“very good location”
Review of Astra Hotel

Astra Hotel
Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Good value for money back then when I was there, especially if location is important for you. Very kind staff. Breakfast also good. I stayed there for 5 nights being there for business and I very much liked the proximity of all places I had to visit. Bascarsija/caffe area is starting just outside of the hotel. The room was spacious enough, clean and light, internet working good. It decent, normal price hotel. If you are there on weekends or sometimes in the evening there was a street noise from people shouting and laughing until late in the evening, as hotel windows are not that thick I guess.

Room Tip: I know that my room on the first floor was quite fine.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank LMG12

Reviewed September 30, 2011

The Europe was fully booked when we unexpectedly decided to take an excurtion from the Dalmation Coast for 3 days - the Europe recommended the Astra. No wonder - it has the same owners. The reception is very small and I thought it quite down market for what we had expected. However we were very pleasantly surprised - it is a small intimate hotel, very clean, fairly recently "renovated" and although the rooms are small, quite adequate for the couple of days we were there. What really made our stay was the lovely staff - so friendly and helpfull. We are accostomed to 4 or 5 stars, but I would put this in the Boutique Catagory. My one complaint is the inabilaty to lower the airconditioner for sleeping. At the time we were there I thought it very good value for money in an excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JanelleandGraham
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Currently in my Astra room, a portable airconditioner is making a lot of noise. I have to switch it off when I go to bed. Due to its central location (a benefit) there is street noise until late at night (bars), and the sound isolation is less than ideal. There is an old-fashioned TV, no flatscreen, no digital TV. De lighting is ugly, like other travellers reported.

The good news is that the staff is friendly and helpful, and internet is OK.

I chose this hotel after a couple of budget venues earlier in my holiday (some of them excellent) to have at last some luxury. I did not notice the noise (airconditioner, street noise) soon enough ...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The location of the Astra cannot be beat - so close to all the of the major attractions in the old town center of Sarajevo.
I was booked into a private double at the City Center Hostel down the street, and just by chance walked in to check rates here. For just $11 more each, my friend and I got to stay in a very solid hotel.
It is not the four seasons, but it is a pretty nice place with very helpful staff.
If you just want a solid, comfortable place to say in the best location in Sarajevo, this is the place for you.
We woke up too late for breakfast, but that was included to, pushing it over the top into the good value category.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Previous reviews were expecting the four seasons.....listen....this is a well-run hotel, in a fantastic location....there reaslly isn;t a better location...Holiday Inn is FAR AWAY.......Radon Plaza is FARTHER AWAY and also next to a bombed out retirement home....all other old town options are Hostels......this hotel is right next to the Hotel Europe....which is double....In June 2009, the rate was about 120KM, or 60 Euro....not bad....the room I had was large, no views, high windows....loud music downstairs at all hours...but one quick closing of the window and you are fine....TV had no English...but as one said before...who needs it....Breakfast is basic.....but its included so who cares......Sarajevo is a great city, great value, amazing history, sad history, great people - and this hotel is well worth it....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank mtlv
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Having been dissafisfied with all my previous Sarajevo hotels I was very pleased with the Astra. My room was large and clean, the wireless internet worked very well and the location is absolutely perfect; 5 minutes walk to my office and right in the heart of town. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast is typically Balkan and the TV package doesn't offer much entertainment (its the standard Bosnian satellite service with only CNN in English). However why watch TV when you have the old town on your doorstep? I will happily stay in the Astra again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Gerry96
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I travel to Sarajevo once a month for work and am very familiar with the hotel options. This hotel was probably really cool when it first opened (years ago) but is now well past its prime. Like most hotels in Sarajevo it has not been maintained, and the rooms are not properly and thoroughly cleaned in between guests. A lot of smoking has gone on in the rooms and they reek of tobacco. There are some weird curtains hanging over the beds which look cool on the site but really are just catchers for dust, cobwebs and old smoke. The location is excellent, and the breakfast is ok by Sarajevo standards (although 1/2 of the fruit was old and I opened a rotten kiwi on my most recent stay). We also noticed some weird sticky spots on clothing we left out overnight; I think we had mice or some other pests sharing the room with us. They have one huge apartment on the fourth floor which was pretty cool in its day, with huge tilted windows and incredible views. However, the smoke and the pests were enough to ensure that we will never stay there again. Their other, newer hotel - Astra Garni is nicer; and the new Hecco Deluxe is MUCH nicer (if you don't have a car). If you stay at Astra, you can park at Astra Garni, 1 block away.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lyra-Belaqua