Open today: 8:30 AM - 10:00 PM

from $51.08
from $34.05
from $45.41
1,173 results
All reviews rila monastery and boyana church rila lakes self guided hiking trip full day tour small group great hiking rhodope mountains veliko tarnovo private tour driver guide great trip beautiful scenery bulgarian mountains chair lift wonderful guide his knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed October 12, 2018

I really had a nice day at 7 Lakes of Rila! The view was beautiful and I highly recommend this activity even to people who are not used to hike!

Our guide Todor, was amazing. He was super nice, had consideration for all of us, had a great energy and he created a great atmosphere in our group!

It was just a nice day! :)

Date of experience: October 2018
AmeliyaIlieva, Guest Relations Manager at Traventuria - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2019

Hello!

Thanks so much for writing this review - we love hearing about the experiences that our guests have had, especially when they're so positive, it lets us know we're doing something right!

Reviewed October 12, 2018

My tour with Traventuria unfortunately goes in the 'one of my less favourite tours' categories... It wasn't a complete disaster by any means, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it unfortunately.

Starting with booking - the website is a bit of a mess. On the tour page it stated that entrance fees were included, but then when you go to book it asks if you would like to pay for your entrance fees up-front. As it transpires, entrance fees are 'not' included on the tour, and so this should be updated on the tour page to avoid confusion.

This wasn't the only source of confusion though - as literally only a few lines apart, it says that the meeting time is 7:00am...then a few lines down it talks of meeting at 8:00am. This really isn't good and I shouldn't have to email the company to find out exactly what the correct information is.

I also tried to book a hotel pick-up, which again the tour page says you can do for an extra charge. Then when booking, of course, there was no ability to choose this option. I emailed the company to ask if I could arrange this, and received no response.

So instead I had to walk the streets of Sofia as a solo-female in the dark at 6:30am, trying to find the meeting place by avoiding poorly lit alleyways and groups of men in the shadows. I know it sounds dramatic and I was probably perfectly safe - but I didn't feel it, and I was not happy with the company for having not offered the service they claimed they offered. I was eventually running a bit late in the end for the start of the tour, because I had had to avoid certain dark parks and alleyways on my route to the starting point, but the guide called me and was friendly enough on my arrival.

Now, the admin aside, for the tour itself. I will start by saying that I could see it was a difficult group - one person in particular seemed pretty challenging for the guide, and even myself at times. However unfortunately, I felt this impacted on the guides attitude towards the group as a whole throughout the day. I tried my best to keep things upbeat, but you could see that slowly the guide became slightly less engaged, more defensive and less involved as the day wore on. By the end of the day, we had a roughly 1.5hr or so trip back to Sofia in complete silence. Most questions asked were given very curt answers and not really encouraged. I stopped asking after awhile as I was sort of made to feel like a bit of a nuisance, which was a shame, as I am a keen travellers, have a travel blog and run an online community for female travellers, so I simply try to find out as much information about a place as I can from guides and people with the information. This was the first time I had ever encountered a guide who didn't really seem that interested to share that information as such.

For the sites themselves, I did really enjoy Melnik - although again I was disappointed that we did not get the panoramic view of the village and the mountains which is shown on the website. I specifically asked the guide if we did, and they responded yes, but then we did not. Perhaps it was lost in translation a bit, and from the angle in hindsight perhaps it was a drone shot, but it was still disappointing to be told something yet again that was not delivered.

The lunch stop was lovely and I really enjoyed it, however it would have been nice if the guide had sat with us for lunch so we had a better opportunity to speak to them, instead of just leaving us to it.

Rila Monastery was also of course beautiful and the guide was always obliging to take photographs, and I appreciated being there later in the day.

All in all - my experience with Traventuria was ok, but by no means great, especially when compared to other tour companies. The conflicting information on the website needs to be sorted out, the services offered actually need to be delivered, and (even though I fully appreciate how hard it may have been), the guide should try not to let one difficult person ruin their enthusiasm for the tour for the rest of the group.

I would find it difficult to recommend Traventuria on my blog/to my group/to friends etc, at least until they have worked through some of the issues mentioned above.

2  Thank Tegz
Reviewed October 9, 2018

Although we just arrived on time they called us to ask if we could still make it beforehand and waited until we did. The trip was guided by a enthusiastic guide with funny jokes. The trip in general is very relaxed with enough time between stops and visits.

2  Thank Carola P

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

The tour was absolutely amazing and one of the toughest hikes I have ever made. Our guide Todor (I think that is his name) was really nice and told us a lot of the history.
What I hope will be improved is the communication regarding the pick up location. I booked via Get your guide and on the booking confirmation it only said that one will meet at the Nevski Cathedral. Since this is a big building, I wrote an email to traventuria, with a sattelite Google image attached. In the screenshot of the Cathedral I highlighted the bus parking lot in front of the cathedral, asking them to confirm or correct my assumption. They replied that yes, this was the meeting point. So I got there 15 minutes ahead as they wanted me to, waiting. No bis, no other people there. At 07.00 am I was going to call traventuria what happened and in this moment they called me, asking where I was. I explained and they told me it's behind the Cathedral... Thank you! They should definitely tell this to their customers. However, I am happy they called and not just drove off without me.

Reviewed October 6, 2018

A lovely day trip to a city that doesn’t seem to get as many visitors as it deserves. Its historic significance should not be underestimated, and its location offers panoramic views over the surrounding area, especially from the Tsarevets fortress. The frescoes at Arbanassi are breath-taking. We also visited another small working monastery in the area. This was meant to be a small group tour, but we were the only participants on that day, yet the company chose to run the trip just for the two of us, rather than cancel. The guide, Christo, was very knowledgeable, engaging and charming. We learned a lot more, not only about the history, but also about present day Bulgaria.

Date of experience: September 2018
AmeliyaIlieva, Guest Relations Manager at Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanassi Small-Group Day Trip, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2019