“Impeccable service and a ROAD TRIP!”
Review of Garni Hotel Konak

Garni Hotel Konak
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It was my first time to Sarajevo, and i fell in love with the sheer humanity and feel of the city. Then I came across a place with the kindest staff that made me love the city and the country even more. I like to stay at different hotels when I visit a place. It gives me a better idea of the city, more opportunities to meet people and I can generally walk away from a place with a better perception than just one bad or good experience.

I went to the Hotel Konak after a mediocre experience at another hotel. The Konak is a small place, but cool and hip, mostly due to its staff. Modern, clean and striving to evolve into something even better, which says a lot because it's already good. The beds are fantastic. They respect your privacy. The rooms are all wood, down to Earth and human. Good Internet speed. The hotel overlooks a busy street and a charming outdoor eating and drinking area (with some of the cheapest but yummy food and beer I've had in a long time) but I heard nearly nothing the entire night, and I'm a light sleeper.

The Konak is run by a family with incredibly cute brothers, who are not only good looking but incredibly polite, funny and always smiling. They even get you coffee in the morning at breakfast. If I were to run a hotel, that's the kind of staff I would want to be.

It was a national holiday, and I couldn't find any information about how to get the Croatian coast. The front desk tried but there was no answer, and he said there would be buses. There were buses, but I missed them. I needed to get to the coast that day, and scrambled around but couldn't cobble anything together. Out of the blue, the hotel owner offered to drive me, at 1/3 less the price of what the taxis wanted!

ROAD TRIP! Within an hour, we were on the road listening to cool tunes and talking, and I learned more about Bosnia and Bosnians than I ever could have from a book. I'm American, and know the joys (and nightmares) of long road trips. It is a long drive, with three border crossings, but Adnan was very pleasant and cheerful, and genuinely kind, funny and polite. We stopped in Mostar and he played tour guide, and had lunch near the bridge. I couldn't believe my luck.

At one of the border crossings, I was very thoroughly and slightly embarrassingly searched (Croatia is about to enter the EU and they were letting nothing in), and after seeing my underwear and other personal bits of travel, Adnon was so cool and professional that I decided Bosnia and its people had to be in the top 10 countries of hipsters I have visited (at 80 and counting).

The experience was so amazing that I managed to write and sell a short story out of it within 24 hours (no joke). Two thumbs way up for the Konak, and even bigger thumbs up for its staff. It's not every day someone sees your underwear and you realize you had a cultural experience rather than a nightmare.

Room Tip: The attic rooms, though smaller, are completely quiet and private.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank aquaskaya
There are newer reviews for Garni Hotel Konak

Reviewed September 13, 2012

First time that I've stayed at this hotel, although I've been to Sarajevo on numerous occasions. Its not the top of the range, but definitely modernized, clean, conveniently located in the old town and a fantastically friendly reception staff. Its located close to the Orthodox church and in walking distance to nearly everything you may want to see. I really enjoyed my stay here and will return again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the old town (back) are best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Beata M
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Konak for three nights and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to other travelers. The location is ideal, walk out the back entrance and you're in the heart of old town. The service was impecable, from picking us up at the airport, to preparing our coffee in the morning, to giving us great dinner recommendations.

Worth noting that the hotel is on a busy street so can be a bit noisy at times. Close the windows though and the noise disappears. The breakfast is nice but after three days of the same food it would have been nice to have a bit more variety. None of this would stop me from going back.

I hope to return again to Sarajevo and would definitely stay at the Hotel Konak again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just few meters from Bascarsija this hotel has perfect location. The staff is very helpful with great customer service skills. They picked me up from the train station and even let me choose the room. The room was spacious & very clean with airconditioning,wifi and very comfortable room. Breakfast was fine. Highly recommended to stay in Sarajevo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay in Sarajevo. Location cannot be beaten with the back door leading straight onto old town. Clean & comfortable room with fast wifi & breakfast included in room rates. But the best thing about this hotel was the impeccable customer service & delightful staff. Our bus from Dubrovnik was running late & the owner waited over an hour for us to drive us to the hotel. All staff were extremely patient, friendly & went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Thanks for a great stay in Sarajevo!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank alison719
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A very modern and clean hotel situated 10 steps away from the busy old town streets of Sarajevo.

Check in:

Easy and swift with no problems at all. The gent on check in was very efficient, polite and spoke perfect English. Nothing was too much trouble and he made our stay that little bit better.

Rooms:

Clean, modern and the one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. LCD TV with satellite, many English speaking channels. Bathroom was very clean and although our shower door was a little broken, and wouldn’t shut properly, this made little difference as everything else had its place and was well presented.

Hotel:

Excellent location, everything is accessible on foot and is close by. Good for bars and restaurants as they are very close by, shopping, sightseeing and just milling about the streets of the old town. Very modern and clean, should be 4* in my opinion as the standard is very good. Hotel also has free secure parking that is located off sight 2 streets away. The gent on check in parked our car for us!

Breakfast:

Included in the price of your stay, the breakfast consisted of cold meats and hams, cheese, cereals, boiled eggs and fruit. Fresh coffee was made to order and you can have Bosnian styled coffee if you like. All in all, very nice especially with the ambient music played in the background in the breakfast room, nice touch.

Overall:

A well-managed and operated hotel, very clean and comfortable. Good knowledgeable staff, good service and good breakfast. Great location and a sound sleep had by all. I would certainly recommend this hotel to any visitors to Sarajevo. A good standard hotel, in a beautiful part of town – what more could you want!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Situated in the heart of Sarajevo you could not wish for a better location. Bars, restaurants, supermarkets, bizarre, post offices and cash exchanges are literally on your door step. As the hotel is located on a busy main road there is no on site parking but if you ask at reception they do have a space witch is just metres away near the police station. The reception is home to a wealth of handouts, maps and magazines for you to use and browse. Access to the breakfast room can be found via reception and the back door opens into a small courtyard where there are two bars and a restaurant. Ideal if you have had a long day and you don't want to venture far. There is a lift that access all floors. The staff was awesome. Extremely friendly, very helpful, and always looking out for you. They even parked our hire car.

Room 4, 2nd floor:
The rooms are bright and homely consisting of AC, a full shower room/wc with a hair dryer and clean towels. A large mounted TV can be found in front of the bed which was very comfortable to watch with satellite access and the ability to hook up a laptop/netbook if required. The beds were single but pushed together make a suitable sized double bed which didn’t move in the night like some tend to.

Breakfast was of a continental style with fresh bread, cheeses and meats. Cereal and hard boiled eggs were also available. Tea and coffee was made on demand but never stopped flowing.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family and would stay here again if I visited Sarajevo again.

Room Tip: Room 4, overlooking the main road. The genrtal noise from to road is minimal but when the trams go b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple