“Nice hotel, good location, OK service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Sofia
Vancouver, Washington
“Nice hotel, good location, OK service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a nice hotel, in a great location. Most of the staff was cordial and nice, except for one individual at the reception desk. The hotel features a casino (I did not bother to visit); and a two restaurants. I did not eat the restaurant and cannot comment. Otherwise I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience experienced with this one person of our staff on the reception desk during your stay.

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just wanted to try "famous" Sheraton hotel, but was not really impressed. Executive room had a small french balcony, what was nice, but the furnire was tired... Bed very comfortable.
The only thing that "impressed" me were the prices of "extras"; they charge internet in room more tehn expesive...it's been some time, since I was there, but I think it was about 17 EUR per day (this is really expensive in comparison to ohre Sofia prices) and drinks from minibar costs more then double... in comparison to some expensive bars in Sofia or 4 x in comparison to a "normal" Sofia bar... Service at reception is poor... no one from the staff was nice enough... business like and cold, some of them maybe even rude..
Breakfast is very reach and good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelX17
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments through Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

I take very serious note of your comments and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that you have found us overpriced in comparison to what we offer.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about service and facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to consider giving us another chance when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I spent all weeknights for 4 months in the Sheraton, and had an overly positive experience. Service was great, the hotel staff is amazing and you actually feel at home in the hotel. Great job! Also, the location is unbeatable.

In regards with rooms, the deluxe rooms were very nice, although their design and furniture is dated and needs updating - it's still totally fine though and the bed is very good. What, on the other hand, is NOT fine is the basic rooms quality: this is in one word unacceptable. I spent only a couple of nights in one and I would never go back to one of those. Especially the bed was a tragedy, would have been a tragedy even for a 3* hotel, I just could not believe how bad it was.

On the rest of the package, food quality was seriously inconsistent, ranging from very good to downright mediocre. Business lounge was subpar, but still a fine place to work. Their gym needs to be updated urgently: it's tiny, has very few things and a few were even out of order.

In any case, it's a good choice for business in Sofia, but make sure you don't stay in the basic rooms!

Room Tip: Don't take the basic room type.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank menelaos1983
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about our basic rooms.In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned department.It is part of our plans in the near future to upgrade the facilities of our fitness center too.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked smart room located on 5thfloor. Size and grandeur hard to beat. However everything was tired. Most disappointing was service and consistency of house keeping - forgetting replenishment of shower gels, water, lightbulbs out etc.
The exec club was very small and poor selection of food, often cold and never replenished. The spa was dirty with little flies in the facilities. And whilst staying here they ran out of ordinary breakfast tea. For 2 days! It never dawned on anyone to maybe buy some. Finally there was a complete lack of concierge which resulted in us missing the chance to go up vitosha mountain due to the cable car only working at weekends, even though we asked about going and were there for a weekend. Impressive building, good location. That's about it.

1 Thank poptrash1
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I was very sorry to learn about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies about our shortcomings and our failure to meet your expectations.

Your remarks are helping us to improve the quality of our services and our performance in general.

Although we just finished our summer staff trainings, we already considering to re-start them, after your comments.

I hope that the latest experience did not mar your opinion about our Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel and to experience the real level of our service.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Everything is amazing, room dining, service of a night server, rooms, location, BUT the night agents at reception are just RUDE, they don't understand you, they don't listen to you, they argue....why??? It's just not nice when you have first impression. Sorry for that

1 Thank Val B
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts concerning your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to learn about the negative experience with our service that you had during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies about the shortcoming and unresponsiveness of our staff.Let me assure you that I take very serious note of your comments and that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to meet you personally when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

It has a good location.. right in the centre of sofia, the rooms seems nice and historical but they dont clean it.. just made the bed!!!

Terrible service when you asked them.. not even a smiley faces!

Even though, room service food was nice .. but there was a lake of choices in the lobby breakfast !

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SaraKMA
Dear Valued Guest,

I take very serious note of your comments and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and really depressed about your comment for smiling faces, something that we will continue to put efforts on.

Indeed the loyalty program that the hotel offers through Starwood is one of the most flexible, user-friendly and customer oriented that one can find in any similar loyalty guest program.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed for business and weekend. Was nice to stay in this historic building. the lobby looks great and so the conferences halls, satires and corridors are very wide (on accounts of the rooms?). The room I got was first floor facing front (Parking lot) and I was told it is renovated. It was nice a bit small and decorated nicely with warm colors, bed was good. bath room is small and so the cabins. I was surprised to see that there is no coffee point with kettle, there is no iron and there is no swimming pool. The gym was small and a bit outdated. The breakfast was OK and the staff in the restaurants was nice. The big advantage was the location. There is a gent club in the building (get ready to be approached if you are single) and a casino next to it.
All in all, was nice except for the iron and the gym/pool.

Room Tip: Check for renovated room with high floor (if there is one)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Your remarks help us to improve the quality of our services and it is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

I hope that the latest experience did not mar your opinion about our Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you again at Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.