“Excellent! Excellent!”
Review of Sofitel Malabo

Sofitel Malabo
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Malabo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I absolutely enjoyed my recent stay at the Sofitel Malabo . The hotel is beautiful and extremely comfortable. The entire staff was awesome and very attentive! They treated me as a queen! Everyone was so nice and hospitable including the Manager Mr. Baptiste, the front desk staff, Executive-Chef, dinning room staff, housekeeping staff, etc.. There is is no doubt that this is one of the best hotels on the Continent. Please keep up the excellent work and continue to take care of the staff. Because satisfied staff members foster happy guests like me. Thank you again for an absolutely wonderful experience.

1  Thank Chu Chu O
GM_Sofitel_Malabo, General Manager at Sofitel Malabo, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Ms Chu Chu,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Malabo "President Palace". It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

As for the spa even we do not have one on site we can call a masseuse to do your massage in your room or you can use the service at Sofitel Sipopo.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had wonderful hospitality experiences, and when it comes to Africa Sofitel is on my top-list. From the Executive-Chef to the housekeepers and servers. This hotel kept me 100 percent satisfied with every complimentary item I needed and a warm, friendly staff. With good food, free Internet (which is not random all over Europe), a pool and the location that is in the middle of the city the hotel makes the stay perfect. This chic high-rise is super-close to good shopping, bars, restaurants and some of the city's cultural attractions. The decor inside is modern, with big windows letting lots of natural light into the rooms and air condtion that keeps the mosquitos out of the rooms and the hotel. The staff is very international and helpful. They offer tours around the island and give helpful information about attractions near the hotel.

Dear Ms Vivi,

Reviewed August 15, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews, I wondered if I stayed in the same place. When I review hotels in Africa, I do not compare them to other continents because they cannot compete for the quality and amenties. However, if I have a choice of where I can stay, then I look to reviews like these but take most of them with a grain of salt. This hotel is definitely one of the better I've stayed in. Most everything in Malabo is overpriced but that is to be expected. I stayed only one night but I had an excellent view of the beach and water. The bell hop escorted me to my room and checked out items like the phones to make sure they worked. He also placed my room service order for me as I don't speak Spanish. The room was clean and quiet. Free Internet with ethernet cord was provided but I couldn't use it because I traveled with my iPad which needs Wi-Fi access. I ordered room service because I arrived so late. The hotel lost a star for this because they forgot about my order and I had to wait 45 minutes instead of 20. When it finally arrived, it was a nice tray of ceasar salad and french fries. A lot of food and very tasty. I did have time to eat at the breakfast buffet, which has an ample selection of breads, pastries, fruits and juices. My bed was quite comfortable and I slept well.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel facilities are a bit old (even though the hotel is 5-6 years old only), but are OK (Air Cond., shower, windows/curtains, TV, etc.). The bed is good, but notice that it´s extremely soft... not good if you are used with a firm mattress.
A great service offered is airport pick-up, but it is unreliable - they left me waiting at the airport at 10pm...
If it is the service that makes a hotel a 5-star, Sofitel is definetly not a 5-star.
Downtown location is a plus as it allows you to get to know the city and to have access to restaurants for a change of the hotel´s one (good food)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Malabo "President Palace". I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
I will be happy to meet with you in order to offer you a very personalised service on your next stay in our hotel.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was in Malabo on Business in January. I stayed at the Sofitel because I couldn't stay at the Hilton for the price I was looking for. Big mistake. I ended up staying for two nights. It was horrible. The hotel is billed as a five star hotel. Maybe it has all the amenities but they are terrible. The pool area is more like a backyard pool on a roadside motel off of a highway in Florida. The rooms you can see at least the one I stayed in for almost $400 a night used to be at one point a nice room but that is before the mildew on the walls with humid wet spots everywhere. I refuse to guess whether there were spores ! The marble floors in the bathroom were full of spots of things I'd rather not think of. I never dared walk around barefoot anywhere in the room. It never gave you that confidence you need to take such a risk. The toilet seat also was cheap and flimsy again spotty with cigarette burn marks and other things.(I asked for a non smoking room!) Whomever cleaned the room didn't care how they did it because you could clearly see that the guest who stayed there before left some traces shall we say that housekeeping never bothered to clean.
When I tried to go to sleep there was a party hosted right outside my window maybe I should say at my window. I had people leaning and leaving their beer bottles right there. I asked for a pool side room my mistake! I should have known be specific and refuse "pool level".
The reception area is small and cramped with the staff and everyone watching your every move if you happen to be there waiting for someone or have a meeting. The restaurant lunch (I only bothered once) when I decided to eat from the buffet which I hate because you have everyone handling the food was absolutely horrid. I really got sick later. I only had the buffet because I waited almost forty minutes at the poolside for a waiter to just bring the menu so that I could order a la carte. I got the message the staff didn't want to serve a la carte. What is it with these hotels that don't bother to tell their staff to use clean clothes and deodorant if they are going to be serving people ? Some of the waiters reeked of body odor. I know I am supposed to be culturally sensitive and handle this issue with care but honestly I am beyond caring. If an international chain is going to be charging hundreds of dollars for a room per night then they should instruct their staff to keep clean and reeking of fermented body odor is not part of the deal ! I am sorry but I really am tired of this.
The receptionists were helpful, I should say some of them because the others had the symptoms associated with people who think they are part owners of the establishment they work for and therefore disdain customers or guests because in their minds they are better and more important. I think it's a defense mechanism for some who are in the hospitality business who really shouldn't be in that business.
I have many other complaints but you get my drift stay at the Hilton. It is better for your overall health!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor you will end up with a room at pool level with people having beers...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank daniel g

