“Simple Services But Great Location & Price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hollywood Hotel Sarajevo

Hollywood Hotel Sarajevo
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Sarajevo
“Simple Services But Great Location & Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is rated 4stars by local authirity but I would give it 2 only. The breakfast food is below average carpet is dirty no amenites (no shampoo or soap just towels) in bath. There is a noisy pump working all night. Big tourist groups are either checking in or out everyday. parking is free and lots of cafes and bars around. Small mall, supermarket and pharmicy are at walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side have better view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Decently priced but was like a train station. Groups coming and going. Very noisy. Lobby and caffe by reception was constantly packed with men smoking. Breakfast choice was very limited and always the same. So many people were at hotel that during breakfast tables were never cleared. Staff in main restaurant however were very nice. We spent 5 nights there. It is good for conferences. But too far away from Sarajevo centre. There is nothing to do close by except for a few bars. Cost us a lot in taxis going and coming to centre to get a taste of the real Sarajevo and good restaurants.
The finish in bedrooms on sixth floor was modest. Comfortable. But the irregular hum from the vent outside the window did not let me sleep especially since the air-conditioning was not working in my room and I had to leave the window open. The noise kept coming on and off all night! I slept only during the last night when finally my own A/C was functioning and I could close the window.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Great hotel with great location next to river, i stayed ther for three nights, we are three men, the room is big enough, we have river view, great staff,
Bad things are
The breakfast is almost the same and limit choice.
The smell of te river is some times bad and this not to do with hotel.

Next time i will stay there agian.

• Stayed May 2014
Ohrid
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Given that is not in the centre and the fact that is more of a modular building, I believe that this hotel is perfect only for conferences and short stays.
A bit crowded and to high turnover of guest, which does not really add to to peace and quest.
Also getting to the rooms might be a bit a challenge given that the hotel resembles a labyrinth.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the new part
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Hollywood for three nights while in Sarajevo for a conference. The location was entirely suitable for me, as It was within walking distance of my event. The airport is a mere five minutes away. There are cafés and restaurants galore nearby, although I did not partake.

The first night I stayed in an older part of the hotel, aboye the bowling alley and down the hall from a conference room, which was noisy until 11 p.m., then totally quiet. Like another poster's, my door locked well from the inside, but could be pushed open from the outside when I left the room. Cigarette smoke was definitely a problem throughout the public areas (unpleasant!), but this is Bosnia... Speaking of posters, there was one of a different kind in that room: a larger-than-life print of Angelina Jolie with a saucy smirk. Interesting choice in décor...

The next day I asked for a non-smoking room. Excellent! Selma at Reception was so very accommodating, and the new room was huge, well-appointed and very clean. GREAT bathroom! Also lovely view of the river (you'll have to pretend the strong sulfur smell is therapeutic). No Angelina - just Balkan forest.

The waiters and cleaning staff were friendly and competent, the buffet breakfast was adequate, and Adi at Reception was efficient, if a tad impatient... The staff speaks English very well, and they will exchange euros for you or call you a taxi. No maps of the whole city at Reception, though - be prepared. Note, too, that they take your ID at check-in (but do not explain why...). If you do not feel comfortable leaving it there until you check out of the hotel, you can ask to have it back within a couple of hours.

If I were returning to Sarajevo, I would have no hesitation staying here agin. I hope the management team suitably rewards those staff members who make the effort to make guests feel at home. Again, special thanks to Selma, who dealt pleasantly with her guests and who really tried to ensure everything was suitable.

Room Tip: Get a room in the actual hotel part, not in the older wing in the bowling alley side. The river is p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Astoria, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had a really bad experience this past weekend. I was visiting Sarajevo from New York to be with my fiancé. I really enjoyed Sarajevo, but the hotel was a disaster.

The last day I was leaving my my fiancé, who lives locally in Sarajevo, visited me for 4 hours before my flight, exactly from 1AM to 5AM, before I left to the airport. The receptionist had a note in his notebook that someone stayed with me overnight. So, he charged me for additional guest 25 EUR (32 USD). This is the first hotel among 100 of them I have visited in my life (I travel almost every week for business) that charges for additional guest. After I left he hotel I saw the hotel rate is the same either for one or two people, so obviously this is something they just made up.

The receptionist was very rude. He didn't want to even discuss this problem, but just cutting me in the middle of the conversation and kept saying I had to pay.

The fact that the receptionist had a note in his notebook about my guest was very weird. The hotel is quite big and has several entrances/exists, but I couldn't believe they are following their guests on the cameras and making notes if you bring a guest into your room. This is just shocking.

Secondly, I used their swimming pool was dirty. I got an infection after I returned from my trip. I had to visit a doctor and got a prescription for antibiotics.

My recommendation. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Edo M
Manager-Hollywood, Manager at Hollywood Hotel Sarajevo, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Mr. Edo,

Please be informed that rates are based per person per night. Therefore, we charged you for the second person as per the official price list and house rules.

The second and more important reason is security of our guests. Each person have to check in at the reception desk with all necessary documents, witch was not the case with your fiancé.

Hotel price list is public and can be seen at the reception desk as well as at other reservation cites.

According to the Institute of Public Health protocol, water samples are collecting two times per week.
This is to confirm that the water quality satisfy all requested hygienic standards.

All mentioned documents can be sent to you.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these Sarajevo hotels

Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

First time in Sarajevo, so unsure if the surprise of how smoky the hotel was is due to me or that it is particularly bad. One night we came home and on entering the lobby from outside, the fog inside almost obliterated our view of the reception desk!
That said, staff helpful, good gym, nice buffet spread. Slightly outside of main area/ old town.
I would stay here again though

• Stayed March 2014