sofia, Bulgaria
“One of the best Restaurants in Sofia”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The seafood is fresh, the service is very kind and something rare for Bulgaria - almoust professional. The restaurant has a nicely designed terrace. I've tryed the "tarama cavier", greek style squash and the kalf with wild mushrooms. I highly rate the chef and the service!

• Visited October 2012