Open today: 8:30 AM - 10:00 PM

from $50.29
from $33.53
from $44.71
1,174 results
All reviews rila monastery and boyana church rila lakes self guided hiking trip full day tour small group great hiking rhodope mountains veliko tarnovo private tour driver guide great trip beautiful scenery bulgarian mountains chair lift wonderful guide his knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

Did the Rila Monastery day tour and had a great time. I used to be opposed to doing day tours, preferring to go on my own. I found out so much information from our guide I would have never found out on my own. Did not feel rushed and ride to the Church and Monastery was comfortable. Highly recommend this tour.

Date of experience: September 2016
TraventuriaAdmin, Manager at Traventuria - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2016

Dear Ruben,
Thank you very much for the review of our services. I also prefer to travel independently as it gives me the freedom to plan my time and experiences as I wish. Regretfully, as a Bulgarian, I have to admit that in my country most of the tourist sites and museums provide very scares information to their visitors. Thank you for recommending our tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church. I sincerely believe that for the time being, the best way to explore Rila Monastery is with a guided tour organized from Sofia.
Happy travels!

Reviewed September 9, 2016

We did 2 Day Tours with Traventuria from Sofia. I booked everything online and made payment online without any issues. I had questions and sent them via email which were responded to in a timely manner.

First tour we did was the Boyana Church and Rila Monastery for 25 Euros per person.
We met at 9am at the Alexander Nevski Church - find the La Cattedrale Restaurant. The van will be parked in front of the restaurant.
There were 13 people in our group which was a good size.
The tour does NOT include entrance fee.
We paid 8 lev for Boyana Church because we got a group price as we were more than 10. Normal price is 10 lev.
The church only allows 8 people max and 10 min max.
We spent 1 hour here at a leisurely pace. (9:45 am - 10:45 am)
On our way to Rila, we stopped by a restaurant to order lunch at 12:45 pm and got to Rila at 1 pm. We spent 1.5 hours there.
Lunch was at 2:45 pm and not included. Fish is very popular and the fish with 2 sides with a glass of wine and beer was about 25 lev.
Entry to the church at Rila is free.
The museum is an extra 8 lev. However, we did not go into the museum.
By the time we got back to Sofia, it was 6 pm.

The 2nd tour we did was Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery. Pick up was at 8:30 am at Alexander Nevski church. Tour price was 39 euros per person.
This time, we were only 3 in the group, including us.
We made 1 rest stop at Burger King at 10:15 am for about 15 minutes.
We arrived at Plovdiv at 11 am. Entrance to Ethnographic Museum for 5 lev was not included.
We ate lunch at Plovdiv around 1:30 pm - 3 pm
We got to Bachkovo Monastery at 3:45 and stayed until 4:30 pm. Entrance is free to the church.
By the time we got back to Sofia, it was 6:45 pm.

Both tours were good in a small size group. The car we had on the 2nd day was different from the 1st day and the only complaint is that the AC wasn't as good in the 2nd car. Also, we didn't like having lunch so late. We would prefer to have lunch a bit earlier.

Overall, I would recommend Traventuria. The tour price is reasonable and provides good transportation to the sites.

Date of experience: September 2016

Dear Sir or Madam,
I sincerely thank you for the time spend to write such a long and detailed review. I will allow myself to add a comment. More often the tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church first starts with Rila Monastery and in this case the time given for a lunch break is earlier. We have to change the itinerary and go first to Boyana Church, when all the afternoon time slots for group visits are already booked.
I believe that your review will be helpful to a lot of travelers.

All the best and hope that we see you in Bulgaria again.

Reviewed August 31, 2016

Minibus Day trip from Sofia, leaving at 9.00am from Nevski Cathedral and returning at 4.30/5ish. Martin was our guide and he was very informative. We paid for the audio guides but needn't have as Martin was just as good. First we went to Boyana Church which has very old wall paintings inside - it is small so they restrict the amount of time you can be in there and also the group size. Then 1.5 hours driving to the monastery, with info given on the bus before entry. There you wander around by yourself and can see the monks going about their holy duties, we got given some holy bread by a woman who had just had it blessed. People were getting all sorts of items blessed and praying over relics. The frescos are bright and the church is ornate and shiny. Part of King Boris is buried there, we learn't a lot of history.

Date of experience: August 2016
AmeliyaIlieva, Guest Relations Manager at Traventuria - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2019

Hello!

Thank you so much for your review and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your time on our tour. We work really hard to offer the best customer service so I am happy to see that reflected on your visit.

Traventuria’s team is always doing its best to present Bulgaria's culture and nature at its best. Thank you for your high appreciation of our services. It means a lot to us. We hope to welcome you again in Bulgaria. There is plenty more to discover.

Reviewed August 30, 2016

I absolutely recommend this agency if you're interested in visiting Rila Monastery and Boyana Church in Bulgaria.
Our great guide Daphina made the trip really interesting with all the information she gave us, not only about the places we were visiting but about the history of the country, way of life, etc. As we were a bigger group than usual (around 15 people) we also had an exceptional professional driver.
The trip cost 25€, leaving Sofia at 09:00 from Alexander Nevski Cathedral and returning to the same point around 18:00.

Reviewed August 28, 2016

I did the Rila Monatry trip and a very, very much enjoyed this. The company has a professional driver and and English speaking guide. In our case, Martin was guiding us and he did a terrific job - a lot of insight as well as tones of enthusiasm and determination to make this a wonderful experience. Thanks a lot for making this an Excellent trip, Martin.