“Gracious, Wonderful People; Superb Location; Fantastic Stay”

Hotel Michele Sarajevo
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Toronto
“Gracious, Wonderful People; Superb Location; Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed here based on Trip Advisor Reviews. We planned a visit to Croatia, but ended up adding Sarajevo on to our visit at the beginning. We were SO GLAD we did. When asked about our trip by friends and family, Sarajevo stands out as the highlight.

We were not working from a travel guide book as there are not too many available. But tripadvisor was again very helpful, and we were so pleased with the location of this hotel, as well as all the help we received from everyone there. Our room was excellent and clean. We had two fantastic dinners when there - Inat Kuca and Kod Kibeta.

Again, I can't say enough about this wonderful city - it has a great, raw vibe. And we loved the fact that it was rare that we encountered another 'tourist'. We always felt safe (safer than in Italy in some respects). I would also highly recommend taking the train to Mostar. Beautiful. Keep an open mind though, as the train itself is not a eurostar - however, it just makes the experience so much more 'real'!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We cannot recommend Hotel Michele highly enough. We were advised by everyone in Croatia not to go to Bosnia, but we are so, so glad we did. We ended up staying much longer than we expected! Sarajevo is a beautiful, friendly, and very safe city and an absolute breath of fresh air after the crowds and exhorbitant prices of Croatia.

We could not believe the absolutely huge size of the apartments and the very grand furnishings. Felt like we were in heaven after some of the places we stayed in Slovenia and Croatia for the same price. This is excellent value for money. The service was very friendly and helpful and the location is ideal, a short walk from the central city on a quiet street. They also have free parking - a real perk in this city.

If you are planning a trip to Croatia, GO TO BOSNIA and especially Sarajevo - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
boston
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This hotel is quite special. From the time you arrive you are treated with first-class attention. We couldn't believe the quality we were getting for such a reasonable price. The room was lovely and a delicious breakfast is served in a charming dining room. The staff is delightful and very helpful. We felt so welcome during our stay that we too felt like the movie stars that have enjoyed the hotel over the years. Do ask for directions to a marvelous restaurant just several blocks down the hill and to the right. It serves sushi, but also has an eclectic menu. Fantastic cuisine at great prices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I was supposed to stay at the hotel for a wedding in early June for five nights. Due to family medical issues (it was a real emergency) I had to cancel 4-5 days out. Not only did staffers at the hotel refuse to give me a refund, citing an insane cancellation policy I'd never seen before, they told me they were 'doing me a favor' by only charging me 50 percent of the cost of the ENTIRE 5-Night stay instead of 100 percent. Then, a staffer proceeded to charge me TWICE and when I complained in an email, informed me that it was a 'mistake' that did not go through. Guess what: It did go through and now I am having to deal with this unfortunate. fraudulent situation through my credit card company. Moreover, it turns out others from the wedding party ended up staying in the room I booked (for which they ALSO paid!) meaning the hotel made 2x the amount on the room! The bride and groom, who live in Sarajevo, were trying to help me out and be closer to their visiting family members - by taking the room! So we BOTH got charged! As a journalist, I travel extensively overseas for my job and I have NEVER encountered a situation like this. All I can say is: think twice before giving them your credit card number. I was concerned enough about the apparent fraud in this situation - and the potential for future issues - that I actually canceled my card. Buyer Beware! - Jennifer B.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Intrepidtravelgirl1
Samobor
Reviewed June 11, 2010

The hotel is too expencive, the toilets are not good, and it need to be renovated,
we stay in luxory room.
The elevator did not work, we stay at top floor :((
-breakfest is good.
-Small hotel.
-210€ for 2 nights is too expencive for sarajevo, and quality is far from 210€

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d3NY
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed May 20, 2010

From the first moment of our arrival at the Hotel Michele, to the last step out the door, we were cared for as if we were a special part of the family.

We were warmly greeted by Majda as we exited the taxi from the airport. She and the cab driver brought our bags in to the lovely reception area. After checking in, our bags were taken to our room by the hotel staff, and Majda showed us around the hotel’s common areas and then escorted to our room, which was lovelier than the pictures of it on the hotel web site. Not only was the room very large and equipped with a king sized bed, there was a balcony with a great view and chairs.

After refreshing ourselves, we went down to the lobby to begin our tour of the city. Majda, again anticipating our every need, told us the very best way to the pedestrian mall in the center of the city and even had a suggestion for a place for dinner. She gave us a map of the city and also suggested a few things to see. Upon returning that evening, Majda again greeted us warmly and wanted to know of our experiences so far. She showed great interest in our activities and even had a couple of suggestions for our next day.

In the morning we came down to the first floor and found a wonderful breakfast buffet. Immediately one of the Hotel Staff brought fresh coffee to us and inquired would we like an omelet or something else. After a wonderful breakfast (included in the room price) we went off touring again for another day.

My wife and I found the hotel absolute wonderful and will go back again. Even though the bathroom was lovely, there was only one very minor item. We are both very tall people and the shower head in our room was very low, thus making it a little difficult to wash our hair. Other than that we found this hotel one of the most wonderful ones that we have ever visited.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We are so happy we picked Hotel Michele! Thank god for Tripadvisor! I was told by someone to stay at the Holiday Inn in Sarajevo "Stick with a brand name in a place like that" well what a bunch of crap. First off Bosnia and Sarajevo are safe! The people are helpful and friendly! To add to that the Holiday Inn was were I was going to stay.. but so happy I did not, it is a rundown hotel.

The staff at Hotel Michele was so nice and helpful. It really got a good feeling about this place when I emailed them questions. Quick response! So I booked via email at a really good rate for what we got.

A few days before our arrival I once again emailed the hotel, to confirm the booking and our airport pick up.. Once again a reply within the hour. WOW.. I'm impressed...

Once we landed at the airport, there was a very nice man with a sign with our names on it. His English was limited but that was not a problem. His car was nice and clean.. he drove us right to the Hotel at a set rate of 13 euro. As we drove up to the hotel a member of the staff came out to meet us at the car.

We quickly got all the paper work done, we were walked to our room. It was a very nice size. The beds were nice, the bathroom was big with its own hot water tank/heater. The room had an A/C & heater unit with remote control. So we had the room at a temp we wanted. There was a TV with lots of stations, many in English.

Breakfast was included in the rate, it was a nice spread, they would also make an omelet to order.

The location is good a quick walk to the old town. We were able to get around on foot. The hotel is in a neighborhood so there is not much right around the hotel. There is a few small stores for drinks and food around. The walk to the old town is easy and quick. We found a very good cafe' called "Michele" downtown.. come to find out Cafe' Michele is also owned by the same family. A good place for a drink or a pizza. Pizza was very good.

We had some very nice chats with the staff of the hotel.. got to hear some personal stories about life during the war.. Really made you think about how far they have come in a little time.

The hotel arranged a day trip to Monstar (a must see). We got a taxi for the day the same man who picked us up at the airport, Mr. Mustafa. This guy is the best, he drove us the 2.5 hours to Monstar then walked with us around the town, like a tour guide. Again very limited English but we started are own language with hand jesters. It was a set rate for the day, really not a bad price at all.

It is clear that the owners and staff are proud of this hotel. If you are going to Sarajevo this is the place to stay... This is also the place were many US celebrities stay..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends