“EXCELLENT HOTEL. EXCELLENT SERVICE. EXCELLENT STAFF.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #13 of 130 Hotels in Sofia
Athens, Greece
“EXCELLENT HOTEL. EXCELLENT SERVICE. EXCELLENT STAFF.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Wonderful service and delicious food. Staff always smiling, courteous and ready to provide service with good will. Situated in the city center, next to shopping centers, monuments, churches of all religions. Always clean and shining. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FOTINISIANOU
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me to thank you, for sharing your thoughts and positive feelings about the services and hospitality that our employees have extended to you during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Comments like yours motivate us to improve even more on our performance. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members.

One more time thanks for your high appreciation and rest assured that we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel is right in the hearth of the city - you can find main tourist attractions and many nice restaurants within walking distance. I was there for a business stay and spent most of my days working so I did not really have the time to discover all the facilities and services, but the things that I find important during such a stay (sleep quality, breakfast, meeting rooms) were up to my expectations. Well, breakfast was even more than that: it was a really nice selection served in a restaurant just next to the reception.

Upon our arrival (late night) there was a lady standing in front of the elevators inviting us to some club/bar/... (?) situated in the basement of the hotel - I was not particularly fond of this experience, I found it to be a bit 'pushy'.

1 Thank FrequentTr
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such a positive comments regarding your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan a Luxury Collection Hotel!

I was very pleased to read that our services and the breakfast have exceeded your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. Comments like yours motivate us to improve even more on our performance.

In regards to your comment about the Night Club lady, please be assured that it has already been taken into consideration.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Huge and monumental, typical building from the Soviet era. Service, cleaning, everything was ok. Walking distance to every tourist places. Nice breakfast with normal variety of items and food. Nice church ruins in the backyard, as well as a cosy lunch and dinner restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank KarinOslo_Norway
Dear Valued Guest,

Allow me to thank you, for sharing your positive thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate and improve our services and I thank you once more.

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

An elegant hotel ( influenced by Soviet/ Russian style ) that could use an update, but the junior suite which included a good breakfast with lots of choices, including cappuchino, lattes. The room was quite spacious and had all the touches of a luxury hotel - bathrobes, water bottles, internet, restaurant, coffee/bar, professional staff that are knowledgeable and friendly.
The lobby has a beautiful marble staircase, and wide corridors giving it a sophisticated look.

If that is not enough, the hotel is wonderfully located to the various orthodox churches; the mosque; National Art Gallery, the flea market;
The ministry of Justice; the " ladies market", and Sofia, Bulgaria's finest high end shopping ( Bulgari, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren Polo, etc) , 3/4 blocks from the park; and other restaurants. Zara and 2 MacDonalds are also nearby.
It is about 25/30 minutes from the airport.

Just remember that Bulgaria is " the poorest member if the EU with living standards less than half it's average". I was concerned about some reviews I read of hotel but..
During the time of my stay, an Embassy had its formal dinner there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank marcopolopaloalto
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel. Your valuable comments will contribute to our team’s ongoing efforts to monitor and improve our service standards and help us in our continuous search for excellence.

We were pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you here again.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband 's work was based in Sofia for a while and his employers arranged for its' staff to stay in the Sofia Balkan Hotel, previously known as the Sheraton. After meeting with the lovely and professional Sales manager, we were shown around the hotel to choose a suitable room. All were big but then we were offered a Corner room which was more like a suite and very comfortable and quiet. George, the concierge kindly showed us around the hotel and gave us really useful information about the hotel and Sofia in general. It really is a magnificent building with marble staircases, thick rugs, beautiful chandeliers and huge floral arrangements on each floor. The hotel is thoroughly cleaned each day. Despite having minor faults like low water pressure and it took a while for the hot water to heat, it more than made up for these by it's' opulence and grandeur feeling, something you would never get in a soulless, modern, characterless hotel.
It is perfectly located in the centre of the city and is surrounded by many cafés, restaurants an designer and high street shops. There are very old and quaint churches nearby and some beautiful parks.
As we stayed there for quite a while, we got to know a number of the staff. From the beginning, we were treated in a friendly, yet professional manner and all staff, especially the waiting staff in the lobby bar went out of their way to provide us with excellent service. We also had access to the Executive Lounge which provided snack and drinks thought the day and evening. This was efficiently maintained and provided an alternative to going out every evening.
We thoroughly enjoyed our long stay and had no complaints. If we return to Sofia we would wish to stay there again.

