“Fantastic week of walking in awesome scenery”

Traventuria - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$67.74*
and up
The Seven Rila Lakes & Rila Monastery
Ranked #3 of 50 Outdoor Activities in Sofia
More attraction details
Owner description: Traventuria Ltd is a fully bonded Bulgarian tour operator, possessing a management with experience of over 10 years in the field of the incoming tourism in Bulgaria and the Balkans. The company offers cultural and active holidays, private transfers, ski and snow board packages. Flexibility, local knowledge and perfection in all our services are our distinctive feature!
Reviewed July 12, 2017

We did the 8 day self-guided Riddles of Rila walking tour in the first week of July 2017. The tour was well organised with comfortable accommodation and good customer service. The walking maps were complemented with useful detailed directions in English and Traventuria staff were friendly and helpful. The walking was tough, with some long distances & a lot of climb on quite rocky terrain. Rewards were incredible views. Highlights of the week were: 7 lakes (day 4); scary lake (day 5); and Mt Musala (day 7). We took the short 10k walk on day 6 as we were too tired for the 30k option, and were able to spend the rest of the day at a swimming pool & spa at Hotel Rila (20 Leva per person). Great food in Borovets, more basic in Govedartsi (particularly for the vegetarian). Sometimes the walks were a bit longer as measured by GPS compared to the descriptions in the written guide. Sofia was great and it was a shame only to have one night there so would recommend extending the trip a couple of days either before or after to see more of the city. Borovets also had mountain bikes for hire, horse riding, swimming and zip wires - all activities it would have been fun to try if we'd had the time...
We are averagely fit in our mid-thirties with reasonable hiking experience and wouldn't have wanted to be any less fit than we are to cope with this tour!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank rootforrest
All reviews
"rila monastery and boyana church"
in 52 reviews
"small group"
in 15 reviews
"group tour"
in 5 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
"hiking trip"
"bulgarian mountains"
"wander around"
"always on time"

Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

After reading good reviews of Traventuria, I signed my daughter and myself for a day trip to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church out of Sofia. We were so happy with this tour, especially because the tour guide-Marina was wonderful!!! No kidding, she is probably one of the best tour guides I've ever had and I travel ALOT! First the logistics were so easy-I signed up online, received confirmation and showed up right where they told me, very easy to find. The bus was there waiting and a very pleasant person was checking people's tickets etc and we left right on time-9:00 AM. Very organized and efficient. Thank you. There were 15 people in our group-very manageable. The bus/van was very clean and comfortable, driver was professional. Our first stop was Boyana church, a small church in the suburbs of Sofia with beautiful frescos and interesting history. Next we went to Rila monastery which was in the mountains and has amazing frescos and architecture. Very picturesque. After a brief tour we had plenty of time-1 1/2 hours to wander around and get some lunch. There are 2 restaurants which are okay-some people brought there own lunch-whatever works for you. We returned to Sofia about 4:30 PM.

What made this experience so exceptional was Marina. She was so knowledgeable about the history of the church and monastery as well as Bulgaria in general. Her explanations of the frescos were so interesting, they came to life. You can tell she loves talking about them and sharing them with tourists. Her English is excellent and she had a fun sense of humor, plus she didn't bore us with long winded explanations about things. Marina also seemed very proud of her country, sharing lots of interesting information, including stories about the communist era and more recent history. She is a good ambassador for Bulgaria.

I would definitely recommend this day trip and Traventuria especially if you are so lucky to get Marina as your guide.

Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

Me and a friend booked the day trip to Plovdiv which is beautiful!! Make sure when you get some free time you go and eat lunch at Pavaj. Its a road away from the main high street but the food was awesome and the little area it was in was so pretty!

The tour guide/company were really good and value for money.

The second tour we booked (via our lovely guide whom we were having cocktails with after the trip), was hiking the 7 Rila Lakes. This trip was full on the website but she called her manager and arranged a private trip for us for 120 euros. It didn't end up being a private tour because we were on the same bus as the main group and walked with them too. We wasn't that bothered though as we still got to see the amazing views and we worked out that we pretty much paid the usual price anyway (39 euros plus 18 euros for the lift).

Highly recommend the company and the trips - even though the hike was the hardest thing i have ever done! Do not give up at lake 5! Go to lake 7 (even if the tour guides try to sway you to stop)! :-)

Reviewed July 11, 2017

To Whom It May Concern,
I just completed your Pirin to Rila trip today and I couldn't even wait until I arrived home to tell you how impressed I was with your company.

I have visited many countries with various companies but never experienced anything as incredible as what i did with your company.

The itinerary was perfectly thought out and each day surpassed the one before. I loved the fact that the group was small. It added a real personal touch and made me feel like I was trekking with family.

As for our guide, I cannot say enough great things about Alex. He is an amazing ambassador for your country. He was incredibly knowledgeable, charismatic, thoughtful, helpful and always went above and beyond the calls of duty to make sure everyone was happy. Nothing was ever a problem for him to do and he always did everything with a smile. He is obviously passionate about his work.

I really cannot thank you enough for giving me the most incredible memories of your beautiful country.
I am leaving Bulgaria with a heavy heart but I am sure that I will return in the future.

From the bottom of my heart thank you for this inspiring experience.
I wish you every success for the future.
Go raibh mile maith agat.
Karina Johns