All reviews sports village souvenir shops tour group balcony sheraton guests beds firm lift laundry range tv bookshop
Reviewed May 5, 2017

I stayed in the Sosan Hotel for two nights and to be honest I had very limited expectations before my stay at the hotel. The hotel is imposing and is located in Pyongyang Sports Village, the lobby is on a grand scale and similar to any hotel lobby found in other cities in the world.

My room was on the 27th floor and had excellent views of parts of Pyongyang and the surrounding area. The refurbished twin bedded room was nicely decorated with a good amount of storage space, TV with small range of international channels including Al Jazeera News Channel, there was a kettle but no teabags or coffee provided but this was not an issue. There was also a small balcony which was nice to have, and one stark difference about staying in Pyongyang is the quietness at night and devoid of any city related noise found anywhere else which was quite evident when out on the balcony.

The bathroom was fine with a reasonably sized bathtub and the shower spluttered a lot for a few minutes before springing to life. I had the buffet breakfast on one occasion which was ample with a mainly Korean selection with a few western items, also coffee, tea and juices available. I really wasn't sure what to expect at the Sosan Hotel but I was pleasantly surprised and I was impressed with the service and facilities it offered.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo
3  Thank paullegate
Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Sosan Hotel for 2 nights recently and would stay there again. As some other reviews say, the place is clean and the beds comfy (firm, but comfy). I stayed on the 12th floor and as the hotel was very busy at the time, on a couple occasions it was faster to take the stairs than to wait for the elevator (the only downside to the stay). The restaurant was fine, though note its 99% Korean menu, so no chance of a continental breakfast. Instant coffee only in the restaurant, though you can get an Americano in the bar for 4usd. There are also a few good souvenir shops at the hotel (pick up a DPRK sports tracksuit for 55usd). It's also a good location if you are there for sport as the hotel is just off the main street that holds a range of sport stadiums.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul1978
Reviewed January 5, 2017 via mobile

Very clean hotel and the beds are really comfy. The staff are so friendly and helpful. We kept them up a few times with some late nights but they were always so nice to us. They have great karaoke rooms that are really cool. A pool as well if you fancy a swim.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank ZenaTheGreat
Reviewed December 13, 2016

Stayed here as part of a tour in November and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Sosan Hotel. It was refurbished in 2015 and as a result the rooms were very comfortable - comparable with a modern Travelodge/Best Western or similar.

The room was a double, the beds were large and comfortable. A coffee table and chairs had also been rammed between the bed and the window, not sure how I was supposed to use these! A nice view of the river from the balcony. The heating worked well, each night coming back I found house keeping had turned it right up - they like it warm apparently.

The bathroom was also good, a bath/shower, sink and toilet. I was surprised to see soap, shampoo and conditioner provided, along with a toothbrush, toothpaste and fresh towels. I had no issues with the hot water when I was there, it was available 6pm-midnight and 6am-8am in the mornings. On our tour we got back to the hotel at around 8-9pm each night and left at 7:30 each morning so this was more than adequate.

There was a shop in the lobby selling water/soda/snacks and so forth. There was also a shop selling sporting goods in the lobby, this was never open. The bookshop on the second floor was quite good though.

There were two bars, I spent time in the larger one on the second floor (or third floor if you were using the lift). This had all the charm of an airport lounge, but the beer was cheap. I did not enjoy the breakfast, but I suppose you would describe it as on par with the rest of the food I ate in North Korea.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
5  Thank Tim N
Reviewed November 22, 2016

First the good points:
1) Everything is CHEAP - Laundry service: $3 USD for jeans and a shirt. Alcohol: 10 RMB for a BIG bottle of beer. Bottle of water: 3 RMB et c.

2) Satellite T.V. - not many channels though...

3) 2 bars and a billiards room.

4) The staff is really nice

5) Beds are relatively comfortable

Bad points
1) Hot water is available for only 2 hours twice a day

2) Although they say you can interact with local guests, foreigners are placed on upper floors and stairwell is walled off at 19th floor (fire hazard???)

3) It was recently (last year) renovated, but to DPRK standards, not Western standards so even though it's one of the best hotels in the country, it's along the lines of a Best Western.

In the end, I WOULD stay here again since I have stayed at a more typical DPRK hotel in Pyongsong and it was utter CRAP!

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo