“Absolutely fantastic experience”

and up
The Seven Rila Lakes & Rila Monastery
Ranked #3 of 46 Outdoor Activities in Sofia
More attraction details
Owner description: Traventuria Ltd is a fully bonded Bulgarian tour operator, possessing a management with experience of over 10 years in the field of the incoming tourism in Bulgaria and the Balkans. The company offers cultural and active holidays, private transfers, ski and snow board packages. Flexibility, local knowledge and perfection in all our services are our distinctive feature!
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My dad and I took three tours with Traventuria and had an excellent time on each one. Each day was easy, relaxing, enjoyable, fun, and very informative. The tours are very personalized, the guides are great, and the company is flexible. For example, my dad and I wanted to go to Belogradchik Fortress, which is not on one of the normal tours with the company, but it was very easy to arrange a trip there anyway. Similarly, our last tour was meant to be a hike through the Rila Lakes; unfortunately, the evening before our tour a cold front blew through and the day dawned with freezing rain. We decided rather late the day before that we didn't want to do it, but unfortunately had no way of contacting Traventuria so late. That morning, when our guide came to pick us up, we asked to change the tour, and it was completely fine, no problem at all. Great, flexible people in charge of the company.
Our guides themselves were also awesome (we had tours with both Orlin and Rusi). Examples of the amazing things they did:
Guiding us on an impromptu hike when we expressed it might be fun to hike for a little while
Clearing away the branches on the trail in front of us while on the hike!
Offering to take pictures of us all the time without us having to ask them to
Knowing which gas stations had clean bathrooms and stopping there
Knowing the back routes to the important sites which avoided traffic/had more beautiful scenery
Offering to call ahead at the restaurant and place my order when I indicated I wanted a dish that he knew took a while to prepare
Taking the time to mark on our city map restaurant recommendations for Sofia when we indicated we were having trouble finding a place to eat
In addition to doing all this, both guides were very knowledgeable, not just about history, but about little quirks about the places we were visiting--they knew which restaurants were good, which place offered the best wine tasting, what was good at what restaurant, etcetera.
I would definitely recommend this tour company. Not only are the guides exemplary and the company flexible, but unless you read Cyrillic, you'll want a guide escorting you around Bulgaria, and you can't find any better than the ones at this company.

3  Thank scottishowlgirl
in 6 reviews
"always on time"
"excellent english"

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I took 2 tours with Traventuria while I was in Sofia and they were both perfect. The 7 Rila Lakes hike was absolutely great with my guide Orlin Koychev being really exceptional, very friendly and helpful, he made the tour very enjoyable! The second tour to the Rila monastery and Boyana church was also amazing with our guide Kristian being perfect, very informative and friendly!

1  Thank George E
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited Rila Monastery and Boyana Church - only one other couple so it was far more than a "shuttle bus" as the driver was not only sociable but provided us with great information. Our next trip was to Plovdiv - that was an experience I would not have missed! Velko, our guide, tailored the trip to fit our interests - we were so lucky! How many people get to experience Bachevo Monastery on Good Friday? Then at Plovdiv, the information he shared added so much to the walk-around. At the little craft shop, we took time to watch and visit with the weaver. Then Velko worked in a visit to a winery for a tasting followed by a delicious shopsa for lunch. It was a full day but so much learned, unique experiences and such great company.

1  Thank Yvonne S
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've taken three tours with Traventuria: Rila Monastery, Plovdiv and Veilko Tarnovo. All three have been fantastic experiences due to the fact that the tour guides would tailor the trips to our needs. For example, during the last tour I was a bit tired of churches. Velko, an excellent tour guide, modified the tour and took me to a great place where the crafts people still made crafts the old-fashioned way. It was educational, fun and a great experience. His attention and flexible nature made the trip very special.

2  Thank J D
See more reviews
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I used Traventuria's shuttle bus service to the Rila Monastery and Boyana Church outside of Sofia. The shuttle bus provided us with a driver, not a guide; however our driver Orlin was amazing and offered up a ton of great information about Bulgaria, the Monastery, dining options, etc. The shuttle departure was prompt and clean. The monastery is truly beautiful and not to be missed. Our driver Orlin also took us on a great hike into the incredibly lush mountains a few kilometers from the Monastery that we would have never found ourselves and later to a local restaurant that served tasty fresh trout. If you find yourself in Sofia and are looking for a day trip out of the city, we would definitely recommend you go to the Rila Monastery with Traventuria.

3  Thank Adena M
TraventuriaAdmin, Manager at Traventuria - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Adena,
Thank you for the review and the good words. We are always trying to improve our services. Soon there will be also an audioguide for the Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Shuttle, which I hope will just compliment our driver-guides. We also have a new video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsN-fDHyhc , which I hope can be used by travelers who are reading your review.
I hope we will see you back in Bulgaria.
All the best with your journeys,
Svet