“Feel "comfortable" under the hard surveillance”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Koryo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pyongyang
Koryo Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Pyongyang
Saitama
“Feel "comfortable" under the hard surveillance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed for summer holidays in Pyongyang. Room was nice and comfortable. However, I was always being forced to stay under the hard surveillance till I went out with "guide". I made a call to my relatives from hotel, however, the guide knew the whole conversation I made in the previous night. It is hard to go outside by myself. The "guide" and hotel staff had been monitering the guest's coming and going near the entrance. I tried to go out by myself, however, the "guide" suddenly called me for not leave hotel alone. Breakfast was served by buffet style. I saw some Chinese and Russian tourist in the restaurant. Quality of food was relatively high and satisfactory. Staffs in the restaurant were really friendly (except monitering near the entrance). If I have a chance to visit Pyongyang again, I will definitely choose this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank nyonyosan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

No room service, breakfast is the best meal of the day, eat chips other times of the day. At 6am you will wake up to the wake-up call for Pyongyang citizens, 'broadcast' from the station. Let this make you realize how lucky you are that you are allowed to leave. The hotel is as comfortable as the DPRK gets. The karaoke was fun too.

Stayed September 2012
12 Thank LuAnton
Leipzig, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I came to North Korea as part of a delegation for the German Foreign Ministry to work with music students of the Music Conservatory in Pyongyang. We stayed at the Koryo Hotel for a week which all up far exceeded my expectations.
The rooms are clean, outdated 70 style furniture, but well kept. It was very cold as we were there and it was hard to get the rooms warm, perfect for sleeping, but not too comfortable if you plan to spend lots of time relaxing in the room.
There are various options for the restaurants. We had all our meals on a restaurant on the second floor. I noticed however also other restaurants on other floors, but we were not meant to eat there. Im not sure how they divide or allocate the restaurants but the other guests at our restaurants seemed to be diplomats and visiting advisors from various different countries.
The quality of the food was surprisingly good! Many Korean dishes, but still very palatable for westerners. On the first day the portions were very small, and upon asking for more ( we agreed to pay more) they brought more food and for the rest of the week the portions were always bigger.
Breakfast is also very good. There is always a chef on hand to make you scrambled or freid eggs and toast the bread. Everything else is buffet style, but they are in control of the eggs and toast.
There were always traditional Korean dishes also available fro breakfast. Meat, fish, rice, Potato salad and various other dishes you would not expect to see at a european breakfast table. I tried almost all of what they had to offer and found most of it very good.
There is also a revolving restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. The quality of the food is very good but much more expensive than the other restaurant, but still quite reasonable for European standards. Huge menu selection and of all food types.
Although we had "tour guides" who mainly served as interpreters, they pretty much let us do what we want. We often left the hotel to walk around. Some of our colleagues even played football with some boys on adjacent block.
There is also a bar on the ground floor and a shop which sells a large array of items, from food and groceries, to traditional clothing and musical instruments.
International phone calls are possible from the hotel but are very expensive. (All our mobile phones were taken away at the airport.) You are however allowed to bring in cameras and we had no restrictions on what we could photograph. There is no Internet at the hotel!
As a person who travels a lot all over the world I have to say this was one of the more unique places I have visited, but by no means was this a negative experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
22 Thank Pinocchio72
park city UT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you are reading this you're in all likelihood headed here as part of a tour. You are not headed here for a luxurious vacation experience and if these are your expectations you will not be disappointed. The hotel is bizarre. The rooms are dingy and dark. The beds are hard. The food is awful. All of this is to be expected however as it is north Korea. Th experience you'll have will be north short of incredible as this entire country is like no place else on earth (obviously) and you will come away with a new understanding of the situation there. Your hotel will not be a great experience but you shouldn't be expecting annoying more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
14 Thank expeditiondaddy

Travelers are raving about these Pyongyang hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Pyongyang downtown Koryo Hotel for first time Feb2013. Previously I had been allocated to Yannggakdo Hotel five times. I found that I preferred the Yannggakdo Hotel where there just seemed more evening things for overseas visitors to do. My room appeared poky and 'old' with bathroom similarly small. Restaurant where I ate was not as good as Yannggakdo Hotel. Place wasn't bad but it just wasn't good.

Room Tip: Sit back and take it in.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank RCC_10
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Close to the train station and stamp shop in the center of town but doesnt matter considering you cant move without your guides. Rooms were 70s style and clean. Bathroom was fairly good. Pool was average, breakfast is also ok. Phone calls can be expensive so beware (6$+ per minute to the USA). 3.5 stars by western standards, 5 by nk standards but you cant get much better in pyongyang.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andi450
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My sister and I stayed here with a tour group in September 2012.

After staying at the Yanggakdo, the rest of the group complained about the hotel and the tour guides got us moved to this hotel, which is 100% better than the Yanggakdo.

This is North Korea's Diplomatic Hotel and is a much better standard than the other hotels we stayed in, just think a Torquay hotel in the 1980's.... It's also a lovely red colour, with iridescent red tiles that shimmered. I quite liked it, but it does show something of North Korea and it's way of dealing with issues... they just gloss over them! The staff here were all very professional, and they were proficient with dealing with tourists. The spoke very reasonable English, which helped when trying to get hold of our guide.

This hotel has a nice lobby, with around 3 or 4 restaurants dotted around the place and a coffee shop which served really good coffee (at 6 Euro a cup). The hotel is split into two towers, we stayed in Tower 2, in a 2nd Class room which came with a separate sitting room.

The view wasn't as good as the Yanggakdo, as we looked over the more industrial side of Pyongyang.

The beds were firm and comfortable, and the alarm clock thingy worked, and we even had a TV that had BBC News, so news from the outside world! The window opened fully, and you could smoke in the room. The bathroom was weird, it was like it was pre-formed and then installed as an afterthought in an empty space, but it didn't leak, and there was always hot water.

The restaurant was adequate, but you had to pay for tea and coffee at breakfast, and drinks at dinner.

The lifts were well maintained and didn't creak or wobble or bounce so I was happy just with that!

We managed to get some washing done here, which was around 20 euro for 2 bags worth which was quite good, and was done within the day.

All in all, if I ever go back to North Korea, I would definitely ensure I stay here, at the Koryo Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank David J

Been to Koryo Hotel? Share your experiences!