“National museum was closed due to budget problems”

National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Book In Advance
More Info
$32.33*
and up
Sarajevo's History Mini-Bus Tour
Ranked #32 of 126 things to do in Sarajevo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Several Bosnians we spoke with were very critical that the government wasn't able to keep the national museum open for budgetary reasons. Luckily the history museum across the street was open and very interesting.

5  Thank Virginatraveler

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Closed indefinitely.

There is not really anywhere that you can discover the history of Sarajevo and Bosnia due to it all being shut down which is extremely sad and disappointing.

3  Thank Mark B
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The place was closed downwhen I wished to visit in october 2012. Seems it has been closed for some time and there is no sign of it opening anytime soon again. When a country cannot find funds to look after its heritage, you know the place has gone to the dogs...

2  Thank Cimmerianbloke
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was born in Bosnia, at very young age I left for USA. I ve returned only twice since I left the Balkan Peninsula. I had an opportunity to visit this eye-opening museum. I remember crying the whole time I was there, mostly because I had a moment that made me feel incredibly proud of where I come from. This museum is beyong rich. no words can describe the diversity of culture, religion and enthic backgrounds. Haggadah was priceless.... building after building, I was left undifferent and will forever cherrish my two hours inside the museum of Sarajevo. I hope it reopes soon. If you ever pass thru this incredibly rich city. You will be glad you stopped by the museum. Like Winston Churchill once said "Balkan produce more history than it can consume" this museum has that rich history preserved at its best.

2  Thank Goran R
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Due to economic problems in this country, this museum is closed until further notice. It's a real pity because it's a lovely museum inside. Hopefully in the future it will be open again.

2  Thank Cookie064