“Wonderful Hospitality”

Ranked #17 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
toronto
“Wonderful Hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

Sorry Hotel Michele to be so late with this.... my husband and I stayed here in March after travelling through Slovenia and Croatia. Came via Mostar. Very emotionally powerful visit. The staff at Hotel Michele made us feel safe and cared for from the start. They arranged for a young fellow by the name of Kenan to give us a tour of Sarajevo which was absolutely amazing... not the touristy side of things but the true Sarajevo. We will always be grateful for that.
We would suggest that you forgo a standard room which may prove to be a bit disappointing..upgrade and enjoy!! Perfect location for walking everywhere. Thankyou, hvala, Hotel Michele.Ivana,Madja,Emina,Haris,Merisha and Kenan. Best Wishes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bonnacherToronto
kenanious, Owner at Hotel Michele Sarajevo, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It is never late. You are more than welcome here.
Hotel Michele stuff
Majda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Michele for 2 nights in October.

From the moment we arrived we felt at home. After a tiring drive to Sarajevo, it was great to be greeted at the door, invited to sit down, and offered a nice cold beer.

The breakfasts were great. The staff do their best to accommodate your needs. They even found us a guide (her name was Summer) to take us on a 4 1/2 hour walking tour around Sarajevo. What a great experience to hear about the history, the emotion, and the healing of this beautiful city.

The only complaint, was the bathroom. We didn't have a proper shower, but instead a bath tub with a hand shower. But we'd stay here again hands down!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

After seeing this hotel get a great review in a travel magazine which quoted past guests such as Bono etc.. I thought this looked a great choice.

Its a good location for Sarajevo, in a quiet part of town ina a residential area that still provides good access to the main areas of town. Its small and very friendly which was a nice contrast to many international chains I have stayed with. The staff always go out of their way to help you and make you instantly feel welcome.

The breakfast was of good quality and a wide selection provided. The room was large and traditionally furnished as is the rest of the hotel (which gave it character).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank travellingvillain
Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in September. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the Catherdral in the heart of Sarajevo, it is on a quiet street. The walk into the city does involve a very steep hill which may not be suitable for everyone.

The common areas of the hotel are decorated in antiques and interesting furnishings, it is very individual and attractive. The hotel is small but the lobby is always manned, even at night there is a porter. The room was quite big and furnished in an ecletic style with pink walls and antique furniture. It may not be to everyones taste but we like it. The bathroom is a little basic and the hot water is limited to around 10 minutes, something we learned on the first morning when I couldn't shower after my wife. The breakfast choice was small but the food was delicious and the coffee and eggs were wonderful. You can also use the intenet for free. If you require laundry ask about prices first we had one load doing and were charged per item which came to a crazy €34 a price which was reduced kindly on my complaint.

For me the stand out thing about this hotel and what makes it very good is the staff, who I feel are up there with the Holiday Inn in Beijing as being the best I have met. They are very friendly but in my case went beyond what could be expected of them. I was pick pocketed the day I arrived in Sarajevo (watch your bags here), the staff then duley acted as interpreters at the police station, constantly harassed the police for my report and then collected it and posted it to me in England at their expense after I had returned from my holiday. I am extremely grateful and they are a classic example of the warmth and friendliness of the Bosnian people. I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is a great base from which to explore Sarajevo and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doofler
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is a bit of a miracle. It's nestled on a quiet residential street but is a mere five minute walk away from tourist central downtown Sarajevo. I've stayed in some extraordinarily fine hotels in my life, but I can truly say the room we had here was probably the largest single space I've ever stayed in. And more important than size is the elegance and character of the room. The staff was incredibly kind, and the hotel has many truly special architectural touches. Sarajevo is a truly interesting city and I can't imagine finding a better hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ericnyc
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

This is the most original and elegant hotel I have ever been in. I have stayed several times in various rooms for up to two weeks. Every room is a unique combination of antique furniture. Cable TV has numerous channels. Internet speed is excellent. It is located in a quiet part of the city yet walking distance from the center. Breakfast is fresh and rich. Staff is the best side of the story. .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Wien
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

I chose Hotel Michele for the following reasons:
- It gave the impression that it is right in the centre of the old town, btw. just a few "steps" away
- It clamed to be a unique, luxurious boutique hotel. This impression was backed up by having pictures of well-known actors and singers who had stayed in the hotel on the website
- It offered free wireless

Reality was as follows:
- The line with the "few steps" on the website is actually true. The hotel is not far away from the main shopping street / centre - but first you have to climb down (and then up again) not a few but actually a lot of steps (stairs) because the hotel is already in the hills of Sarajevo. I don't want to make it worse than it is - it's a short walk into to centre - but the fact that you have to climb down an up makes you think if you really need to go.
- The design: From the outside the hotel looks horrible. It looks like a typical private residence in Eastern Europe - using a lot of metal and somehow cheap looking floor materials. The furniture however, I found very tasteful. There are a lot of old things put together in a very tasteful way. The elevators are old but in a shabby way and so is the staircase. My room, which was actually an apartment, was huge (living room, bathroom, bedroom, balcony), with nice, old furniture. What I didn't like: the bathroom looked like a typical bathroom of a 3* hotel – Neither nice nor comfortable. One of the balcony doors did not close properly. There were no plugs close to the tables so that it was hard to plug my computer and work at the same time. The balcony was facing the courtyard of a school meaning it was very noisy throughout the day.
- There was wireless Internet in the room. But it was very slow - I don't know if the hotel is to blame for that though.

What I found very strange and did not like at all was the breakfast room, btw. the breakfast. It was like when you're at home with your parents. There were a couple of tables set but not enough so that everyone could have his/her own breakfast table. So people who didn't know each other had to sit together on a table which one could tell no one was really comfortable with. At least I can say from myself that I did not like it at all as I need my private space for breakfast. The waitress at breakfast was also not very friendly but that might have been because of her language skills.

Overall: The hotel is definitely unique with it's interior design. I would not go so far and call it luxurious – There are much more comfortable hotels. It just has a lot of nice old furniture. The rooms are huge – which is good. Nevertheless I would not stay here a 2nd time as the people working here are not friendly at all, it is noisy, the hotel is too far from the centre for my taste, I don't like the bathrooms and especially a no-go is the breakfast room/setting.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business