“i love Sarajevo n Staff in Hotel Divan!”
Review of Hotel Divan

Hotel Divan
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed September 23, 2013

this is the first time I stayed at this hotel. It was elegant beautiful and the service was tremendous. I was able to book the room at a great price and I would recommend calling the hotel directly. the front desk desk personnel was phenomenal

Room Tip: Every room has its own story to tell, so, free your imagination, relax n enjoy
4  Thank Johnn J
There are newer reviews for Hotel Divan

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very nice location at the city center, friendly staff, clean rooms. Good prices. Divan hotel is a sister hotel of Konak Hotel near to each other. Divan hotel is more new. Rooms are quite big enough and bathroom is well designed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jason s
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed one night at B&B Divan in Sarajevo in August 2013. We enjoyed our stay at Divan because of the friendly staff and the excellent location.

The staff were helpful and gave us good tips on attractions and restaurants. We ended up eating excellent burek in a nearby restaurant, which was recommended by the staff. Our room was clean, nicely furnished, and the double bed was comfortable. TV, aircon & wifi worked well in the room.

Maybe the best thing about Divan is the location: Sarajevo's old town is just around the corner and there are many bakeries, cafés and cheap restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had to the opposite experience as the last reviewer, hence my 'excellent' review. I met honest people making an honest living, found my room to be very comfortable, and slept very well.. The construction must have been short lived because all I heard were the trams at night - the regularity and consistently of which i found comforting. I have traveled all over the US, Europe, and Central Asia, and if I did not want to hear the city I which I was visiting, I would stay in a Marriott.

When I checked in, the receptionist recommended Pod Lipom (just around the corner), and Bosnian meat pie with a glass of white wine was exactly what I needed after my 6 hr bus trip. The WiFi signal was fine in my room and in the dining room. Breakfast had non-grain options, and the hostess made me a cup of strong coffee using her espresso machine.

I loved the location of this hotel- very close to Bascarsija Square - and found it easy to navigate with this as my home base. I would stay here again and would recommend others to do so.

4  Thank Stacy28970
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The B&B Divan is a gem in a superior location. The concierge, Melika, is a wealth of advice stories of her childhood during the seige, and an overal enthusiasm for life that comes through in her thorough execation of her multifacted position at the small but hugely welcoming hotel There is a communal kitchen that can be used at any hour, tea, coffee etc. machine and biscuits as well as some original bosnian spirits available for your pleaseure.
The staff is extremely accomodating, the rooms are beautifully decorated and clean.

We would stay at this B&B Divan again and would recommend it to others.

3  Thank Eldin1985
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here after reading all the good reviews. I wouldn't enthuse as much as others - it was an average hotel and the cost was pretty steep (50 euros per night) given I had to change rooms (due to the noise from the trams and traffic all night) and given I hate the cigarette smoke (the first thing you notice when entering) Even if people arent smoking in the hotel itself, there was a small from the patio that filled the whole hotel with a stale lingering smell.

Its a small hotel on the smaller ring road/one way system within the city where the tram goes. Its location is good but its not a pedestrian area unlike other hotels. Two of the younger women at the desk were lovely - very pleasant indeed. Their mother (?) was more brusque but seems nice enough, another guy didnt seem to know much either but was pleasant. But in fairness to them after one sleepless night I must have looked like I was ready to cry or leave the hotel - so they suggested I switch rooms and were v accommodating.

Breakfast was pretty miserable: hard cold eggs, packaged milk, artificial orange drink, packed butter etc. Nice bread though. But coffee machine didnt work when I was there and I hate instant coffee. All this was set up in the smoke-smelling reception room. Some fruit was welcome though.
The next days I went out to get fresh coffee and pastries from the numerous nice cafes in the city.....
So overall an average stay, summed up as below:

pros:
central;
very very clean,
cheaper than the v unwelcoming Hotel Europa (which also smelt of cigarette smoke and where I didnt check in);
helpful and welcoming reception staff who helped not just us, but also people who came in lost and who needed to use the phone or who generally needed help.

cons: have to pay in cash (no credit cards);
smell of cigarette smoke;
noisy rooms on street side;
tiny and dated bathrooms;
water shortage so no water from 12 midnight until 5am (not great when you get back from a day out in 40 degree heat)
tired bed linen,
no water to drink in rooms,
no parking - or even place to stop for more than 30 second drop off in front of the hotel.

BUT...overall Sarajevo is such a lovely place, the people so resilient and open to chat to tourists about their history, fantastic architecture and the country's customer service is generally so good. The general welcome made me forgive and forget the cons and remember only the 'pros'.

Room Tip: dont stay on the street side if you want to leave the window open at night
3  Thank traveller2007
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Good location on the edge of the old town. Staff were very nice, with helpful tips on places to eat, how to get around, etc. The building was clean and tidy, though the smell of stale smoke was a little overpowering on walking in the front door.

WiFi was very irregular, which the staff warned us of on arrival. On numerous occasions, we had to ask for the modem to be reset.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple