“Aptly named for its elegance, grace and charm”
Review of Lebed

Lebed
Ranked #226 of 1,056 Restaurants in Sofia
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Aptly named for its elegance, grace and charm”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

My experiences of Bulgarian food had largely been very positive. The quality of the ingredients was mostly very good so I was interested to see how well they married up with a 'fine dining' experience.

I have long been a fan and advocate of Trip Advisor so naturally when I wanted to find a good restaurant on my recent trip to Bulgaria I checked here first. I had expected, mistakenly as it turned out, that the #1 rated restaurant (at the time of writing) would be in the centre of Sofia. It was in fact on the shores of Lake Pancharevo which, as luck would have it, was en route to Samokov where I was staying. Even if it had been out of the way, then I would certainly have made the effort, if I'd known what a good experience it would prove.

We arrived, without a booking, late afternoon / early evening. We were greeted cordially and offered a choice of tables as they were not busy. The decor is modern and tasteful. The side that overlooks the lake is comprised almost entirely of large glass panels allowing for plentiful natural light. It is the setting, in combination with its decor and ambience, that are its outstanding features.

I had a starter of king prawns, mashed potatoes and a caramelised sauce which, although unusual as a combination, was excellently done. I followed with a main course of steak, fried potatoes, mixed grilled vegetables and asparagus. The only negative of the meal was the asparagus which had been either boiled or steamed within an inch of its life. Our waiter agreed that this was not 'right'. Whilst disappointing this was a minor trifle.

We decided not to have dessert but concluded with coffee and the remnants of the wine on the outside terrace. As throughout the meal, nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff, who brought out our drinks as well as cushions and ensured we were comfortable.

By Bulgarian standards Lebed is expensive but well worth the money. I would certainly have been poorer without the experience for the money it cost.

I can imagine spending a long summer's afternoon sitting outside enjoying the food, wine and ambience of the surroundings. I am fortunate that I can say I have eaten better food but I can seldom claim to have had better dining experiences. Nestled on the shores of the lake this restaurant can contend with the best dining experiences around. After all, dining has never been simply about food.

As its Bulgarian name suggests, Swan, exudes elegance, grace and charm. If you're in Sofia and you need to detour to enjoy this I unreservedly recommend you do so (after all, overcooked asparagus never has or will be a 'deal breaker') Should you have the chance to do so on a warm, sunny day then you will have been even more fortunate than I was.

• Hebrew first
Brno, Czech Republic
“Close to perfection”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had our wedding there at the end of May.
Perfectly served by the staff, the reacted quickly on the sudden rain, collecting everything important from the garden. The waiters were experienced and always there when needed, without being intrusive.
Interior was nice, food was great, as were the drinks. The manager was helpful and very kind.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Ivo V
“A Jewel in sofia”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having read the reviews on tripadvisor we thought we'd give Lebed a go. From staying in central so Sophia it took approx 25 min by taxi costing about 15-18 lev to get there.
Firstly the restaurant building lives up to the expectation. Interior was romanticallly lit with booths (having tv's with fishtanks playing) and tables to look towards the lake. We happened to be 1 of only 2 couples in the restaurant so we were treated very well. Food was incredible. Fine dining with good size portions. Price of course reflected this however it's still cheaper than what you'd expect to pay for back in the UK. Presentation of food and favours was exceptional. Highly recommend and worth the drive for something different.

1 Thank Panisa
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
“The best restaurant in Sofia”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is my family's favorite place. We visit it often, for parties or just to enjoy the supreme cuisine.

2 Thank Stoil A
rjukan
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went with friend who knew her way around and she took us here. It's about 20 minutes outside of Sofia center but worth twice the time to get there. Pure ambiance and surrounded by a beautiful lake. The food is excellent and a incredible menu choice. We spent hours there enjoying both the food and the company and I can't remember when I had such a good meal

Visited October 2012