“Full of old world charm”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you like marble and chandeliers, this is the right place to stay. The restaurant looks nice too with musician playing piano or harp.

The room is very big with high ceilings - a reminder that this is indeed an old building. Bath can be slippery, so watch out. Only complaint I have is the facilities seems a bit old too - I couldn't get the bed side lights to work and no matter how hard I look, I only found two sockets I can use, my laptop, phone and tablet just have to take turns to get charged!

The Executive Lounge in the 2nd floor is very small but has everything you need. No staff inside, you just enter with your keycard. They have snacks and drinks during happy hour and breakfast in the morning. I suspect it is open 24 hours but I did not go in after 9 pm.

Location of the hotel is excellent. It is next to a shopping street (pedestrian) to the left of the hotel when you walk out. In front of the hotel is a road that will take you to a huge mall (15 mins walk, I think it is called Sofia Mall) with many shops, restaurant and cinema inside.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, get a room facing the inner courtyard. The rooms facing the little church...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

There are newer reviews for Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I just spent a night in Sofia and was booked at the Sheraton. This is a good hotel overall, with the best part being its wonderful personnel! They were all professional and smiling, I was impressed! As my booking was done by a third party who had booked a room with two beds, I was asked at the reception if I would rather have a King size instead and voila, the change was made! Also as I asked to book a taxi to the airport for the next day, everything was arranged perfectly and the reception lady even tracked me at the breakfast room to let me know five minutes before the appointment that the car was waiting for me whenever I was ready!

Speaking of breakfast the buffet was nice and I really liked the "health corner"...

Now lets talk about the rooms. They are decorated in a heavy, stuffy manner which is not to my taste but I am sure that others like. The downside was that it starts to look a little dated... The bathroom was clean but the shower cord while functioning needed a replacement as the spiral had broken off and the plastic hose was exposed... Sleeping quality was good, the mattress was firm however not as comfortable as some of the best I had in the USA...

WiFi is free and you do have a strong signal, at least I did...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through Trip Advisor.

In reference with your comments about our rooms, I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issues to the all concerned departments for immediate reaction during our yearly Preventative Maintenance that is already on process.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent as always. I always stay here since it is near to everything, has very competitive rates and offers world class service.
Plus a great matress / pillow combination that makes it hard to get out of bed every morning.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for the time taken to fill out your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Your warm comments are more than impressive and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

One more time thanks for you high appreciation and rest assured that we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Excellent staff at check-in and concierge
Unskilled staff at breakfast
Poor supply and choice at breakfast, without recognizable local touch, e.g. in the native country of yoghurt and soured milk, the "Danone" so-called yogurt is offered ?!?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our services and facilities during your recent stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through the Trip Advisor’s website.

I take very serious note of your comments,especially for our breakfast and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. Here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel we strive daily to meet and exceed all guests’ expectations.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay with us. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was a nice hotel in a good part of town. Lots of shopping and site seeing in the area. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful durning my stay. The restaurant and room service food was a bit pricey but it was really good. If you do use room services and/or the minibar, be sure that you get a receipt on check out. After I checked out I was double charged for certain items. After a phone call they did were helpful and did fix the problem

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience experienced during your stay.

Through responses like yours we can continue to improve our standards and I would like to thank you once more. In regards with all the issues mentioned in your review I want to kindly inform you that recovery action has been consequently taken and all issues have been rectified.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The fact that this hotel is built for heads of states to stay when visiting Sofia shows from the doorstep. The corridors/staircases are grand and wide. The room we got was massive and very well decorated in stylish colours.
We stayed here for two nights and upon arrival we were upgraded immediately by a very friendly reception girl. Overall the staff is really friendly and helpful. During our stay we did not have a single problem.
This might be the best hotel we ever stayed in not only Sofia, but Europe. The prices are very reasonable despite being 5 stars so I am more than happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very attractive hotel, particularly in the public areas. The location was excellent, right next to the Serdika station (the crossroad of the Sofia metro system). Our room overlooked the Sveti Georgi, which was a huge plus! And the room, located on the 5th floor, was very quiet.

We were there for a wedding reception. I assume that the hotel provided the food, which was plentiful and excellent.

Downsides: Like most upscale hotels, we were charged for wireless internet. I'm used to this, but resent the practice, since most three-star hotels provide it for free. And it certainly doesn't cost the hotel anything. 35 euros for three days of wireless internet was absolutely ridiculous!

My daughter's recently purchased (and very expensive) cell phone was stolen from her handbag while she was in the revolving door. The woman who stole it had enough sense, and probably prior experience, to keep going through the door back to the exterior, where there are no security cameras. We reported the incident immediately to the staff at the front desk. The young man with whom we initially spoke was very helpful and courteous; his supervisor, however, who had been asked to check the security tapes (this is how we learned there was no exterior camera) all but accused my daughter of manufacturing the story because the tape of the lobby showed her exiting the door alone.

The room, although spacious in some ways, had no drawer space at all (except in the bathroom) and practically no shelf space. At the price paid, I did not expect to have to keep most of my clothes in my suitcase.

Breakfast -- not something I usually care about, but others certainly do. We had just transferred from the Grand Hotel, which offered a spectacular breakfast buffet. Breakfast at this hotel was only average.

Ingress and egress by car is made through a private parking lot not owned by the Sheraton. Taxis appear to be able to do this for free. In a private vehicle, however, it appeared to us that payment had to be made. (Most of the time we were there we were being driven in and out by a friend's chauffeur in a luxury car. We finally persuaded the driver to let us out on the street, rather than at the hotel entrance.)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bedimmed

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

Through responses like yours we can continue to improve our standards and I would like to thank you once more. In regards with all the issues mentioned in your review I want to kindly inform you how sorry I am about the behavior issue that your daughter faced from our colleague and that our action has been consequently taken.

In reference with your suggestion about our breakfast variety, I would like to assure that we have already paid a very special attention regarding your comment and I fully believe that next time when your travels bring you to Sofia we will meet your expectations.