“Slice of Paradise”
Review of Omali Sao Tome

Omali Sao Tome
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sao Tome
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed two nights at Omali during a whirlwind photo expedition on the island. From the second I arrived, I was treated like a VIP, with warm, genuine smiles and attention to detail. The doorman who saw me to my room spoke impeccable English and greeted me by name every time we passed during my stay.

The grounds are gorgeous, and make it difficult to classify Omali as an ordinary hotel. It's more of a resort with numerous suites around a central pool and courtyard. I really did feel like I was in my own little paradise when I stepped into my large room, which also featured a separate twin bed suite.

When I visited, there didn't seem to be many other guests, or if there were they were very quiet and stayed in. The whole grounds had a very intimate feel, and I was able to just relax and rest after my long days out hiking around the island. I even took an early morning dip in the outdoor pool, which was quite refreshing and peaceful with no one else around.

My first evening, I ate dinner at Omali's restaurant, which was pretty good. The fish soup in particular was a treat, but the chicken breast was way over salted. The breakfasts, however, were phenomenal. There are few places where you can have passion fruit, mango, star fruit, guava and bananas that were probably picked the day before. Omali is one such place. The other buffet-style offerings were also very good, and I'd highly recommend the quiche and French toast.

After this one stay while on business, I'm craving a return trip for relaxation with my wife. I'm certain Omali would be a perfect destination for a romantic getaway, and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms facing the pool and courtyard are the best!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is near the airport good service, nice surroundings close to everything
Nice place in a very poor island
The breakfast and food is very good just like it is in bom bom in principe, the staff is helpful the pool is good and there s a beach close by

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed two nights at Omali. The staff is courteous and attentive. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. Overall the hotel is clean and well maintained.

We only had some minor complaints. The pool was very clean, but starting to show signs of age. The cement is cracking and it was being overgrown with grass. The basic rooms are very clean and well appointed. However, there is no door for the bathroom. This can be a bit awkward when you are travelling with someone.

I would stay there again given its good quality and proximity to the airport, but mainly as a transition point going to or from one of the more remote locations outside the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed at the omali lodge for business. Rooms are clean, staff is always ready to help, the Internet connection works well, and the restaurant in the hotel is good. Cons: you need a car to go to the city center. Taxi in São Tomé are not very safe and not very punctual. You can rent a car but it costs about 30 Euro per day ( if you rent it for the whole week, otherwise it costs more). There are not safe box in the rooms so if you wish to leave valuables in the hotel, you need to leave them at the reception and give at least a 24 hours notice when you need them.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Vrbza
Reviewed July 28, 2013

During the three nights I spent at this hotel, I found the rooms spacious, comfortable, and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the location excellent. The food at breakfast and dinner was very good, but not highly imaginative, and the service was attentive. Perhaps the best hotel on the island, it does not rank among outstanding resort hotels found elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have been coming to Omali for many years, as a guest both to the hotel and the restaurant. I have seen the changes over time and have been very happy with the atmosphere and premises as well as with the service. The hotel is beautiful, well situated and the staff make you feel as one in the family. I have recommended Omali to my clients and made it the home away from home for our own business trips. Omali is simply the best hotel in Sao Tome.
On a less positive note, I recently returned to the Omali restaurant after some time away and was very disappointed with the bland and generic menu. The quality of the dishes I tasted was also not up to the usual Omali standard (and without exception decorated with the new signature garnish fried onions). The Omali restaurant has always been a place where I could find a nice variety, with food comparable to international standards, but now the menu choices are similar to other Sao Tome restaurants, nothing exceptional. I will definitely return to the hotel, and I will also visit the restaurant again, but rather due to the outstanding service and ambiance than due to the food. Next time I might settle for a beer and a pizza.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Lotta K
CeciliaFourie, General Manager at Omali Sao Tome, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your on-going support. It is good to know that you enjoy our facilities and services. The Omali restaurant has been our showpiece and pride over the years, as I can see you know. Since March of this year we are re-designing our restaurant and menu, leading it into a new era with a well-known chef from Portugal. I apologize if the menu did not appeal to you. We shall definitely factor your comments into the process to ensure that the Omali restaurant has an excellent menu with great quality.

Cecilia
Omali Boutique Luxury Hotel

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I just love the Omali Lodge has simple facilities and modern, has a very good customer service, the staff are always very attentive and polite, the rooms are spacious and very clean, has a good free internet. The restaurant offers very varied and tasty food at a good price. Good location, opposite the beach, 3 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from the capital city by the side of the city.

I recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lydis_13

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation. It is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Praia Inhame Eco Lodge
#1 of 2 in Porto Alegre
12 mi away
Mucumbli

Been to Omali Sao Tome? Share your experiences!