“Friendly and well located hostel”

Guest house Markale
Ranked #25 of 124 Sarajevo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

The owner Adnan makes this place so good. Before you arrive you can get fast replies by email to any questions you have. On arrival you are greeter and the rooms are clean and cosy. A quiet hostel just minutes walk from Old Town, public transport and cheap parking. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for Guest house Markale

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I first stayed in Markale Guesthouse in August 2012, originally planning on spending four nights - and ended up staying nine. Then I decided to return seven months later, staying another six nights. This should begin to tell you something about this wonderful guesthouse. Not only is it clean, comfortable, and very convenient (being within easy walking distance of almost everything you might want to see in Sarajevo), it is run by perhaps the two warmest, most welcoming Sarajevans you could imagine. During both my stays I was made to feel like not simply a paying guest, but a friend. They bent over backwards to make me feel at home and to introduce me to their fascinating city and country. I know I will return to Sarajevo - and in large part this will be due to the hospitality I experienced at the Markale Guesthouse.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank James K
Reviewed April 2, 2013

After "budget" traveling in many cities over many years, I have to say Markale is probably the cleanest, most well-run, and most hospitable guest house that I have experienced in any country. I wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It is often so that life keeps bringing us back to cities closest to our hearts. Of all the ex-Yugoslavian capitals, Sarajevo is the one that keeps impressing me every time I return. Last summer, 2012, we decided to spend an extended weekend there. We didnt expect finding a place to stay being close to mission impossible in the Bajram time. Hostel Markale in the city center, next to Markale market gave us more than we hoped for. Clean and airy rooms, hot water and clean bathrooms, kitchen with all its needed appliances... On top of it, on Bajram morning we were pleasantly surprised with a box of freshly made baklava with a lovely inscription from the owner.
Highly recommended to all who appreciate peace, having a car in a safe parking and all the comfort of a newly furnished hostel. Big thanks to Adnan and greetings from Slovenia.
Branka S.S.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

As a young women in late 20s from America, I was pretty nervous about traveling to Sarajevo alone and I wasn't sure what to expect of this place. But to a great surprise I had an absolutely wonderful stay here. From the very beginning the owners and managers we so hospitable and welcoming.

Since they arrange airport pick-up and drop-off for an extra low price, the owner picked me up, told me about Sarajevo on our drive, and welcomed me with some coffee upon arrival to guest house, which was a lovely and unexpected start to my vacation. After I settled in, he was kind enough to give me maps of the city and draw me one too since I had questions about specific places. And throughout the entire trip he checked up once a day to see if I needed anything. Very, very kind of him.

The rooms themselves are great. It's nothing fancy, but they're clean, well-lit, clean linen, proper heating (I went in December), so in my books it's perfect for vacation. The kitchen and common area are also wonderful. There are tea bags, coffee, and snacks on the house, all leading to a very warm cozy place. It's also a very functional space since there's a fridge, microwave, stove- a full kitchen so one could go shopping at the market downstairs and cook. This is ideal if one were to start for a longer period of time. :)

I would stay here again when I visit and I def recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at Guest House Markale for 3 nights during a 2 week trip through the Balkans. We really enjoyed our stay in Sarajevo and would recommend a visit to anyone, but we do wonder whether our stay was made even better due to the reception and hospitality we received at Markale. Samir and Adnan provided much welcome advise and tips and where to go and what to do whilst in Sarajevo as well as a trip further afield to Mostar. They were a delight to deal with and would recommend a stay here and were in fact sorry to leave.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This guest house could not be better located. It is a great value at a low price. It is right in the Old Town of Sarajevo, on a tram line and close to a grocery store and a green market. Brothers Adnan and Samir have very recently remodeled the family home in which they grew up into great lodging. Although the rooms are configured similar to hostel rooms with multiple beds, each person or couple is assigned their own private room. Everything is immaculately clean. There is a nice common room with an excellently equipped kitchen for guests' use, with free WiFi in the common room. We booked a shared bath room and never had to wait to use one of the shared baths. Best of all was the hospitality of our hosts Adnan and Samir. They spent the better part of an evening at the guest house one night, and brought some local desserts for us to try, and poured tasted of local liquors. They provide excellent instruction on how to reach the guest house, tailored to however you are arriving in town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple