“Not a four star hotel.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Bristol Sarajevo

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Bristol Sarajevo
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Sarajevo
Moscow, Russia
“Not a four star hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

I went to Sarajevo for my friend’s wedding ceremony and I booked four nights at this piece of art of hospitality after reading positive reviews here. The good things about the hotel: nice sauna and swimming pool area, free drinks in the room’s minibar (water, juices and coke), pretty helpful and nice personal (only while are you staying) and of course laundry service, my shirt was ironed so perfectly that it was pity to ware it again and I guess that is all.

I arrived late evening and were looking for the place to have a drink with friend of mine whom I haven’t seen for more than five years but all bars and restaurants do work only until 11PM and there is no place to sit except the lobby which looks on the picture much nicer than in real. The sofas and armchairs are currached with leather of young leatherette which looks and feels very cheap.

Rooms are small; bathrooms are very small and very badly planned to take a bathrobe that hangs behind the bathroom door for example you need to step inside the bathroom then into shower then you have to close the door then take a bathrobe then back to the shower then open the door and finally step outside the bathroom to put it on as there are not enough space inside. The bathroom door hits the wash sink that has marks of the door on it but be careful if you push it harder it can destroy toilet bowl that is straight behind it.

Overall design of the hotel can be classified as having no design at all, mixture of everything everywhere from Arabic ornaments in the lobby to fake white crocodile leather on the headboard and the chairs in the room.

Special room facility was the lights outside the window. The hotel is nicely highlighted at the night as you can see from main screen of their internet site. These lights are on through the night making a beautiful appearance at the cost of poor sleep of hotel’s guests. Curtains are very thin therefore the lights shine directly to the face while you are lie in the bed. In my rooms there were huge and oily hand print on the door of the closet which was nicely co-reflecting and beautify shining from the this direct light outside my window, by the way except for that and the dust ball on the carpet beneath the windows rooms are pretty clean.

Breakfast is ok, nothing special only be careful with cafe that has an outside terrace especially desserts as friend of mine got a food poisoning on the second day of stay.

Bristol is a proud member of worldwide “trust you client” group therefore as their BIG brothers they do a full cost preauthorization plus some % just in case you run away or break something valuable. I do travel a lot and this is normal practice now but other hotels at least release the preauthorized sum after 2-3 business days here it has been 15 days now and amount is still blocked on the card. On my E-mail request to unblock preauthorized sum they ask me to contact my own bank for that, which is funny, when I tried to explain that preauthorization can only be released by their bank on their request they just stopped replying which is nice.

Another thing is that hotel has only one-way exchange service and if you prepay everything in cash even in Euro or Dollars and don’t break or still anything you will get remaining amount in KM on the check-out. That would’ve been good in my case when on check-in I was mistakenly charged more and were checking-out at 5AM when no banks are working yet and Coverable Mark is only a currency name and not its nature, so it is better to get rid of it while you are in Bosnia.

Location of Bristol is not good but nice as there are a river straight outside the hotel which stinks a little bit but don’t worry it stinks mostly at night. Seriously speaking if you are in Sarajevo for its beauty and sightseeing it is better to choose a hotel in the old town as there at least three hotels to choose from.

To me Bristol is definitely is not a four star hotel only an imitation that may lead to a disappointment during your stay in a beautiful city of Sarajevo, therefore I would not recommend it.

Oh yes, almost missed the traditional note about the Bristol! Be careful the hotel is extremely dry even if you drink outside in the city they won’t let you in until you sober up! :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AntonVd
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear AntonVd,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experiences of your recent stay at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo.

I am very sorry to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations and you left with negative impressions of the hotel. Thank you for the comments regarding the opening times of our restaurants, we do monitor the requests very carefully throughout the hotel and should there be a demand for extended hours, rest assured actions will be taken. Listening to the needs of our clients is very important to us, for example, we have amended the opening hours of our wellness area as guests have raised the wish to work out earlier, and therefore the opening time has been changed to 06:00 on weekdays.
Your remarks related to the interior design, please note that the hotel has been designed by a renowned fresh designer who has over the past years worked on multiple projects in Europe for multiple Luxury Hotel companies. We have received quiet large amounts of compliments and praise for the design of the interior since the opening, but unfortunately it is impossible to match everybody’s taste.
Your observation relating to the outside LED lights which hindered you from a good night sleep have been investigated. Even if the lights could be noticed inside the room, each room offers black out curtains that enable guest to darken the rooms completely even during daylight. The blackout curtain can be clearly seen on the left hand side of the room picture taken by you.
As for the Food and beverage comments, our breakfast buffet, which not only offers a large choice of hot and cold international products but also serves egg dishes prepared by one of our Chefs a la minute. In addition, our buffet boasts homemade pastries such as croissants, muffins and Danish pastries. Furthermore, Hotel Bristol Sarajevo is one of the only establishments in BiH that has implemented HACCP standards and follows strictly all sanitary regulations which ensure only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are being used throughout the hotel. Café Bristol, a café shop serving beverages and daily prepared cakes and desserts, cannot have been the source of your friends alleged food poisening.
In reference to the issues with your blocked credit card, once the hotel has been notified, my colleagues have contacted the bank immediately by telephone and in writing requesting the blocked amount to be released. It was then the local bank asking the client to contact the issuing bank. This message was passed onto you without any delay. As this is truly an unusual procedure, we have requested clarification from the local branch in order to avoid such incidents in the future. Regarding the exchange of foreign currency, BiH legislation does not allow Hotels to exchange money at all. Hotels are only allowed to accept payments for accommodation in foreign currencies. Only banks and exchange offices are allowed to covert International currencies into BAM and the other way around.
Lastly, despite Hotel Bristol Sarajevo not serving alcoholic beverages throughout the property, we do not discriminate people that like to have a beverage outside the hotel. Should a client wish to consume alcoholic beverages in the privacy of his/her guest room, the hotel will have no issue at all with this. Therefore the comment made by you that hotel residents that are intoxicated will not be allowed into the hotel, are false.
AntonVd, despite your negative comments I do hope you have enjoyed the wedding ceremony, the reunion with friend and your time in Sarajevo.

Kai Behrens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Rooms are too small but except this The best hotel in sarajevo to stay. Its staff knows professional service. Breakast is comparatively better than other european hotels. I recommend Everyone looking for a good stay.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Rahatadam
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Rahatadam,

thank you very much for taking your time sharing your experiences of your recent visit to our property. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay out our hotel. Referring to your note concerning room sizes, our Superior Rooms feature a modern and elegant design with a room size of 20 sqm. For only €20.00 per day additional you can upgrade yourself to our Deluxe Rooms to give you not only extra space but also a KING size bed as well as a spacious bathroom.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon back to Sarajevo and Hotel Bristol!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is definitely luxury category. The newly renovated Bristol hotel, which opened only a few months before our visit, is all you can wish for. We stayed in one of the suites and it had all the mod cons that you need. Even the toilet flushes automatically! The bathroom has a corner jacuzzi, but if you want more pampering, don't miss the spa with the fairly large pool and sauna and steam room. There is also a gym but we didn't try it.
The centre is about 10 mins in a taxi and it costs next to nothing so even though the hotel is not right in the centre, it doesn't matter. The staff was extremely helpful in every way, from booking a taxi to recommending restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wwwTraveller123
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear wwwTravler123,

Thank you very much for sharing the experiences of your recent stay at our property. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed the time in Sarajevo. Rest assured we will pass your compliments to the staff members involved.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our property soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Traveling for months with my wife last destination was my home country Bosnia and staying at this hotel i almost felt i was not home as the service and quality was amazing, i asked how many stars the hotel was and i was told 4.5 not sure where the other half went but it should be there and then some, from the reception to my room i felt like royalty, the rooms were state of the art, clean, large bathroom, free mini bar refills (no alcohol which was fine my me i dont drink any way).
Now the best part swimming pool/finish sauna/turkish sauna (hammam) all for the guests of the hotel, Gym, showers,lockers, and staff to show and help you around.
Food was exceptional from breakfast which was included in our price to lunch and dinner was superb from waiter staff to quality of the food, oh if you want traditional bosnian coffee they have a cafe for that too, which appealed to me very much,
Also undercover and secure parking is free of charge.

Truly an amazing hotel that should be 5 Star + and being a place of that quality in my home country makes me very proud.

PS: if you are fasting (which i was) they provide Iftar every night but make sure you book in advance as it gets boked out quickly and for good reason too.Alhamdulillah.

Room Tip: dont be afraid to ask staff anything they were so helpful
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank AlenB
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear AlenB,

Thank you very much for taking your time sharing your experiences regarding your recent stay at our property. I am delighted to learn that you and your wife have enjoyed your time with us. I am even more honored that we were able to achieve a level of service that make you proud of you home country.

I do sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sarajevo.

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night only but the experience was excellent. The food was great, staff very friendly and professional, and the apartment we stayed in was state of the art. Just loved it! Everything, to the smallest detail, is carefully picked and placed to maximize your comfort (including Bvlgary soaps, shampoos, body lotions etc.). Breakfast was served in a lovely ambient by very professional waiters and offered such a variety of delicious foods. Definitely recommend the place to everyone loving luxury.

Room Tip: take the suite if you can afford
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnesaDi
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear AnesaDi,

thank you very much for taking your time sharing your experiences. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property. The entire Hotel Bristol Sarajevo team is looking forward to welcoming you back to Sarajevo!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Enjoyed my stay at this modern hotel. Nice pool, almost big enough for laps. A little bit of a hike to town, but staff is very friendly and very helpful. small warning, the do not disturb system is electronic, so don't make the same mistake i did and leave it on or the housekeeping team won't be able to enter your room

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bristolsarajevo, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Sarajevo, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear wag_11_11,

thank you very much for taking your time submitting the comments regarding your most recent visit to Sarajevo. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our property. In reference with your comments regarding the 2 km distance to town, I am pleased to inform you that we are in the final stages of launching a complimentary shuttle service to "Old Town".

Dear wag_11_11, I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to Sarajevo soon.

Belgrade
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

So I'm currently at the hotel and couldn't wait to review them again, which I usally do after I get home.
Last time I was here I wrote a review which had few points of improvement for the hotel, which they kindly replied to and promised to improve. I honestly didn't think they would do anything about it, but here I am and I'm very pleasently surprised. They have actually taken care of everything...that is what I call customer care and listening to the guests, bravo!
Now even the SPA center has opened so the stay is even more pleasant. The staff is great just as last time, and even though I'm a freak to details I have nothing negative to say.
I know where I will stay every time when visting Sarajevo.... :)
P.S. As I have to complain about something ;) I would say that the water could be 2-3 degrees warmer in the pool. :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank moncic
Dear moncic,

once again thank you very much for your great comments! It is always the biggest compliment if guests turn into regular guests. As you mentioned, we are striving to achieve customer service at the highest level and I am very glad to hear that you experience it. Regarding your comment of the water temperature of the swimming pool, please note that the pool is set at 25C and is being monitored by the staff trice a day. As the room temperature of the wellness needs to be around 3C above the water temperature to avoid condensation, I am sure you agree that a room temperature around 30C would be rather unpleasant.

Dear moncic, we are looking forward welcoming you back to Sarajevo soon!