“excellent stay in Sarajevo's city center”

Guest house Markale
Ranked #23 of 114 Sarajevo B&B and Inns
Banska Stiavnica, Slovakia
“excellent stay in Sarajevo's city center”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

we stayed in this hostel only one night, but it was one of the best places in Sarajevo so far. Rooms are spacious and clean. there is a big shared kitchen which is very good equipped. bathrooms are shared (there are two bathrooms on the floor), but they are new and clean. As a couple we had double bedroom and our friends had a bigger room with more beds. Both excellent.
Location is perfect, because everything you want to see in the city center is walking distance. Owner is very nice and helpful with everything you need.
Hostel does not have a parking place, but just few meters away there is parking space (for 12EUR/day) where you can leave your car safely.
We loved it and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived Sarajevo with a late flight, and was picked up at the airport by the hostel staff. Since the main hostel was full, I was relocated to their second location, which is perhaps even more central than their main building. Got a huge room with a large balcony across the hall, perfect for a sunny breakfast! Bakery and grocery store right outside the door.

Best of all, however, was the staff. They organize trips themselves, and I spent a great day with Kenan, who showed me around town at a comfortable pace, all the time telling interesting and informative stories from the war-time and his own youth in Sarajevo during the 90's.

Recommend this hostel for anyone!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a nice stay in Sarajevo at Guest house Markale. They were very helpful and gave us tips about the attractions of the city. There is a nearby parking garage where you can park your car for 24 KM for 24 hours. The guesthouse is very central, within walking distance to the city center. I'd recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alp T
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a great place but be careful when you pay. I had paid a deposit to stay here and when I arrived they made me pay this deposit again and wouldn't acknolwedge the 10% id paid. They don't seem to understand the deposit rules lf advertising this place on hostelworld and hostelbookers.

1 Thank organisedchaos
JasonBir, Guest Relations Manager at Guest house Markale, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
At first place I would like to thank you for being our guest. I am sorry that the issue with deposit perhaps spoiled your stay with us. Please note that most of the reviews about us and our property show that people are extremely happy with our service. We highly respect our clients and we never overcharge them. This approach positioned us in a very short time among the best reviewed places in Sarajevo.

Now, let me remind you about the facts. You booked for two nights using a booking site. And, the practice is that you pay deposit for both nights (10% of the total amount). Please note that when you booked the room, you were informed by the booking site that the deposit is non-refundable. What you perhaps do not know is that this deposit stays with the booking site as the fee charged for their service, so we do not receive this money.

So, when you arrived, you informed us that you will stay just one night. We accepted your change of plan and decided not to charge you for the second night (although , by the cancellation policy you were supposed to pay both nights). But, I also informed you that we cannot do anything about the deposit for the second night, simply because it was non-refundable and kept by the booking site.

I suppose the whole thing with this deposit influenced your overall review, but I hope after you read this you will realize that we did not overcharge you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

When we arrived at Markale, we were kindly greeted and the owner went out of his way to help us find a good parking spot in a city where it feels like winning the lottery when you finally do. On our way to moving our car he gave us a little tour of the surrounding area and informed us about the historical significance.

The space was beautiful, clean and felt very homey. There's a great kitchen, a big fridge and a washing machine you can use for a minor charge. We really enjoyed our stay in Sarajevo and felt like we were leaving a friend behind when we departed after 4 days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

the group area was amazing, lots of space and seating. Right in between the old and New town, so close to everything!! :D really enjoyed my stay! The only down side was sometimes the traffic is very loud, due to the heat the windows were open and the trams and boy racers would be going till late at night! Good vibes and staff.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The gentle owner of this magnificent guesthouse (Mr.Adnan) and his white-hearted assistant (Miss Haya) reminded me with William Shakespeare's famous wisdom: "SWORD KILLS ONCE, WHILE KINDNESS MANY TIMES!" Ohh, what could I say? I have just checked out before a couple of hours, and I'm really bewildered how to express my gratitude and feelings since English is not my native language I'm Arabic Poet by the way :) Anyway I highly recommend this respectful, cute, well-decorated place for every single tourist in Sarajevo.

1 Thank ALMutanabbi