Dear Mr Daniel,

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Sofitel Malabo is a good option to stay, when you visit Malabo and you need a place that can accommodate business and leisure.

The hotel prices in Malabo are excessively high, due to high demand and low supply. So, as Sofitel is probably one of the most expensive hotels in town, at least either try other hotel options or do try a good bargain for your stay.

Overall, the hotel is placed in an old very nice and central Colonial Building, that used to house University Students in the old years. It has been renovated, but still it is an old building and you can see that also in the walls and installations within the rooms.

Sofitel offers a very good stay in Malabo, as it is very centrally located and in walking distance from Cafe Malabo (a nice evening venue with jazz music on Fridays/Saturdays), it is also very very close, a 2-minute walking distance, to Budha Bar and the other places in the same street for evening drinks and dinner, it is close to Hermanos Martinez (a small supermarket to buy things if you need).... but the restaurant is not so good, although over-priced.

Also, the hotel has good spacious rooms, spacious bathrooms, good internet connection, and a swimming-pool, all of which will really make your life easier in a city that is just now becoming a more developed capital, and which inevitably comes with a lot of challenges.

The best person for us in this hotel, during our 3-month stay, to help us out with all our requests was Baptiste do Paco; so if he is still there when you visit, he can really be the person to help you with everything that you may need.

By the time we left, some other great hotels had opened up which are really worth to try and stay at, if their prices permit, such as the Hilton (a beautiful newly-built hotel with great restaurant and buffet!), Ibis (for lower budgets), and the Sofitel Sipopo, which however is very far away from the capital city, in Sipopo, a conference venue town.

Another good option for Malabo is Tres Agosto, a very nice and clean hotel, with prices that are just a bit lower than Sofitel's in Malabo, while the rooms are more spacious and Roland, the GM, may be able to even accommodate you in apartment-styled rooms that have also inside small kitchenettes, washing machines, etc.

Good luck and try to bargain at least!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Ouri T

Dear Mr Ouri,

Reviewed December 21, 2011

I am surprised by the other reviews of this hotel. The Sofitel in Malabo is DEFINITELY not up to normal Sofitel standards. I was here several times on business before the opening of the new Hilton which blows Sofitel out of the water. While good for Malabo, there are so many disfunctions... the internet actually does not work in the rooms, the lunch buffet is recycled over several days (I noticed one of the serving pans with the exact same amount of food taken out over 3 days) and the bar services is awful. It's only redeemed by Ana who is helpful and a decent pool area. Definitely go stay at Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank JLM235

Farhaad Baboorally

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malabo
Sofitel Malabo Sipopo Le Golf
0 mi away
Grand Hotel Djibloho
Grand Hotel Djibloho
#1 of 1 in Djibloho

Been to Sofitel Malabo? Share your experiences!