“Old fashion hotel in the city centre”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed January 20, 2012

First of all I booked this hotel because it is in the city centre and I was always satisfied with Sheraton brand.
And I can say, I will book it again, in case I will be in Sofia overnight.

This hotel is refurbished old building with great atmosphere and smell of history and I like it. Just for example wide light huge corridors....

There are some small things, which can be done better - lifts, air condition control looks like from start of the last century, but this are not the reasons to feel bad about the hotel.

Rooms are very comfortable and staff very friendly and nice.

Breakfest is tasty. Just: cold the butter more, it was too warm and... I would like to have a fresh juices instead of these you have :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin K
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you, for sharing your thoughts and positive feelings about the services and hospitality that our employees have extended to you during your stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.
I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us.

In references with the comments about the breakfast, I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issue to the concerned department for immediate reaction and would make sure the special attention is paid. Indeed we do offer freshly squeezed juice during breakfast for every guest of the hotel.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input.

There are newer reviews for Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Six of us made a "quick" trip from the states to Sofia, Bulgaria and we stayed at the Sheraton. We all work for an airline, so that makes trips like this a little easier. It was about a 20 minute taxi ride, and the price was only 10 Lei - set this in advance before getting in the taxi. We checked in and were upgraded to the fifth floor. No club lounge, but nice rooms. As others mention, there is a casino connected to the hotel, and a few of us spent a few hours playing roulette there one night, winning a few Lei and drinking quite a few beers!

We were there on a Sunday and they were offering a brunch for 30 Euro. My wife did this and had a great time - unlimited red or white wine, and a huge selection of food to choose from. There was a magician to entertain the younger kids, but my wife happened to be the only one there for a while, so he entertained her instead!

The hotel is in the middle of everything that a tourist would want to see. Great suggestions for local restaurants from the front desk staff. Fast Food places right near by, along with an indoor and outdoor market just a few minutes away by foot.

The Free Sofia Walking Tour starts just a little bit away from the hotel, along with the Sofia Pub Crawl, which was a great time too!

If you are looking to travel to an inexpensive place, keep Sofia on the top of your list. Lots to see and do, and you will still have some money in your pocket when you are all done!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

I was very pleased to read that you and your companions have enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan and I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your positive thoughts about the services and facilities of our hotel through Trip Advisor’s website.

I am thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I'm more than happy each time when I have to book a room for our guests. The attitude of the personnel is adorable, they're always ready to help and make the best to impressed and to prove that Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan is the best possible business hotel in Sofia. We're working together from more than 3 years and a lot of our regional senior management had a chance to staied at the hotel and were very satisfied from the room, service, atmosphere and the special attitude. These are people who are travelling a lot and they have huge experience all over the world. Each time they insist to stay in Sheraton and this is not only requirement but assesment as well. I have to admit that the Sales Department is one of the most proffesional one that I've ever met, they always act as parner and try to do the best to surprice us and to offer the best possible option. I recommend the hotel for business meetings as well, they have a wonderful, cosy and stylish conference rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations. Thank you for finding the time to also compliment our team associates and be sure that we will pass your comments to them.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and further improve our standards.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed at the hotel shortly before NYE and got an amazing service!
Very nice, friendly and helpful concierge & Front desk!
This is the first time, when i get such a great service in Sofia!
Also, great location of the property - just few steps away from the main attractions of the capital.
Thank you for the experience, Sheraton Sofia!

Room Tip: the rooms far from the elevators, as they are very noisy higher floors are nicer
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nestinarka

Dear Valued Guest,

Your opinion certainly assist us through our continuously process of improvement.

Gerasimos Perdikaris

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Sheraton is always a safe choice as business hotel and this review is "judging" this hotel as a business hotel. Rooms are quiet with all typical amenities, still decoration is kind of "heavy" for my taste , but this style seems it is everywhere in Bulgaria. Breakfast and food is OK, wireless in the lobby , cafe is good for some quick meetings and area around the hotel has a couple of restaurants and a mall. I have stayed several times in the hotel with no surprises and the level of services always on the high side.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our services and facilities during your recent stay in Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through the Trip Advisor’s website.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Located at the heart of the historic centre, this is a truly grandiose establishment. Big windows, high-ceilings, marble bathrooms, big beds with nice covers, hearty breakfast, very good room-service. The staff are very professional. Really enjoyed the live piano music by the ground floor bar. The parking lot in front of the hotel is not free for hotel guests and that can be a bit awkward given the price one pays for the room. Other than that, this is top value for money, a jewel for Sofia.

Room Tip: To get a glimpse of the city traffic, ask for a room that overlooks the Sveta Nedelya square. To get...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comment and feelings and I’m very happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and that members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and impressions from your recent stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a five star Hotel. The personnel are very courteous, the rooms are impeccably clean, the common areas have a bygone grandeur atmosphere. It most centrally located in Sofia and the parking are just in front of the Hotel extremely convenient (I traveled by car from Thessaloniki, the drive is over very picturesque territory!)
Only "sore", but minor, point is the breakfast which leaves a few things to be desired (e.g. bread, a staple ingredient for any breakfast, well, it was . . . unacceptable).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I want to tell you we already took into consideration your comments and corrective action has been taken.

Your remarks help us to improve the quality of our services and it is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more for this.