All reviews two nights north korea al jazeera tour group balcony laundry guests sheraton amenities lift tv dprk supply karaoke
Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

Lots of amenities and a great gift shop. I think a lot of the negative reviews for this hotel are from its pre-renovation period. I thought the Sosan was funky, bright, modern, and beautiful, and could be a solid 4-star American hotel. That said, the bathroom in my room smelled like a raw sewage plant--that was the only drawback--and among my group, the stench was apparently isolated to my room (so maybe it's actually me who smells like a raw sewage plant, but I don't think so!) Regardless, I would still recommend this hotel to all my friends planning a nice relaxing stay in lovely Pyongyang, North Korea!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank aimeescreenname
Reviewed May 2, 2018

I have been in this hotel in January as a part of one tour group and i found the hotel quite nice... Of course is not a 5* hotel but didnt look old. Staff on breakfast was nice and the tour was amazing. Stayed there 4 nights and enjoyed. I think that need a little more fun for the guests as traditional music for example.. :)

Room tip: Pay attention for the hot water hours.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank P9641XDjoeld
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Stayed there for a few nights, more modern than the Yanggakdo but less entertainment. Still quite pleasant and possibly a guaranteed stop for anyone staying in the DPRK. Golf club next door if you want to do something different.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Legeckko
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

This hotel was great! Just like staying at a Sheraton! No water issues, comfy, lots to do in the evening. Staff is super friendly and came out to wave to our tour bus:)), have to love that. I left my laundry here while we went to another city for a couple days and came back to it all clean and folded and my bed, super cheap too!

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank JetSetBlu
Reviewed August 21, 2017

Stayed at the Sosan for my first two nights in the DPRK. The foyer is grand but with interesting little nooks and crannies to relax in. My room on the 17th floor was comfortable with the obligatory two single beds, TV (several Western channels) and air-conditioning. Bathroom was dated but everything worked. First night the air conditioner ran a bearing so I turned it off, opened the windows and discovered that mosquitos can fly as high as 17 floors up! Next morning reported the breakdown to reception and on returning in the evening found the conditioner had been fixed and worked well thereafter. Laundry was a total mystery as I had some and despite the best efforts of all concerned, it remained unwashed for the duration. Also recommend you carry a small torch as the area had a couple of power outs in the evening so the hotel lifts were out of action until supply was restored. Instead of going to my room used the time well and went for a walk in the garden and visited a few of the stalls set up there. All in all an acceptable inn.

Date of stay: June 2017