Room Tip: We would recommend the corner room on the 3rd floor. It can get busy on the 1st floor with conferen...
1 Thank tisms2
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members. Comments like yours motivate us to improve even more on our performance.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Ok, it might be a bit old and some rooms need updating etc but for the location & price, i dont think there is a better option in Sofia. 24/7 Casino in the hotel too in case few hours to kill. Shame about the night club, as it could be quite fancy place (as it was in Communist times).
For sure a good place on a quick trip in Sofia - back there again in 2 weeks and it's Balkan/Sheraton again for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank snan
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you for your time taken to write such positive comments regarding your stay with us and to extend the greetings from all here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is another epic fail from Starwood Hotels. This is a massive hotel, well decorated (with a lot of luxury) and in a central location but fail horrendously in its human factor. I never been so angry and disappointed with the staff of a hotel before. They were not only clueless and unhelpful but were also scammers.

First of all, the rooms. The rooms were nice and the amenities were okay. There was a constant problem with the water and the heating but that didn't bother me that much. The bed was by far the best of the hotel. The location of the hotel was also a great attribute. It was central and would allow you to go to the key places walking.

The food outlets were okay but the services here started to get into my nerves. We went to the restaurant for dinner and was impossible to get a correct order. At the end we just eat whatever they brought us. The place was empty so there was no excuse for the delay and the bad service.

The concierge was not helpful at all. I had 2 big bags I didn't want to bring to my room and I expected to leave it in a storage room. He refused and won't allow it. When I ask to him to arrange me an airport transfer, he said that the hotel cars were not available but he would arrange a taxi of his confidence. As every taxi driver in Sofia, he was a scammers and I almost had a fight with him when I reach to the airport.

The cherry of the cake was when the next day I found out that they copy my credit card in the reception of the hotel. It was the only place I used it in my trip and I wasn't in a big financial problem because I could probe I was in Vienna when they try to used it again (still I had to cancel the card).

I didn't lose my trust in the Starwood Hotel Chain but this place almost push me to. I had bad experience in some Sheratons (mostly South American's) and some very good ones (Warsaw and Rome) but I would never return to this one.

My next trip would have an alternative, you can bet of that....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank RMartinSDXB
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions from your recent stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was glad to see that our rooms, food, and location fulfilled your expectations. About the water, it is a part of the general plumbing issue in the historical centre of the city, especially after constructions in the network that I assume we had during your stay.

We are taking under serious consideration your comments about our service in the restaurant, and our cooperation with the taxi company. We are constantly training and educating our restaurant staff and we have succeeded to be in a professional level communicating in the English language. In addition, as for the taxi company, this is the third time in nine months that we have had an issue and certainly, we are not going to let this pass like this. I would really appreciate it, if you can share more details of your personal experience concerning these two sectors.

Allow me not to accept your characterization of our staff as clueless, unhelpful, and, especially, scammers, for the following reasons:
About the storage room and your two bags – being the most historical hotel in the country, sharing the same building with the Presidency and, in only the last two years, accommodating more than ten Heads of State visitors and more than forty National Day celebrations from local embassies, we are obliged to follow strictly the security procedures.
About your credit card – as you were informed during check in, we get pre-authorization of every guest’s credit card as a guarantee for any extra consumption, with our guests’ permission of course.

Here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel we strive daily to meet and exceed all guests’ expectations. Clearly this time we should have done better and I regret that we did not.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I really hope, during your next stay, we have the opportunity to discus sin person.

We remain at your disposal.