All reviewsfront lineeducational experienceeye openingsiege tourpersonal storiesbobsleigh trackbunkerdocumentarieshistoryyasminconflictinsightgraffitihostelscarsmattressesprofound
Reviewed October 10, 2015

Must place to stay on your Sarajevo visit if you want to learn about war and history! Make sure you take siege tour and tour to frontline, both of them are definitely worth the money! I can guarantee you'll learn a lot and get new aspects to your previous knowledge. Arijan and Yasmin are very helpful and can answer basically to all of your questions!

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2015

Wonderful place! Arijan, the son, is a very hospitable and easygoing guy, and his father Yasman was also very thoughtful. Yasman took my friend and I on a really wonderful tour of the frontline, detailing his experiences during the war, and outlining a series of fighting positions and bunkers which saw much blood and conflict. The hostel itself is very clean, and small; there are only enough spaces for about eight guests in total.

Do note that the hostel isn't smack in the middle of everything, as it's a little further up the road from the National LIbrary. That's only about an extra five minute walk though, and the neighborhood is quite safe at night.

Stayed: September 2015
Reviewed September 20, 2015 via mobile

This is one of the best hostel I stayed at. Arijan and his family made the all experience really worth. From Arijan dressing to the bathroom and wall decoration, all reminds you of the orrible times of the Siege of Sarajevo. The tours they offer are worth the money, as you can learn and understand more the history of this city. I can only say thank you for this amazing experience.

Stayed: September 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2015

This is an excellent place to stay for those with an interest in learning about the infamous Siege of Sarajevo, and more broadly, the Yugoslavian wars. I like the themed decor, with newspaper clippings everywhere that were both informative and interesting. The basic facilities that any hostel should have are also present: comfy beds, clean bathrooms, a locker, fridge, and a small kitchen. In fact, the lockers are the best I've seen, with power sockets inside the locker allowing you to charge your devices while the locker is locked. Location-wise, it was easy to get to the hostel from the main bus station using the No. 1 tram (detailed instructions were provided on the Hostelworld page). The hostel is also situated within a very short walk from the Baščaršija.

The material aspects aside, the highlight of my stay was the owner, Arijan's siege "tour"—it was comprehensive, intimate and very sobering. Having had some background regarding the civil war in Bosnia, I must say that Arijan did a really good job with his explanation of the context surrounding the Siege of Sarajevo. He covered every conceivable detail to the extent that I hardly had any questions to ask at the end of the "tour". The addition of his personal experiences and reflections was a very apt conclusion to the entire experience too and it got me thinking about issues such as identities and our dangerous inclination to categorise people into "us" and "them".

I also took a tour by Arijan's father to the Olympic bob-sled tracks, where he showed us the front-lines of both sides and shared with us some of his wartime stories. This was a wonderful complement to Arijan's siege "tour" as we could see for ourselves first-hand some of the places where the fighting occurred, as well as witness how vulnerable Sarajevo was from the Chetniks' gun positions. The documentary we watched on one of the evenings I was there about the UN peacekeepers in Sarajevo was also a nice complement to the above two tours.

Overall, I must say that the War Hostel is far from your typical hostel; it probably shouldn't be considered a hostel at all. Rather, it is a thoroughly immersive experience centered around its theme: the Siege of Sarajevo. For those of you with even a cursory interest in what happened in the Balkans in the 1990s, a stay here will definitely prove rewarding. And if you're a history buff, look no further; this is hands-down the best place in Sarajevo to learn about the Siege first-hand from a warm and hospitable family who survived the horrors of the war.

I actually changed the date of my arrival into Sarajevo just so that I could get a place at this hostel and it was the best decision I made in my month-long journey through the western Balkans!

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled solo
3  Thank Eugene A
Reviewed September 1, 2015 via mobile

A trip to Sarajevo would not be complete without staying at War Hostel. There is no better way to learn about and experience the history of Sarajevo, than to hear it first hand from a family who survived the seige. You can hang out in a reconstructed bunker, which hosts movie nights and parties, as well as check out a unique collection of relics better than any I saw in any museums. Everywhere you look there is something new to see and learn about.

The hospitality of Arijan and his family is second to none, nothing was too much trouble. The family also run the most fantastic tours/simulations, and have so many stories to share of life during the seige which will stay with me forever.

The hostel was very comfortable, clean and has everything you will need, and great vibes from like minded people, definitely great value for money.

If you are interested in learning about the history of Sarajevo and staying at the coolest hostel in the city, please look no further, this is truly the best place to stay.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled solo