“Central location, nice stay”

Guest house Markale
Ranked #25 of 124 Sarajevo B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a nice stay in Sarajevo at Guest house Markale. They were very helpful and gave us tips about the attractions of the city. There is a nearby parking garage where you can park your car for 24 KM for 24 hours. The guesthouse is very central, within walking distance to the city center. I'd recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alp T
There are newer reviews for Guest house Markale

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a great place but be careful when you pay. I had paid a deposit to stay here and when I arrived they made me pay this deposit again and wouldn't acknolwedge the 10% id paid. They don't seem to understand the deposit rules lf advertising this place on hostelworld and hostelbookers.

1  Thank organisedchaos
JasonBir, Guest Relations Manager at Guest house Markale, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

At first place I would like to thank you for being our guest. I am sorry that the issue with deposit perhaps spoiled your stay with us. Please note that most of the reviews about us and our property show that people are extremely happy with our service. We highly respect our clients and we never overcharge them. This approach positioned us in a very short time among the best reviewed places in Sarajevo.

Now, let me remind you about the facts. You booked for two nights using a booking site. And, the practice is that you pay deposit for both nights (10% of the total amount). Please note that when you booked the room, you were informed by the booking site that the deposit is non-refundable. What you perhaps do not know is that this deposit stays with the booking site as the fee charged for their service, so we do not receive this money.

So, when you arrived, you informed us that you will stay just one night. We accepted your change of plan and decided not to charge you for the second night (although , by the cancellation policy you were supposed to pay both nights). But, I also informed you that we cannot do anything about the deposit for the second night, simply because it was non-refundable and kept by the booking site.

I suppose the whole thing with this deposit influenced your overall review, but I hope after you read this you will realize that we did not overcharge you.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

When we arrived at Markale, we were kindly greeted and the owner went out of his way to help us find a good parking spot in a city where it feels like winning the lottery when you finally do. On our way to moving our car he gave us a little tour of the surrounding area and informed us about the historical significance.

The space was beautiful, clean and felt very homey. There's a great kitchen, a big fridge and a washing machine you can use for a minor charge. We really enjoyed our stay in Sarajevo and felt like we were leaving a friend behind when we departed after 4 days.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

the group area was amazing, lots of space and seating. Right in between the old and New town, so close to everything!! :D really enjoyed my stay! The only down side was sometimes the traffic is very loud, due to the heat the windows were open and the trams and boy racers would be going till late at night! Good vibes and staff.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The gentle owner of this magnificent guesthouse (Mr.Adnan) and his white-hearted assistant (Miss Haya) reminded me with William Shakespeare's famous wisdom: "SWORD KILLS ONCE, WHILE KINDNESS MANY TIMES!" Ohh, what could I say? I have just checked out before a couple of hours, and I'm really bewildered how to express my gratitude and feelings since English is not my native language I'm Arabic Poet by the way :) Anyway I highly recommend this respectful, cute, well-decorated place for every single tourist in Sarajevo.

1  Thank ALMutanabbi
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is too good to be true ! Excellent location , great hosts , nice rooms and inexpensive ! We were also given the opportunity to meet other guests from different countries , different background and different age groups ( from 21 to 78 ) .
The kitchen is well equipped and we used it for breakfast ! We booked an en suite room and we found it to be quiet , spacious and very clean !
Overall it was an excellent bargain and a good opportunity to meet great people !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank belleretraite
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had a fantastic stay at Markale. It is located in the middle of the city and within walking distance to the old town and different sights. The hostel is clean and comfortable, with excellent kitchen facilities and friendly owners who are willing to sit down and chat. A tour of the city was arranged with Kenan and he shared details about life in Sarajevo and was willing to answer any questions that we had. I would highly recommend this hostel and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: I stayed facing the main street and although it was noisy with the window open, it was comfortable a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends