“Great hotel - Highly Recommend”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #16 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
New York City, New York
“Great hotel - Highly Recommend”
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I found this hotel to be excellent. The service staff were some of the most courteous I've encountered anywhere in my many travels. The business center and the gym are not open in the late evenings, but they have always happily opened it up for me, even remembering my name from when I checked in. The rooms were average-sized, the bathrooms were excellent with the beautiful tiled floor and walls, the restaurant was 1st rate, although much overpriced for Sofia's standard of living. The location is superb - a short walk from most historical sites, restaurants, and shopping. I highly recommend it. Additionally, the free city guides in the room, complete with maps and restaurant recommendations were very helpful.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank TSH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2005

Just one night at the Sheraton in Sofia convinced me never to go again. The beds have a plastic mattress cover which creaked and squeaked with every movement, and made sleep next to impossible. When I asked reception for a bed without the plastic, I was told they 'all have them'. This completely spoiled my trip.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I recently stayed here for one week for pleasure. The hotel not as great as it looks or sounds in the other review. I had a standard room on the 5th floor. I felt like I was staying in an old Holiday Inn. The room was dated and the bed was lumpy and very close to the floor. I asked to see several other rooms and they were all the same on the 5th floor. The bathrooms have been renovated and are very nice, but I wasn’t sleeping in the bathroom. My friends had a free room on the executive floor that was beautiful. The executive floor feels like a different hotel, but is substantially more expensive. The service in the hotel is fine, a bit blunt at times. The restaurants in the hotel are overpriced, there are better options outside of the hotel. The evening we arrived we ate in the hotel, the restaurant was empty and there was no music, only dead silence. There are probably better options for your money in the city. This did not feel like a 5 star hotel to me.

• Stayed February 2005
9 Thank tgh60660
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 5, 2004

I stayed here for a week last December while on business and I can only say great things about the Sheraton Balkan. First, they have a Mercedes ready for you at the airport with a no-nonsense driver who brings you straight to the door, at no charge. The hotel has retained its old world feel, with modern additions, so you feel like you're in an 18th century mansion, but standard amenities abound.
The location is in central Sofia, close to shops, embassies, metro, and restaurants. The staff is friendly, helpful and amazingly multilingual, not just passable, but fluent. One staff member easily switched between Bulgarian, French, Italian, and English. The hotel is quite safe with overt security lurking about. The rooms are tastefully decorated, quiet, and comfortable, but a bit small given the 20 foot wide hallways. The gym is minimal, but the bar is excellent. Not to make it sound like paradise, there are no irons in the rooms and you have to be careful with you bill. I was charged for a movie every night even though I didn't watch any (at 20 euro a night that adds up). No coffee maker and I had to call to remind room service to bring my order (20 minutes late). Still, this is the best place to stay while in Sofia.

12 Thank DJ
Travelers also viewed these Sofia hotels
Grand Hotel Sofia
Serdica
Hotel Anel
Hotel Anel
#5 of 133 in Sofia

Been to Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Property: Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Address: pl.Sveta Nedelya 5, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
Location: Bulgaria > Sofia Region > Sofia
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Casino and Gambling Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#3 Casino Hotel in Sofia
#7 Family Hotel in Sofia
#12 Luxury Hotel in Sofia
#20 Business Hotel in Sofia
Hotel Class:5 star — Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel 5*
Sophisticated hotel in traditionally styled, 5-story building located at city center. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sheraton Sofia