“Grandmotherly owner”

Ranked #28 of 115 Sarajevo B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“Grandmotherly owner”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights with our tour group. We were on the 2nd floor where there were 4 rooms, 2 with ensuite bathrooms and 2 with separate baths right outside the door, Our bath outside the door was tiny and dark with hot water that sort of fluctuated, but the bedroom was adequate size with a fridge. There is no a/c in the room, but a small floor fan is provided. There is A/C in the breakfast room that is also on this floor, and if you leave your door open it does cool down. Breakfast is fine with the usual cold cuts, bread, yoghurt, but the owner also cooks eggs. While one of the original 1984 Winter Olympic stadiums is across the street, it's really not close to anything else; it's a good 15-20 minute walk to the old town, and not a pleasant walk as it's along busy roadways. But my favorite part was the owner, a grandmother who doesn't miss a beat of what's happening in the pension. She runs a tight ship but is a warm, welcoming woman. She led a short cooking class for our group with her sweet grandson translating, and we had a blast.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with 2 beds that required us to go into the hallway for a bathroom. Next time I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here as part of a tour group and enjoyed our stay. The rooms are a good size and very clean. There are 2 shared bathrooms for 4 rooms which has been fine. There is a breakfast that you can make yourself of breads, jams, eggs and cold meat. Laundry is 10 Euro a load and was returned within 24 hours. You need to remove your shoes at the door and are given slippers to wear in the house. Easy walk to the main street 10-15 min, located next to the Ice Skating Olympic Stadium.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bucharest
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I booked there because of the price / location factor but I'll never stay there again. The owners are very helpfull and nice.
The location is good and easy to find when you are comming by car. Breakfast was very basic but ok.
The rooms are very small, I hit with the foot the bedpost pretty well and with the head the tv support on the wall.
No safe parking in front of the building, I have to park in private garage for 6 euro/night.
Some times i didn't had hot water for second and I was in the shower....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here as part of an Intrepid tour group. The twin room was adequate (two small single beds and clean, with a TV and fridge). The shared bathrooms on the top floor were quite cramped, but there was plenty of hot water and towels are provided. I think the double rooms had their own ensuite.

The owners are good hearted, but it wasn't the most welcoming atmosphere at first (I couldn't avoid feeling like I was an intruder in my own accommodation). This could partly have been due to the language barrier. Breakfast is included, but basic; instant coffee or tea is available at other times for 50 cents a cup.

My main issue is with the location - 30 minutes walk or trolley bus from the bus station, and a good 20 minutes walk to the city centre, so not convenient for either. If you're on your own, it can be a bit creepy coming back at night.

Overall - not horrible, but it would not be my first choice if I hadn't been part of a tour.

(Explanation of rating - I was required to rate the "swimming pool" and "fitness centre" which as far as I know don't exist, as the system wouldn't allow me to post it otherwise.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in this pension in Aug 2012 as part of our Intrepid trip (group booking).

The pension is situated down an (at night) dark and dingy street, however it offers the traveller a cheap and relaxing room and a good nights sleep.

Others have already mentioned that the pipes gurgle at night, however it didn't stop me from sleeping. Our room was cleaned every day to a great standard and we felt as though the property was well cared for.

Unfortunately it seems things have changed since other reviews - food and coffee is limited to just breakfast. Outside these times, it's an extra charge (0.25 cents per cup of coffee), which is fair enough.

On arrival the owner appeared gruff and agitated, however warmed and became welcoming after a day. I guess we slowly became friends with her after settling in.

TIP: This is a muslim family and it is customary to take your shoes off on entry (there are cupboards to store your shoes in the foyer area).

Overall I thought the accommodation was very good and welcome others to try out this pension.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This popular guesthouse is an institution around Sarajevo. Well known by all and well connected. The owner treats you kindly and generously. Breakfast is included, as is coffee anytime. There is a computer for anyone to use in the breakfast room. The rooms are clean and comfortable with TV. They have laundry service as well. The guesthouse is in easy walking distance from all the sights of Sarajevo including a shopping mall with a Konzum store downstairs, where you can get anything to keep going in comfort. English; one gets by with lots of smiles. The owner will give you maps and guidelines to get around town. Were I to return to Sarajevo I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Karl S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and the gorgeous owner has tears in her eyes when we left, while that might be because we are deadly :) its a measure of the friendliness between the owners and their guests here. You basically are staying in their house and get treated like one of the family. It's a lovely experience of a genuine Bosnian hospitality. You get breakfast set up in your room each day along with an abundance of their homemade fruit juIce thrown in to boot. It's not the Marriott but it's clean and cosy and really cheap considering how near town your are. I'd agree about the comments that the approach street is a bit dark and dodgy looking at night. We were visiting an Irish female friend who lives in Sarajevo, in her two years experience of the city she said it's extremely safe for lone females walking alone in the city at night so it might looks dodgy but you are very safe there. The owners are very good with warning about local pitfalls, to be honest there are few...taxi's not running meters being the main one. We got stung big time coming from the train station but when we were leaving the dad called us a cab (no meter but cheaper than a taxi) and sorted the price before we left. Overall we loved the place and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple