“Hilton Sofia was a great choice!”
Review of Hilton Sofia

Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Chicago, Illinois
“Hilton Sofia was a great choice!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Hilton Sofia was a great choice for our leisure visit to Sofia. The hotel is located relatively close to the center of Sofia and it is very close to a metro station. As a HHilton member, I had access to the lounge for breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvre and drinks. One major plus is that they provide use of bicycles for up to three hours free of charge. They even provide helmets and safety vests. I took advantage of this fact and was able to get around the city quickly and effectively.

They have a nice gym with a great pool area that includes heated pool water, saunas and steam rooms. The staff was friendly and they provided information on the local area as requested.

Warning on airport scam: use the taxi post at the airport to arrange your ride to the Hilton. A taxi ride to the Hilton should cost about 15 Lev (BGN) which is roughly $10 (US). There were some aggressive taxi operators that approached us as soon as we walked out of the secure airport area. They were trying to get us to go with them and they wanted to charge us between 25-50 Euro’s for the same trip. Bulgaria is not part of the Euro currency union. Make sure you pay in Lev.

If you are traveling to Bulgaria from the U.S., inform your bank if you plan to withdraw money using your ATM. My bank blocked my ATM transactions because of security concerns. I travel all over the world and this is the first time my bank’s fraud protection feature was activated. When I called my bank (using Skype) they informed me that Bulgaria has a high bank/credit card fraud. It took me more than 24hrs to get access to money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank fpina105
sreiter, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear fpina105,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions from staying at the Hilton Sofia.

It was a real pleasure for me to see that the hotels facilities and the service provided by our team made your trip a pleasant experience. Such positive comments further motivate me and my team to maintain the high level of service we provide for our guests.

We would be really glad to be your preferred choice for your future visits in Bulgaria.

Once again, on behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for the kind comments and will be looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof, soon

Hilton Sofia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chevy Chase Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Reservations: simple and easy on line using Hotels.com
Check-in and Check-out: friendly efficient and welcoming, in easily understood English.
Room: spotless, modern, well furnished, with flat screen TV, excellent channel choice, comfortable bed, great linens, nice lighted closet, desk, huge bathroom with great shower, towels, and bath products. Having a tub and a separate shower stall was fabbie.
Wireless Internet: fast and reliable AND free with my reservation.
Exercise room: included in hotel price. Cardio and some weights and machines, plus a nice spa area.
Bonus points: as I was on the executive level a wonderful buffet breakfast, free snacks, and fantastic wine, cheese, fruit, nuts, and warm and cold appetizers were served every afternoon and early evening.
Location: close to downtown and airport, although it is about 1/2 mile to the old city center.

Room Tip: Splurge on the executive level room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tackle
Dear Tackle,

Thank you for posting this detailed review on TripAdvisor.

It was a real pleasure to read your positive comment - please rest assured that I will share it with the team as this will further motivate them to keep up the good work they are doing in making our guests feel valued and cared for.
Once again, thank you for your visit and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof.

Denham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel great location to The National Culture Palace where we were "doing" a gig. Very nice hotel and the staff very pleasant. A mention for the nice lady who checked us out and organised a taxi,
give her promotion, hotels need people like her. We enjoyed the executive room.
Nice bar area and again good bar-staff. Overall if we went back to Sofia this is where we would stay.

Room Tip: book an executive room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tthefourthcord,

Thank you for letting others know of your nice experience at the Hilton Sofia.
It was a pleasure for me to read that you remained very happy with the services of our team members, and especially the check out process – we will do our best to keep up the good work.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Travelling at least 2 times every month I enjoy the high quality of services. Large and bright rooms with modern furniture, fast WiFi and an indoor swimming pool. The most important and the biggest difference is the high standards and the professionalism on the staff, for over 10 years I enjoy my stays and feel safe and comfortable as in my home

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear grigoris63,

Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton Sofia and for sharing your nice experience on TripAdvisor.

It is great that you are our guest for more than 10 years and feel comfortable with us.

I am proud of the Hilton Sofia team and it is extremely rewarding to hear from a guest that they really make a difference.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on many more visits to come!

Pisa, Italy
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've been in Sofia for a three day meeting in the HIlton Hotel in Sofia. Everything was in the hotel... So I was in "captivity" but in a nice one. The hotel organized the shuttle from and to the airport and this has been a very positive thing, since I arrived around 11pm.

The meeting included lunches and dinners in the 4seasons restaurant. The food, the "way of feeling" were very very nice.

Rooms are quite spacious but , at least mine, lightly smelled of cigarettes smoke. And it was a non-smoking one. Given that windows cannot be opened, (I was at 7th floor) the air was not so fresh..
However, the law in Bulgaria, for non-smoking was of 1st of June 2012, maybe my room was a smoking one...

For a not so good thing a very fine one: SPA and sauna are a "not-forget-to-do-when-u-r-here" experience

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking room that really were not smoking. If you are not-smoker, plain!
1 Thank RiccardoDG
Dear RiccardoDG,

Thank you very much for letting others know of your great experience at Hilton Sofia. It was a real pleasure to read your nice comments.

Please accept my apologies for the smell of smoke in the room and rest assured that we have already taken the necessary measures to improve the Housekeeping service in this regard and evade any recurrence of such deficiencies.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great service, very good "Hilton grade" breakfast, well furnished and maintained rooms.
Just 300 meters to Vitosha bulevard - THE mall of Sofia with tons of restaurants, clubs, bars etc.etc.
Easy access from airport and to the other parts of the city through hotel-guaranteed taxis (no ripping off).
Quite expensive internet access, where wi-fi needs upgrade to faster standards.
For me, one of the preferred overnight options in Sofia.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jbrune, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Miramaks,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to find that you were satisfied with our famous Hilton Breakfast, the ambience of the room and location of the hotel.
I think that it is great that your stay with us was so nice and I and my team will be looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on many more visits to come!

Jacques Brune
Weybridge
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I spent four nights here on business and was very impressed with the level of service. I used the swimming pool on one occassion and it's true it's not so big for swimming, but still nice for relaxing after a long day of working. There is a seperate steam and sauna rooms, which were very quiet when I went and clean. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Breakfast is the highlight and I struggled to restrain myself and on the fouth morning ordered the waffles... there is so much to choose from! The service on the front desk was very good, they went beyond their duty when ordering a taxi for me at 4am that failed to show and then ordered another. I ordered room service two nights and the freshly made soups were delicious, just a little small in portion. Location was perfect for work. I also was able to walk to all the attractions on one afternoon. Only twenty minute walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jbrune, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Lilla S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience in Trip advisor.

I was happy to learn that you are remained highly satisfed from the facilities and the service in our hotel.

We, as a team, are striving to provide the best place for our guests to work, relax and enjoy. Therefore it is always nice to receive such a positive feedback, which makes us know we are on the right track.

I would like to thank you once again, and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again with us in the near future.

Jacques Brune