“If you're in Pyongyang, it's a must see”
Review of Kim Il-sung Square

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I saw the square last month, and imagined the crowd listening to their new leader Kim Jong Eun give his first speech on April 15th commemorating his grandfather's 100th birthday. He gave his speech right above where the pictures of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il. I only saw the square from the side, but I didn't think it was as big as Tianenmen Square.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Kim Il-sung Square is the nominal center of Pyongyang and serves as a gathering site for parades and other national events. There's a great view of Juche Tower from the Square as well as as the government building that surround the square. When I asked my guide about the white dots on the pavement, he told me that were used to ensure that lines fo people who attend parades and gathering in the square were straight. For some reason he became very nervous when we crossed the road, but he followed us across when we went against his advice. He also discouraged us from walking too close to the portraits of Kim Li-sung and Kim Jong-il.

If you're in Pyongyang, Kim Il-sung Square is a must see and memorable stop on the tour list.

2  Thank Mark P
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very impressive square located at the river. Just imagine this square to be packed with people dancing and cheering. Be sure to make respectful pictures of the picture of the great leader.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Interesting area for festival marches. Check out the marks on the foor, and don't cross the road ;-0

1  Thank Fernlicht
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Weather at the day of visit, actually the smog which prevents to see the whole architecture.