“Regular chain hotel with some local specifics”

Crowne Plaza Minsk Hotel
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Minsk
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is good big expensive hotel. Very predictable delivery versus regular expectations. Except for one. If you stay on saturday forget about any lobby service - you won't get a toothpick. On saturday night this hotel is a center of attraction for Minsk glamourous youngsters. Many of them will be just girls (and boys!) hooking foregners. Hotel guests are normally ignored by lobby services on theses occasions. Breakfast is a pay off - it is very good and generous.

• Stayed: September 2010
Denis K, Manager at Crowne Plaza Minsk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. We are very upset because we always take care of our guests.
I hope you will stay with us again when you visit Minsk.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

This is, without doubt, a very, very good hotel.

Rooms are clean, modern and very comfortable and quiet. The beds are especially comfortable and you are not left wanting anything. Soft robes and towels are provided in the bathroom on a daily basis and the mini-bar is well stocked and, if you choose carefully, reasonably priced.

There is free, reliable wi-fi in each room. International calls from the hotel room, at least to the UK, are also very cheap.

The hotel staff are also top notch. Being both friendly and having a good command of English. I must pay special thanks to the bar lady who, at my request, taught me how to order my beer in Russian. A very nice touch!

So, what's the catch?

Well, firstly, all of this luxury comes at a price. By most standards, this place is incredibly expensive. The room charge is very high but, admittedly, you do get what you pay for.

Where things start to go a little wrong in terms of pricing is the cost of food. I could not see any sense or reasoning at all in the menu pricing. For example, a large dish consisting of pork, peppers, potato pancakes in abundance was around BLR 70,000 whereas a simple Penne Arrabbiata was priced at BLR 160,000. Crazy!

It's also worth mentioning the club that is based in the hotel. Club Next.

Never mind the 'face control', had we not been perceived as 'wealthy foreigners' there's no way we would have been allowed in, the phrase 'meat market' doesn't even come close to describing this place. It's a very personal thing, but there were aspects to this club that I would go so far to describe as disturbing.

If you like very commercial music, pretty girls and can make yourself blind to what's really going on in this place, you'll probably love it. Otherwise, it's one to avoid.

So, great hotel. Shame about the club.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Gurnox

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay at Crowne Plaza Minsk and for your review.
Great to hear that you found our staff friendly and the room comfortable. I will certainly share your comments with our staff.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by visiting Next club.
We hope to have a pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2011

with some of our friends we booked last weekend 4 rooms in the hotel. one of the reasons was that there is a good night club in the hotel and we did mention this at the moment of the booking.
we arrived friday midday, checked in with friendly receptionists and we did place at the check in, that we would like to have a table at the night club reserved. "no problem, just wait until the administrator of the nightclub is in and you can do so", was the answer. the rest of the day and evening we spent at the restaurant of the hotel where we enjoyed overpriced wines like everywhere in the CIS and the italian food, which for belarussia is probably okay. we asked the waiter to book us a table at the nightclub, which she also confirmed to us.
after we paid the heavy bill, we wanted to go the nightclub, but at the entrance an unfriendly face control person (he is paid a miserable salary a month and is having his highlights, when he decides about who can go in and who not) told us, that they have a private party going on and therefore we would not be allowed to enter. after asking who is having the party, we were told, that it is the owner of the hotel and therefore only his invited guests are allowed to the club. why they did accept reservations at the club, or why nobody at the hotel told us that they have a private party, we did not understand and probably all other involved parties as well. we were asking the duty manager and the club manager and they also could not solve the problem (they did not want probably, because why bother the owner about his guests request). Just to make sure one thing: we all were dressed fine and had definitely not too much to drink before.

we did go to another club where we also had a lot of fun and spent our money (go to the madison club) and at the next morning breakfast, we did see the party guests from the hotel owner. a lot of his guests from turkey and a lot of young girls who had no chance to change their clothes after the party and who definitely have not booked a room at the hotel.
resumee: the owner of the hotel should less be taking care of the young minsk girls for his flown in guests of turkey, but should also think about his paying guests. but thanks god there are also other hotels in minsk at this moment and in the future.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank sinan37

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations.
All comments are taken seriously and shared with our hotel staff, to help us improve our services. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by visiting Next club. We have investigated this situation and had talk with Next club staff.
We hope to have a pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

After days of reading reviews and considering Minsk hotels, I picked this. My decision was mainly because of the language barrier and an American property. This usually doesn't matter but Minsk is not your everyday city. Everyone spoke very good English. The neighborhood is nice and the hotels is a short walk to 2 different Metro stations, 1 being the main train station. There are very good restaurants all in short walking distance. Across the street is an ATM that gave me an excellent rate and easy to use, it had English too. The room I had was like any other American Crowne Plaza. The bed was perfect and the bathroom was immaculate and modern. The room was somewhat small but certainly nothing to complain about. I had no view except the building 3 feet away, but it made up for it by the excellent constant breeze blowing through my window. Heat was all that came from the ventilation, so I relied upon the window. The breakfast was very nice with something for everyone. I never tried the other restaurants. The co-located casino was nice and large however smoky like most. There is a very popular night club in this hotel that brought in a lobby full of beautiful people. I did not enter the club as the cover charge was almost $20 and I would only walk through and leave. The taxi ride from the airport was $40 USD and I negotiated it when I exited the terminal. The only reason I ding'd sleep quality above is due to the ventilation only blowing heat regardless of the setting. Value has 2 dings because in my opinion all Belarus hotels are severely overpriced. I would stay here again. Final recommendations to any 1st time travelers to this country as I was, have all your paperwork in order and you will have no problems. It is a police state, and expect to go through police and military checkpoints for any large event you may attend. Its a safe and clean city with very good food. There are almost no directional signs in English, so knowing a little Russian helps.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank ch8050
Reviewed September 11, 2010

This was my first stay in this hotel and probably the last.
1. When arrived , no one helped with the luggage
2. I have booked on line and used Amex, which was taken on the site. But when checked in they refused to accept the one.
3. The room smells badly.
4. Hotels allows to smoke everywhere and my room was very unpleasant because of the smoke.
5. The rooms are being cleaned very late once a day, without open bed service in the evening.I came back to my room and at 4 pm in was still not cleaned.
6. I think the hotel runs official or non official , you know what, girls are everywhere even there is no place in the lobby to seat down to have a drink.
7. I was stoped by the security , who thought I was the same kind of girl going with a man to the hotel room. My collegue was furious. If you are a woman traveller please be aware that you could be stoped by unpleasant people thinking that you are a prostitute.
8. Dolce Vita is a rip off.
9. The aircon does not work in the hotel.
10. General stay in very everage.
Good things about the hotel:
1. Bed is very comfortable
2. Very good location

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
12  Thank Larissa075
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I travel to Minsk regularly and have stayed in all the major hotels (3) and rented apartments.
Without doubt this is the best. Prices are reasonable - watch the wine prices in Dolce Vita!
In general the room was OK, the service good, good gym and swimming pool, nice night club, plenty of places to talk and lots of Minsk women looking great.
Of course there were glitches but doesn't that always happen wherever you stay?
Hope it keeps up the standards!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
10  Thank Eater96
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Marble, space, et cetera - very much like a resort hotel in Antalya. The service sometimes squeaks - no toliet paper in the spa, cold hammam, etc. However, the club rooms are excellent, spacious and new.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business