“Clean, friendly, cheap and central” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Old Town
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Sarajevo
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, friendly, cheap and central”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

Most importantly: this hotel was impeccably clean, central and the staff went above and beyond to help me. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to change accommodation while I was in Sarajevo. I looked online for central hotels with reasonable prices, and went for a very late-night walk to stop in each and inquire about availabilities. This was the second one I stopped into. The man who was working the night shift gladly offered me a room, took my name and made sure everything was set up for the next day. He even offered to let me move in on the spot (even though my stay would commence the following day). He was extraordinarily helpful and friendly, which is more than I can say about many of the other locals I dealt with during my trip.

I moved in the following day, no problem. The room was big enough, and most importantly it was spotless. No dust, dirt, bugs or anything. I've had some bad experiences at other hotels in that area of the world, so this was a relief. The decor was simple but modern (I feel that the deep red carpets come across as a bit dated and 'Eastern Bloc' in the photos, but the rooms are nice and everything feels new). The shower was top notch: clean, hot, high water pressure... The TV had a selection of English-language channels, but that didn't really matter to me.

When I was there, it was extremely hot. The room was comfortable (with the window open), but the air conditioner was out of order. I found out that the rooms had just been fitted with these machines, and that some were still not set up completely. The lady at reception gladly moved me to a new room (where the air-con still didn't work), and moved me again without any problems. There was absolutely no attitude, and she was completely happy to oblige. Ordinarily, when I say the staff was friendly and helpful, one or two staff-members are exceptions. Not so, here. Every single person at the hotel was very outgoing and pleasant, and they all spoke English very well. They were happy to map out site-seeing itineraries, arrange transportation, call sites to find out about opening hours, etc., and make recommendations for things to see and do and places to eat.

The location was top-notch. Situated in the centre of Baščaršija, the hotel is surrounded by cafes and small shops around the market. It takes less than a minute to walk from the hotel to the Latin Bridge, making it relatively convenient to get to by public transportation, and easy to find by taxi even if with a driver who has no English, French or German.

Breakfast was suitable, but nothing spectacular. It was simple and it did the job, but don't expect a 5-star feast.

For the price I paid (45 euros per night), this hotel offered excellent value and comfort. I would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting Sarajevo on the same budget as me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank PickySeeksNotPicky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

New hotel in downtown Sarajevo, in the middle of the Bascarsija (old town). Could not have better location. Sparkling new and comfortable rooms with TVs and really good bathrooms. Price was something between 50-60e (single), not dirt cheap, but good value when thinking about quality and location. Staff parked my car in a garage for night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends