“Don't Bother - Go to Zeljo”
Review of Mrkva

Mrkva
Ranked #29 of 395 Restaurants in Sarajevo
Cuisines: Barbecue, Eastern European, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Description: Traditional Sarajevo grill with 50 years of tradition. Welcome!
Waterloo, Canada
“Don't Bother - Go to Zeljo”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were told that Mrkva is the second best cevapi place in Sarajevo, so we decided to check it out. I wish we hadn't, as the cevapi are nowhere near as good as at Zeljo. They had a weird smell and tangy taste that cevapi shouldn't have. It could have been the type of meat used - not sure.
That being said, the service was very good and efficient. Skip Mrkva and go to Zeljo instead - you won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Travel_Bug81

• Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sarajevo, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“something local that keep global order, to be the best”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Completely meat menu whom I remember as a child at late seventies, enriched different salads and very skillfully designed salad-meat combinations. House delivery still do not have minimum order. Just eat it! (still better than MC Donald's).

• Visited July 2013
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Some of the BEST fast food in Sarajevo”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Mrkva consistently offers the best cevapi, hamburgers and fries i town. They now have four locations and each serves excellent food.

Don't be fooled by the "popular" cevap restaurants, particlulary in the center. Mrkva's quality and value are better!

• Visited June 2013
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Gone downhill in recent months”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

To start - this is the branch of Mrkva in the district of town called Kovacici/Grbavica, and not the 'most famous' one in the Old Town (I believe there are 4 throughout Sarajevo). Also, I have been a semi-regular (5-10 visits per year) customer of Mrkva for the past 6 years.
First of all, approximately half of the items on the menu were not available, including the sweetbreads (brizla) that we went especially to eat. We ordered sausages (sudzukice), cevapi and chicken and mixed vegetable skewered kebab, along with a portion of kajmak.

I can honestly say that the cevapi were the worst I have eaten from a charcoal-fired grill. They tasted as if they had been cooked the day before, and reheated in the microwave. They were totally dry on the outside, and had a hardened plasticky surface. The chicken and veg was overpriced, but nice, and the sudzukice were acceptable. The portion of kajmak was tiny (nowhere near enough for 10 pieces of cevapi, and about a third of the amount I am used to getting as a portion).

Also, the waiter, after asking us what we wanted to drink and us saying tap water, never brought any drinks.

This was probably my sixth or seventh visit this year, and each has been slightly disappointing, until this. I doubt I'll be returning to Mrkva for a while, unless some of my friends convince me that it has improved considerably.

• Visited May 2013
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I'm just now in "Mrkva", the best place ever for eating. Every time when we come in Sarajevo we eat in Mrkva. We try it another places, but Mrkva is just Mrkva only one the best.
Best regards from Montenegrian people.

• Visited May 2013