“Checkpoint Charlie continues to please”
Review of Checkpoint Charly

Checkpoint Charly
Ranked #63 of 1,343 Restaurants in Sofia
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Over the last few years Zi have visited several times - I live it! The ambience is great. I love the subtle jazz music, good menu and service which doesn't intrude. The shabby chic interior helps creTe a very relaxed atmosphere, while the 'message' of restaurant name is thought provoking and humbling. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We found this place by accident - and we loved it. A beautiful gardenlike yard outside, where it was nice and warm to sit, even if it is October. It was cosy and very enjoyable, even more so after we learned that the main house had been the home of a famous bulgarian author. We ordered five different starters, and shared them for the two of us for our dinner. The great atmosphere was everywhere: the beautiful old plates, candles on the table and nice old jazz music. Bulgarian dishes tasted just perfect! Grilled aubergines, mushroom risotto and many more. The chocholate suffle for the dessert was a dream come true.
During my stay I had also dined at La Capannina (very good italian) and Manastirska Magernitza (nice traditional bulgarian), which were both very enjoyable, but this was by far the best. I recommend very warmly.
While we were waiting for the taxi after the nice evening, we realized that there was also another part of the restaurant "next door", inside. It might be also nice, but very different in decoration and atmosphere from the garden - so this review is directed to the garden and to the small inside restaurant which has window to the garden.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I really enjoyed all the meals that we had. Great salmon with risotto.. probably one of the best I ever had. The atmosphere was also very nice, I was very interested in the interior and looking at all the war details.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were there for a dinner,an early diner at around 19h00 and the staff was not really interested to work as the restaurant was empty or almost empty (1 table occupied).
the food doesn't match the originality of the decoration, the original style of the restaurant: everything was quite bland. My wife ordered a sea bass that was served full of bone, the waiter never offered to lift the fillets or to open the fish...I was expected this kind of service for the price of the dish but it was just the wrong place...bad mark for that, I think the staff should be more professionally trained.
All previous reviews are mainly made by people who attended a jazz session...there was no Jazz that evening

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We love this place in Sofia, the food is good, the jazz is great, great ambiance and really is a favourite in Sofia.