“3* Sheraton”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Well, this property for sure goes down the hill...

Yes, the location is perfect, the hotel (from the outside) is a real Grand Hotel.

Being a Platinum SPG member I've been upgraded to a small suite (not the big one I got the last two years). The suite is okay, even the sofa is a bit uncomfortable since it can be converted to a bed. The bad part is the bathroom, with an unhygienic shower-curtain and a terrible shower head (not enough water).

But the worst part is the "Lounge". The breakfast comprised of some cold and hard sweet- and cold breads, a bit of fruit and some jam (butter only after I complained). The day-snacks have been some slices of cake and the evening snacks chips and some canapees. Maybe the poorest Lounge selection I've ever seen at Sheraton.

Sorry, but this hotel isn't "Luxury Collection" anymore, maybe a standard Sheraton...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank HONkiev
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I was very sorry to learn about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies about our shortcomings and our failure to meet your expectations.

Rest assured, that here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan we strive every day to meet and indeed exceed every guest’s expectation as this is a big part of our culture.

Once more I would like to apologize profusely and I would really appreciate it if during your next visit to Sofia you gave us the opportunity to be at your service.

Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2010

By comparison to other Luxury Collection hotels, this Sheraton is probably not one of the flagship properties. The lobby is very underwhelming, the rooms and hallways are dark, and the service is just ok (in training still). However, for the price you pay and what you can get in Sofia, it delivers on a good nights stay its just not LC standards so adjust your expectations accordingly. The hotel is a short walk from the Mall of Sofia and also near downtown area for a multitude of restaurants and shops. The hotel is interesting in that there is a casino and sketchy piano bar. We had a nice meal at Etno which was recommended by the concierge.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Terps37

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan. Your valuable comments will contribute to our team’s on going efforts to monitor and improve our service standards and help us in our continuous search for excellence.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

i have stayed at hotels worldwide and the staff at Sheraton Sofia was so friendly and so nice. Upon arriving at the hotel, the parking lot "policemen" were very aggressive and would NOT allow our driver to enter the parking lot which is the only access to the Hotel...I guess the parking lot is owned by the Govt not the hotel. The Policeman was so aggressive and nearly abusive,HOWEVER, the hotel personnel ran across the parking lot and stepped in to help us. The hotel bald headed hotel front doorman/bell guy must be highly recommended for saving us. HE was so kind and so apologetic for the actions of the police officer.
Upon arriving in the hotel..the front desk man named Miroslav Rashev along with Dellan Doichev..could not been more friendly. They made our trip wonderful. Rashev was so kind and way beyond helpful along with Dellan who offered to come with me for money exchanged. I stay at world-wide hotels and never had so many people helpful. The rooms were beautiful and they had a classic updated look to them.

I rarely take the time to write this but these gentlemen deserve high praise. What they did not realize is that I was there to promote travel/tourism in Sophia and they won my heart. I last had this service at the Four Seasons George V in Paris. So..I will be writing a letter to the GM to commend these employees. I wish I had the name of the Bell guy who helped us with our luggage but he will remember us. I take care of these people when I see such good help. William/Calif.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Calif,

May I thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through the Trip Advisor’s website.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton in Sofia. Check-in was quick and efficient with plenty of staff to help this smooth process. Our luggage were taken to the room and what seemed like a seamless service.

When commenting on the room it felt as grand as the hotel. The decoration was perfect. The beds were extremely comfortable with crisp bedding. The bathroom was perfectly appointed with all the necessary toiletries that one would expect from a 5 star.

The only problem with the room was it was small. The beds took up most of the floor space and the high ceilings made the room feel sometimes like a cufifn.

We had breakfast. It is not as good as the Radisson Blu in Sofia but is a acceptable from a 5 star. But there were no surprises!!

All in all a good stay and a hotel that really made us feel it was grand as it looked.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

We were very pleased to read about your great experience here at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

The central location in Sofia is great -- very convenient walking distance to many main sites.

The manager on duty came in person to greet us as Starwood Gold members, which was a really nice, personal touch. We were upgraded to a very nice and large room, but my parents were in a regular room which seemed very small (with the bed talking up the bulk of the room).

The price we got online (directly through SPG.com) was very good. Breakfast is not included and is certainly not worth the roughly 20 Euro price (however, we walked all over the the area and there really weren't any alternatives for a hot breakfast since this is not an ordinary thing in Bulgaria). Room service menu outrageously overpriced by Bulgarian standards.

The bed is luxurious and incredibly comfortable -- we didn't want to leave. Our room was quiet, and we got a good night's sleep. The bathroom was a decent size and nicely appointed, but like all over the Bulgaria the shower situation makes the bathroom a wet mess (many Bulgarian bathrooms have no proper shower or shower curtain -- here there is at least a door, but it is only a 1/2 door and almost impossible to avoid getting at least some water on the floor).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through Trip Advisor.

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Dear guest, I would like to kindly inform you that we are currently in process of revising all our pricing strategy.

In references with the comments about your breakfast experience and not properly fixed shower in the bathroom, I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issues to the all concerned departments for immediate reaction and would make sure the special attention is paid.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay with us.

I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 31, 2010

Tremendous old style elegant hotel. Large clean rooms frienly staff close to evrything I stay at this hotel about 20 nights per year

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
SheratonSofia, Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Only stayed one night and did not have an evening meal there, so not really qualified to rate the full services provided.
However I felt strongly enough about the disgraceful "club" facilities provided to write a review.
Having returned to the hotel fairly late around midnight and wanting a drink in the bar with my colleagues we found the lobby bar closed. We were told that the only way we could get a drink was in the club in the basement. Not being too concerned about a bit of music we decided to pop down for a night cap. We were led in by a hotel employee who sat us down in front of what was obviously a pole dancing stage.
We then ordered our drinks and were not told until afterwards that there was an entry fee of approx. £10 Sterling per head. We refused to pay it and walked out, but not before being accosted by some more waitresses who wanted us to stay to "buy them a drink".
Quite frankly myself and my three colleagues were quite disgusted by this in a so called higher end hotel. You expect to pay maybe over the odds for drinks etc but not be ripped off in this sort of bar.
Oh the hotel - it was OK but nothing to rave about. Breakfast was the same sort of buffet as you get in many intermational chain hotels. Nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business