All reviews sports village souvenir shops tour group balcony sheraton guests beds firm lift laundry range tv bookshop
Reviewed May 27, 2016

We were upgraded to this hotel during our trip in March 2016 with Koryo Tours. It is newly renovated, so it is supposed to be way better than the Ryanggang, which are at the same price level. Rooms were comfortable, and lobby and bars looked quite new. Only the rooms had heating, so it was necessary to bring a jacket/warm sweater when going to the bar. Warm water was only on from 6-8am and 8-11pm. One morning I had a cold shower even though I was showering at 7:30am. We only had breakfast here, and it was not recommendable. We were put on the 25th floor so the views were great. We were not allowed to leave the hotel, so the location doesnt really matter - it was 5-10 minutes from the city centre by bus. Considering this to be DPRK I give it 4 stars.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank Jeblin
Reviewed April 19, 2016

I stayed here during my participation in Pyongyang Marathon in April 2016. Accommodation choices in Pyongyang for tourists are limited and mostly, I believe, constrained by circumstances. The hotel had just been renovated. It is located near some sports amenities, although that meant little to us as we did not have the chance to venture beyond the hotel grounds. There was also a golf driving range next to the hotel but I was not sure if it was already operating or accessible to tourists. A nice reasonably-sized garden fronted the hotel.

There was little in the appearance of the hotel to distinguish it from any 3 or 4 star hotel at any major city. The lobby, decked primarily in orange marble tiles, had high ceiling and was spacious. There were plenty of sofas and seats for guests. I had no contact with the reception as the checking-in was done by our tour guide. On the ground floor, there was a small bar, a shop selling sports goods and a general sundry shop. There was no 2nd floor, so to speak, as the flight of steps (or the lifts) would bring you next to the 3rd floor where the restaurant was situated. Again, the hotel did not stinge on size and the restaurant was spacious, bright and had more than adequate tables and chairs. During my stay, I had breakfast there 3 times, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. Breakfast was buffet style with a spread of mainly local dishes plus hard boiled eggs and bread. Service was generally prompt. There was a book shop on the 3rd floor selling North Korean literature and souvenirs.

There were 4 lifts in this 30-storey hotel but guests could only use 3 lifts as the 4th lift was a service lift for the staff. This was my biggest peeve as the 3 lifts, while modern-looking, were slow and uncoordinated. A couple of the guests got stuck in the lifts. The situation was worsened as the hotel was near full capacity due to the marathon. It would have faster to take the stairs which were just next to the lifts.

I had a room on the 26th floor. Like any hotel in big city, access was by a card key. The room was very spacious, as can be seen from the photos. There was a mini-fridge (although I did not try it) and a flat-screen TV that had a local channel, various CCTV channels, a French channel, another European channel (not sure what language) and a channel (from Russia?) that continuously telecast some church service e.g. holy communion. The bathroom was of adequate size and came with a bathtub. Some toiletries (toothbrush, shampoo and bath gel) were supplied. The hot water, though, was a tad inconsistent. Clean towels were supplied and replenished daily although I did not see a single chambermaid throughout my stay. There were plenty of wall sockets throughout the room. My room had a balcony although the windows could not be opened. There was no room safe.

Overall, I found my stay at the hotel to be satisfactory except for the lifts. If I were to be put up at Sosan Hotel on my next trip to Pyongyang, I would not mind.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jack_CCC
Reviewed April 14, 2016

Located in the sport village, a bit out of town, but in a quiet area. The rooms are smallish but clean. Breakfast buffet is nothing special, but lunch and dinner are great and you should eat at least a meal or two here. They have a small bar, souvenir and sport shop.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ffrige
Reviewed March 12, 2016

Our group had to move to this one from Ryanggang hotel because the latter didn't have heating or hot water.

Sosan hotel is actually much more modern and better looking (for NK standards, that is). There is some heating (although it was still colder than normal) and the beds have electric heating in their mattresses! How nice! I never seen that in any western hotel. Hot water was available through most of the day, but was still sometimes disappearing.

The lobby has a food shop and, interestingly... a sports shop! Where you can buy stuff like basketballs and fake Adidas shoes.

There's also a bar, a restaurant, an empty movie theatre and a massage place with middle-aged-looking Korean woman masseuse that looks like she's depressed.

The hotel is really huge, more than 30 stories high, although we (about 20 people) were the only occupants at the time! And as with other NK infrastructure, there was frequent power outages, lasting 5-10 minutes each. During the night it's worse, as the power seemed to be chaotically going in an out every half an hour!

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
3  Thank DavidTempleman
Reviewed February 16, 2016

After reading nothing but poor reviews about the Ryanggang Hotel (the hotel originally planned for my group to stay at) I was pleasantly surprised with the Sosan Hotel. I stayed on the 24th floor and hot water was available at anytime, the beds were very clean, and there's a tea kettle with cups so I could make tea in the evening. On the premises there's a game area, two souvenir shops, a full bar, and a tailor. Considering I booked a "budget" tour with Koryo Tours I was pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo