“Sad Sushi”

Happy Sushi
Ranked #142 of 1,004 Restaurants in Sofia
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: For the year restaurant chain Happy Bar & Grill was voted "Favorite brand of Bulgarian consumer" in section "Catering". Lovemarks" does not rely on the jury in the nominations, they are free based solely on user preferences and do not include specific market criteria
Los Angeles
“Sad Sushi”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This place looked great: dark mood lighting, ambient dance music, fashionable waitresses in slinky outfits. But then I ordered the food. Things deterioriated badly from there.

The miso soup was the best of it: dark, over-tangy, and a touch too large. But at least it tasted OK. It was followed by vegetable tempura. This is not a hard dish to cook: you slice up vegetables, cover them in batter and deep fry 'em. On good tempura, the batter comes out light, crisp and almost fluffy. On this one, it was soggy as a wet biscuit.

After that, sushi. I had an uninspiring tuna nigiri, a dry king crab nigiri, and then what can only be described as vile mackerel nigiri. The whole point of sushi is that it's fresh and clean. This lot was well past its sell-by date. It smelled off. The mackerel was actually inedible. It's an oily fish; that's what makes it delicious. but the specimen I got had dried out, like an old scab. I physically gagged while eating the first one, and left the second behind.

Out of sheer stupidity, I then decid ry one of the restaurant's other food groups (why not: the menu is 38 pages long) so opted for a dish from the salad menu. It had squid on it The salad bit was OK. The squid, again, tasted off. So I left most of it.

Dinner for one, with beer and a glass of wine, was the equivalent of 30 euros. It was the worst meal I've had in a while, and marks the last time I ever attempt sushi in a former Communist country.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Grizzly78

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Caylus, France
“Good food, slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Looks like a burger house, and I think if you look hard enough in the endless menu you could probably find one. Fun atmosphere with good it not extensive Japanese selection. Service was slow when we visited.

Visited November 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Nothing special, but sushi, nonetheless”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've been to the Happy Sushi in the Center. I accidentally ordered a sushi roll with 'edible sand' on it and I'll be sure to never do that again. I didn't find anything outstanding about their food, but I was able to satisfy my edamame cravings.

Tip: Never tell the waitress you don't care which kind of bottled water you get, unless you don't mind paying 7 leva.

Visited October 2012
Exeter, Devon
“An excellent oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were having a miserable time in Sofia over Christmas when it was like a ghost town. However we came across this Happy Sushi and the food and servive was ecellent and the staff were smiling and efficient and we would recommend it to evryone. We were served by Katerina and she was so pleasant and courteous and nothing was too much toruible

• Visited December 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
“a big selection of variable sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I mostly order sushi from Happy to at it at home and the selection is what I like most.

And the location and services in the Sushi restaurants itself are very good. Which should be expected from Happy :)

Visited October 2012