“Brilliant guided hiking”

and up
The Seven Rila Lakes & Rila Monastery
Ranked #3 of 50 Outdoor Activities in Sofia
More attraction details
Owner description: Traventuria Ltd is a fully bonded Bulgarian tour operator, possessing a management with experience of over 10 years in the field of the incoming tourism in Bulgaria and the Balkans. The company offers cultural and active holidays, private transfers, ski and snow board packages. Flexibility, local knowledge and perfection in all our services are our distinctive feature!
Reviewed September 14, 2016

This was our first guided hiking tour (Hiking Trek in the Pirin and Rila Mountains) and first experience of Traventuria. What can I say? They have set the bar very high! It was wonderful!

The guide (Alex) was warm and welcoming right from the very beginning. The guide was very organised, informing us of the plan everyday, so we were aware of what to expect. He went above and beyond what we expected as a guide, telling us all about Bulgarian history & culture as he guided us up mountains and by lakes.

Alex even guided us in the evening taking us to traditional Bulgarian restaurants, where people played traditional folk music and taking us to a village where two locals opened up a room in their house and served us delicious food.

It was an action packed week! I really felt that I got to know the country well, taking in not only one but two national parks in 8 days. I loved the trip and I loved Bulgaria!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

All reviews
"rila monastery and boyana church"
in 52 reviews
"small group"
in 15 reviews
"group tour"
in 5 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
"hiking trip"
"bulgarian mountains"
"wander around"
"always on time"

Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

Did the Rila Monastery day tour and had a great time. I used to be opposed to doing day tours, preferring to go on my own. I found out so much information from our guide I would have never found out on my own. Did not feel rushed and ride to the Church and Monastery was comfortable. Highly recommend this tour.

TraventuriaAdmin, Manager at Traventuria - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2016

Dear Ruben,
Thank you very much for the review of our services. I also prefer to travel independently as it gives me the freedom to plan my time and experiences as I wish. Regretfully, as a Bulgarian, I have to admit that in my country most of the tourist sites and museums provide very scares information to their visitors. Thank you for recommending our tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church. I sincerely believe that for the time being, the best way to explore Rila Monastery is with a guided tour organized from Sofia.
Happy travels!

Reviewed September 9, 2016

We did 2 Day Tours with Traventuria from Sofia. I booked everything online and made payment online without any issues. I had questions and sent them via email which were responded to in a timely manner.

First tour we did was the Boyana Church and Rila Monastery for 25 Euros per person.
We met at 9am at the Alexander Nevski Church - find the La Cattedrale Restaurant. The van will be parked in front of the restaurant.
There were 13 people in our group which was a good size.
The tour does NOT include entrance fee.
We paid 8 lev for Boyana Church because we got a group price as we were more than 10. Normal price is 10 lev.
The church only allows 8 people max and 10 min max.
We spent 1 hour here at a leisurely pace. (9:45 am - 10:45 am)
On our way to Rila, we stopped by a restaurant to order lunch at 12:45 pm and got to Rila at 1 pm. We spent 1.5 hours there.
Lunch was at 2:45 pm and not included. Fish is very popular and the fish with 2 sides with a glass of wine and beer was about 25 lev.
Entry to the church at Rila is free.
The museum is an extra 8 lev. However, we did not go into the museum.
By the time we got back to Sofia, it was 6 pm.

The 2nd tour we did was Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery. Pick up was at 8:30 am at Alexander Nevski church. Tour price was 39 euros per person.
This time, we were only 3 in the group, including us.
We made 1 rest stop at Burger King at 10:15 am for about 15 minutes.
We arrived at Plovdiv at 11 am. Entrance to Ethnographic Museum for 5 lev was not included.
We ate lunch at Plovdiv around 1:30 pm - 3 pm
We got to Bachkovo Monastery at 3:45 and stayed until 4:30 pm. Entrance is free to the church.
By the time we got back to Sofia, it was 6:45 pm.

Both tours were good in a small size group. The car we had on the 2nd day was different from the 1st day and the only complaint is that the AC wasn't as good in the 2nd car. Also, we didn't like having lunch so late. We would prefer to have lunch a bit earlier.

Overall, I would recommend Traventuria. The tour price is reasonable and provides good transportation to the sites.

Dear Sir or Madam,
I sincerely thank you for the time spend to write such a long and detailed review. I will allow myself to add a comment. More often the tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church first starts with Rila Monastery and in this case the time given for a lunch break is earlier. We have to change the itinerary and go first to Boyana Church, when all the afternoon time slots for group visits are already booked.
I believe that your review will be helpful to a lot of travelers.

All the best and hope that we see you in Bulgaria again.

Reviewed August 31, 2016

Minibus Day trip from Sofia, leaving at 9.00am from Nevski Cathedral and returning at 4.30/5ish. Martin was our guide and he was very informative. We paid for the audio guides but needn't have as Martin was just as good. First we went to Boyana Church which has very old wall paintings inside - it is small so they restrict the amount of time you can be in there and also the group size. Then 1.5 hours driving to the monastery, with info given on the bus before entry. There you wander around by yourself and can see the monks going about their holy duties, we got given some holy bread by a woman who had just had it blessed. People were getting all sorts of items blessed and praying over relics. The frescos are bright and the church is ornate and shiny. Part of King Boris is buried there, we learn't a lot of history.